Skip navigation
Undergraduate Financial Aid

Types of Aid

Federal Grants

Federal grants are awarded based on need, which is determined by the FAFSA. To be eligible, you must be an undergraduate student enrolled in a degree or certificate program. You do not need to repay a federal grant.

To be considered for these awards, you must file the FAFSA. The following grants can be packaged together with DU aid if you also file the CSS Profile.

Federal Pell Grant

  • Award amounts vary up to $6,095 for the 2018-19 academic year.
  • Amounts may be prorated if you are not enrolled full time (at least 12 credits) or you don't attend DU for a full academic year.
  • Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) must be less than $5,487 for the 2018-19 academic year.
  • The maximum amount of funding you can receive over your lifetime is the equivalent of receiving the Pell Grant for 6 years.
  • Learn more at

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

  • Awarded to students with exceptional financial need.
  • Students with an EFC of $0 are given priority due to limited funding.
  • Award amounts vary between $100 and $4,000 annually.
  • Amount of grant depends on when you apply, financial need and available funding.
  • Learn more at

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

  • May be available to students whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. 
  • You must be ineligible for the Pell Grant due only to having a higher EFC than is required to receive Pell funds, and
  • You were under 24 years old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of your parent or guardian's death.
  • Award amount up to $5,550.
  • Learn more at