Skip navigation

Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence

Health & Counseling Center

hcc ritchie center

Travel Medicine

Study Abroad

If you are planning on traveling abroad, you may need immunizations prior to leaving the country. As soon as your travel program has been approved, schedule a travel physical at the University of Denver Health and Counseling Center (HCC),at least 4-6 weeks before you travel. It is important to allow enough time for immunizations because many take time to become effective and some must be administered in a series. Generally, health risks and illness are greater in developing countries than developed countries.

Study Abroad Checklist

Below is a check list of health-related tasks to complete prior to studying abroad. Please refer to the Centers for Disease Control website for more information.

  • Schedule your travel physical at the HCC at least 4-6 weeks prior to leaving the country.
  • You will need your updated immunization record so travel vaccines can be recorded. If you have a copy of your immunization record, please bring it to your appointment. If you do not have a copy, please ask if we have a copy on file when you call to schedule your appointment.
  • Please have a general idea of all regions you intend to visit, as well as activities that you are interested in participating in, so appropriate vaccinations can be administered.
  • If you will be taking birth control or other medications, you will need to take a large enough supply to last while you are abroad. We can write the prescription.
  • You will also need to take a written prescription of all medications, including birth control, in case you need a refill while abroad.
  • Put together a traveler's health kit. Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website to view a list of suggested items or talk to your health care provider.
  • Visit the Traveler's Health section on CDC website to see specific guidelines and current notices about the country you will be traveling in.

Did you Know?

Traveling in a malaria-endemic area? Some anti-malarial pills must be taken for a week before traveling into an infected area.

Travel Medicine Resources