Skip navigation
Undergraduate Financial Aid

Undergraduate Financial Aid

Types of Aid

83% of DU students receive some form of financial aid.

student skateboarding

Grants, scholarships, loans and student employment are all considered financial aid. Because loans must be repaid and student employment must be earned, they are sometimes referred to as "self-help." Because grants and scholarships do not have to be earned or repaid, they are sometimes referred to as "gift aid" or "free money." Your financial aid package will likely consist of a combination of awards from various types of aid programs. (Note: All financial aid at DU can be used only for standard quarter classes--interterm courses are not eligible for aid.)


Tuition Benefits

Students who apply for admission to DU are automatically considered for merit scholarships, and those who are eligible are notified in their acceptance letter. If you are a child of a DU employee, you may not receive both a tuition waiver and an admission merit award. If at any time you are no longer receiving the tuition waiver benefit, your merit scholarship will be reinstated for the rest of your time at DU.

Tuition waivers are included as a part of your total financial aid package, and the combination of your grants, scholarships, loans and tuition waiver cannot exceed your cost of attendance. If you believe this is the case, please contact our office--we may need to adjust your financial aid award.

Additional information about employer reimbursements and third party direct payments is available from the Bursar's Office. Information about the tuition waiver benefit for DU employees is available from Human Resources.


Military Benefits

You may be eligible for benefits based on your affiliation with the military.

Currently Serving

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.


If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2011, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Spouse or Child of a Veteran

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member's Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you. For example, if you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.

Yellow Ribbon Program at DU

The University of Denver participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program to help cover additional costs. For the 2017-18 academic year, the University of Denver will contribute $5,000 to eligible students in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The VA will then match that contribution for an additional $5,000 in educational benefits.

You must complete and submit an Application for Certification of Enrollment to the Registrar in order to be certified and receive your veteran benefits.

Questions about the application or certification process for veteran benefits? Contact Liza Ramirez in the Registrar's Office at or 303-871-4878.

Questions about tuition assistance? Contact the Bursar's Office at or 303-871-4944.