Skip navigation

Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence

Health & Counseling Center

Health & Counseling Center

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the University of Denver Health and Counseling Center (HCC)?

A: HCC is an outpatient, on-campus facility that provides a wide range of medical and mental health services, as well as health promotion services. HCC staff includes physicians, nurses, counselors, physician assistants, health educators and other professionals.

Q: Who can use the HCC?

A: All students enrolled for academic credit (full-time/part-time/undergraduate/ graduate) may obtain care at the HCC. Costs will vary based on whether you have paid the Health & Counseling Fee, the Student Health Insurance Plan, or if you have private insurance. University of Denver faculty and staff members can obtain up to six sessions of free counseling at the HCC as part of their EAP (Employee Assistance Plan) benefit.

Q: If I have my own doctor in the area, would I still use the HCC?

A: Many students who use a local physician also use the HCC. Below are just a few reasons why:

  • It's conveniently located right here on campus.
  • If you're sick or injured, or have a mental health concern, we are often able to see you the same day—you do not have to leave campus or wait days for a visit.
  • You can obtain most prescription medications right here, instead of having to go to a pharmacy off campus.
  • Upon your request, we will be glad to provide your personal physician with any information about your health care at the HCC or obtain information from your physician about your past medical history.
Q: Where is the HCC located?

A: In the Ritchie Center, 3rd floor North (Buchtel) side

Q: When is the HCC open and what numbers do I call?
A: Hours are as follow:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday (All year)
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesdays (All year)
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Contact numbers are as follow:
  • Phone: 303-871-2205
  • Fax: 303-871-4242
  • Nursing: 303-871-4133
  • Prescription Refills: 303-871-4199
  • Health and Counseling Fee/Insurance: 303-871-4136
  • After hours for medical concerns: 303-871-2205 and follow instructions on how to access the on-call physician
  • After hours for mental health concerns: 303-871-3000 and ask to speak with the counselor on call
Q: What do I do if I have a healthcare emergency?

Medical Emergencies: Call 911 or Campus Safety at 303-871-3000 in a true life-threatening medical emergency (severe injuries, severe bleeding, unconsciousness etc.). An ambulance will arrive to transport you to the nearest emergency room. For non life-threatening medical concerns, contact our nurse or after-hours medical provider by calling 303-871-2205 and follow the instructions for reaching the provider on-call.

Mental Health Emergencies: In case of a mental health crisis or emergency during business hours, call 303-871-2205 or if you are able, walk over to the HCC. For after- hours emergency calls, please contact Campus Safety at 303-871-3000 and ask to speak to the counselor on call. An on-call counselor is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all university students.

Q: Where is the closest hospital or Urgent Care Center?
Porter Adventist Hospital
2525 South Downing Street
Denver, CO 80210
Phone: 303-778-1955

Rocky Mountain Urgent Care
3601 S Clarkson St #100, Englewood, CO 80113
(720) 974-7464
Mon - Fri  8am – 7pm, Sat 9am -4pm, Sun 9am - 3pm

Concentra Urgent Care
875 South Colorado Blvd, Denver, CO  80246
(303) 388-3627
Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm, Sat 8am - 6pm, Sun 10am - 6pm

Doctors Express Urgent Care
760 S. Colorado Blvd Denver, CO 80246
(303) 692-8000  
Mon - Fri 8am - 8pm, Sat - Sun 8am - 5pm  

*Costs for Urgent Care or Emergency Department visits will vary with your health insurance plan. There are other hospitals in the area that may be “preferred providers” with your insurance plan so you may want to check your coverage.

Q: What is the Health & Counseling Fee? Do I have to pay it?
  • Costs $195 per enrolled academic quarter. Semester students fee is $292 per semester.
  • Allows convenient access to the HCC for very low cost.
  • Covers the cost of many on-campus health care and counseling services at the HCC for a low copayment (fee), currently $15.
  • Specialty care, laboratory tests, and other services may have higher costs.
  • HCF does not cover any off-campus healthcare services, prescriptions, hospital care, or X-rays.
  • Full time undergraduate students are automatically covered by the HCF since they are required to pay the HCF for any quarter they are enrolled for more than 6 credits.
  • Graduate students have the option to waive this fee. If you do waive the fee and seek care at the HCC, you will be charged the full fee at the time of service and you can then submit the bill to your insurance company. 
  • For more information:
Q: How is the Health & Counseling Fee different than the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)?

A: The Health & Counseling Fee covers most services provided at the HCC for a low out- of-pocket expense. The SHIP is a private health insurance plan offered to DU students. It is a comprehensive health insurance plan that covers hospital care, emergency room visits, prescription drugs, x-rays, and all other healthcare provided outside of DU. If you purchase the SHIP, you must use the HCC as your primary care clinic. The SHIP is optional and students may purchase their own private insurance plan instead.

For more information:

Q: I paid the Health & Counseling Fee. Is my care free at the HCC?

A: If you paid the fee, most services are provided for a low co-payment of just $15. Some types of visits and services will cost more. You can inquire about specific costs by speaking with one of our Healthcare Administrative Specialists at 303-871-2705.

Q: I have private health insurance and I didn’t pay the Health & Counseling Fee. Can I still use the HCC? Will you bill my insurance company?

A: Any DU student can obtain their healthcare at the HCC. However, if you didn’t pay the Health & Counseling Fee you will be expected to pay the full charge at the time of service. You will be given an invoice that you can submit to your health insurance company for reimbursement. The HCC does not currently bill third party health insurance companies.

Q: How do I get additional information about medical and counseling services and costs at the HCC?

A: Please call us at 303-871-2205 with questions or stop by the HCC. We're located in the Ritchie Center, 3rd Floor, north side. We are happy to answer any questions you may have and also have a medical and mental health issue resource library available for your use.

Q: Can my spouse see a provider at the HCC?

A: The HCC only provides healthcare for currently enrolled DU students. Spouses may participate in couples counseling with their enrolled partner, but they aren’t eligible for individual counseling or medical care at the HCC.

Q: Can I receive long term counseling at the HCC?

A: The HCC typically adheres to a time-limited model of counseling. The Health & Counseling Fee covers up to 10 counseling visits per academic year for a copayment of $15. Longer term counseling may be available on a case-by-case basis and costs will be established based on your insurance coverage.

Q: What is the charge for services provided by CAPE?

A: Any student or staff member who is the survivor of gender violence, sexual assault, domestic violence, or stalking is eligible for free advocacy and support services at the HCC. Services are completely confidential.

Q: Can my parents see my medical or counseling records?

A: If you are over 18, your healthcare records are protected by State and Federal privacy laws known as HIPAA. Your parents may not have access to your records without your signed consent. However, in the case of serious healthcare emergency, the HCC may decide it is in your best interests to notify your parents.

Q: I’ve been sick all week and haven’t been able to attend class. Will an HCC doctor write me an excuse letter?

A: HCC healthcare providers will not write retroactive absence-excuse letters. In certain circumstances, if you have been ill and receiving treatment at the HCC, your provider will recommend that you not attend class and then he or she will write a letter on your behalf.

Q: What medical services are available at the University of Denver Health Counseling HCC?

A: The following medical services are available:

  • General medical care for illnesses and injuries
  • Women's health care
  • Non-surgical sports medicine
  • Specialist services (except in Summer): Dermatology, Gynecology, Nutrition
  • Preventive medicine services
  • Procedures, EKG's, IV infusions, immunizations, allergy shots, injections
  • Lab tests
  • Confidential STD/STI testing (including HIV testing)
  • Discounted prescriptions and birth control
  • Travel health advice / travel immunizations
  • Immunizations (including MMR and HPV)
  • Nursing consultation and assessment
  • Same day appointments for illness/injury
  • After hours on-call service
  • Referral services
Q: What counseling services are available at the HCC?

A: The following counseling services are available:

  • Counseling/Psychotherapy (individual, couples, group) 10 session model for students
  • Psychological testing (e.g., for learning disabilities and attention deficit disorder)
  • Crisis intervention and emergency services (24 hours/day, 7 days/week)
  • Psychiatric consultation (medication management) when referred by HCC medical or counseling staff
  • Consultation/Outreach
  • Sport psychology, health psychology, and behavioral medicine
  • Training and research
  • Referral services