Skip navigation

English Language Center

Degree Programs

English Language Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I ready to study at the ELC?

The English Language Center is an intensive English language program. To be successful here, students MUST have some knowledge or prior study of English before they begin. The ELC does not offer basic ESL courses. Students must be able to read, write and speak English well enough to understand classroom commands, talk about family, home and themselves. Students may take this quiz to see if they are ready to study at the ELC.

If a student arrives at the ELC for orientation and testing and tests into a true beginner level he or she will be asked to transfer to another program.

What do I need to send in to apply?

As a new ELC-only student, the following items will need to be submitted:

  1. a completed application
  2. an original bank statement or financial guarantee
  3. a copy of your passport name page and
  4. the $75 application fee. Apply

If you are a transfer student, these additional documents will need to be submitted:

  1. Copy of I-20 from current school
  2. Copy of US visa
  3. Copy of latest transcripts
Can I send all my documents by email or as attachments to the online application?

Yes, the passport copy, letter of financial guarantee and proof of application fee payment can all be e-mailed or attached to the online application.

How can I pay the application fee?

The application fee can be paid by credit card at the end of the online application. The fee can also be paid by cash, check or wire transfer. We do NOT accept money orders.

When is your application deadline?

Applications are accepted until all spaces are filled. Please submit your application as soon as possible to ensure acceptance to the quarter of your choice. Check the website for important deadlines. There are no waitlists and applications will not be accepted after the deadline.

I've already submitted my application online. What is the next step?

Applications take several days to process. We will send an update by e-mail to inform you if any documents are missing from your application.

How long before I get my acceptance documents?

When we receive your completed application (all required documents), it will take approximately one week to prepare the documents and 7-10 days for you to receive it from e-Ship Global.

Can I choose my level?

At the beginning of each quarter the ELC has testing and orientation sessions for all new students. Students are placed into the correct level based on these tests.

What are the tests like?

There will be reading and writing tests as well as an interview during the testing and orientation sessions. You do not need to study for the test.

When do classes begin and end?

The English Language Center is on the quarter system, just like DU. Academic Calendar

The ELC has classes between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Students are in class for 20 hours a week.

What are the costs?

Please see the Tuition and Fees page.

Even if you are living with friends or family, you still must show you have money to pay for housing. This is a US government requirement.

Why do I need health insurance?

Health care in the US is very expensive. It can cost many thousands of dollars to go to the hospital. Health insurance companies pay most of those costs for you if you buy a health insurance plan. The University of Denver and the State of Colorado require you to have health insurance. It is the law. You can show proof of insurance from your home country or purchase insurance online during registration. Medical insurance coverage must begin the day a student enters the U.S. This video helps explain how health insurance in the U.S. works and how to get care when you are sick or injured.

For more information about health insurance please visit The Health and Counseling Center.

What is the difference between the health fee and health insurance?

The health fee allows you to see DU doctors for minor illnesses, like a sore throat or a cold, for no additional cost. (Medicine will cost more.) Health insurance covers major injuries and hospital stay. If you are sick, you can visit the DU doctors first. They can usually treat you. If not, they can help arrange for you to go to the hospital or see a specialist. This video helps explain how health insurance in the U.S. works and how to get care when you are sick or injured.

Does admission to ELC give me admission to DU?

No. You must apply separately to each. You can be conditionally admitted to the University - that means that after you have met the English requirement, you can be admitted fully to the University. But, being accepted to the ELC does not mean that you are admitted to DU. Visit the Office of International Admission for more information on undergraduate studies. Graduates, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies at