CAC II Series: Group Counseling Skills
July 26 - July 28
8:00am - 5:00pm
Thursday, July 26 - Saturday, July 28, 2018
The Center for Professional Development is proud to offer Certified Addiction Counseling Trainings at the University of Denver. Join instructors Thea Wessel and Erin Gazelka and take the courses you need to complete your certification.
Location: University of Denver Campus
Price: $419 per attendee
Upon completion of this training class, the participant will be able to:
- Select an appropriate strategy from accepted and culturally appropriate models for group counseling with clients who have substance use disorders
- Demonstrate how to choose appropriate strategies for special populations in group therapy such as women and adolescents
- Perform the actions necessary through actual practice facilitation, to include:Opening and closing a group, Setting group norms and goals, Managing group process, Facilitating the entry of new members in an existing group, and transitioning members out of group
- Understand the concepts of “process” and “content,” their differences and how to move the group toward one or the other
- Demonstrate ability to manage difficult group behaviors as well as sensitivity to group dynamics such as crying, angry outbursts, challenge for leadership of group, etc.
- Create an individualized progress note based on group topic and client participation in that group
- Demonstrate effective motivational interviewing strategies and techniques in group facilitation
For more information contact the Center for Professional Development at [email protected] or 303-871-4161
This course is being offered for 21 contact hours through the University of Denver. The Center for Professional Development maintains responsibility for this content.