Skip navigation

Student Life

Health & Counseling Center

hcc ritchie center

Travel Medicine

Health & First Aid

When you travel, remember to pack your own first aid kit. The first aid kit can be customized for each traveler depending on specific needs, such as prescriptions necessary for high altitude destinations, or medical prescriptions for conditions like allergies.

First Aid Kit Packing List

  • All personal medications, including prescription and over-the-counter medications and diabetic supplies. Take all the medication needed for the entire duration of travel, and some extra in case your travel plans change unexpectedly. Pack it in your carry-on luggage.
  • Copies of prescriptions, including the generic names, and a note from your doctor if you require controlled substances or injectable medications.
  • Antimalaria medications as recommended.
  • Travelers' diarrhea medication, including antibiotics, if recommended.
  • Medication to treat altitude sickness if indicated.
  • Antihistamines (e.g., Benadryl, Chlor-Trimeton).
  • Decongestants (e.g., Sudafed, nasal spray).
  • Motion sickness medication if you are prone to that problem.
  • Acetaminophen, aspirin, or ibuprofen for treating pain and/or fever.
  • Mild laxative (constipation is common after long flights and car trips).
  • Throat lozenges.
  • Antacids.
  • Antifungal and antibacterial creams or ointments (e.g., Tinactin, Polysporin).
  • 1% hydrocortisone cream.
  • Epinephrine auto-injector (Epi-Pen) if you or a traveling companion has severe allergies.
  • Insect repellent with DEET (aim for 30 to 40% DEET content).
  • Sunscreen with SPF of 15 or greater.
  • Thermometer.
  • Bandages/Bandaids, gauze, Ace wrap.
  • Tweezers, scissors.
  • Antibacterial hand sanitizer.
  • Moleskins for blisters.
  • Water purification tablets.

This information provides a general overview on this topic and may not apply to everyone. To find out if this information applies to you and to get more information on this subject, call the Student Health and Counseling Center or talk to your family doctor.