Skip navigation
Financial Aid

Summer Aid

Information for Undergraduates

Applications can be submitted beginning April 2nd.  For priority consideration and processing, submit your summer aid application by the priority deadline of May 4th. Regardless of when your application is processed, however, it is your responsibility to pay the charges on your student account when those charges become due.

Institutional Aid Eligibility

Institutional aid eligibility is determined by the information provided on your 2017-18 FAFSA and CSS Profile applications, as well as your expected enrollment. If you're an undergraduate student enrolled in a DU degree program, you'll receive a summer grant comparable to the amount of merit- and need-based funding you received each quarter during the 2017-18 academic year. 

Important Note: If your actual summer quarter enrollment changes from what you indicated on your application, we will automatically adjust the amount of your DU Summer Grant to reflect the correct enrollment status. For example, if you expect to take 12 credits and are eligible for $3,000 in a summer grant, but actually take 8 credits instead, your summer grant will be reduced to $2,000.

A summer grant can only help pay for classes taken during summer quarter—not for summer or fall interterms.

Federal Aid and Loan Eligibility

Federal Aid: In order to receive federal aid for the summer term, you must have submitted a 2017-18 FAFSA and need to be enrolled in at least 6 credits; if are you enrolled in less than 6 credits, you may apply for private loans only. You will be awarded any Federal Direct loans or Pell Grants for which you are eligible. Summer is considered the last term of the 2017-18 academic year; therefore, your eligibility for both Direct loans and Pell Grants will depend on what you have already received in the fall, winter, and spring quarters.

Parent PLUS Loans: Parents of dependent students who are enrolled in at least 6 credits may borrow a PLUS loan to help finance the cost of the summer term. To apply, both a Master Promissory Note and an Application must be completed online through Parents will need to pass a credit check, or have a credit-worthy endorser, in order to receive this loan.

Private Education Loans: If you will not be enrolled in at least 6 credits, you can apply for a private education loan directly with the lender of your choice. When applying for a private loan, please be sure to use a loan period of 6/18/2018 - 8/16/2018 on the application.

Student Employment

Work-study employment ends on June 7, 2018 for the 2017-18 academic year. If you are awarded Work-Study for the 2018-19 academic year, you may begin working as early as July 9, 2018.

Other work opportunities are available for students seeking employment over the summer. Visit the Student Employment website or contact them at 303-871-6792 or at for more information.

Information for Summer Starts

If you will be starting classes for the first time in the 2018 Summer term, you do not need to complete the online summer aid application. Instead, you will need to complete the 2017-18 FAFSA (and a 2017-18 CSS Profile if you are an undergraduate student not enrolling in the Women's College or University College). Once submitted, you will receive an award letter via email within 2-3 weeks.