Skip navigation


Housing-Related COVID-19 Updates

With the growing state, national, and global concerns surrounding the COVID-19 virus, Housing & Residential Education has been in close contact with the Chancellor and the University's Administration to ensure compliance with any CDC and Colorado Department of Public Health mandates and requirements. Below are a list of frequently asked questions that have been received thus far, to help provide clarity and direction for our on-campus residential student population. Additionally, please visit the university's FAQ page about housing for the 2020-2021 academic year.

Please be aware that the University of Denver has established a specific website for any and all University-wide updates regarding the virus. For more information within the state of Colorado, please visit this page. For information specific to the city and county of Denver, please visit their website. This page is a working document and will be updated as we receive any questions that will be helpful for DU students and community members.

The university has also set up a Student FAQ page and a Families FAQ page, both of which have helpful information about how the virus affects our campus, our students, and our DU families. Additionally, the university has various resources available to students who may be facing financial hardships during this time. For more information about these resources, please visit the Student Outreach & Support website.

Our department will continue to update this page as we receive more questions and updates to share out. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to the following resources:

  • Health & Counseling Center
    • (303) 871-2205
  • Campus Safety
    • (303) 871-2334 (Non-Emergency)
    • (303) 871-3000 (Emergency)
  • Housing & Residential Education

Frequently Asked Questions

Are the dining halls open during this time?

Residential Dining

  • Centennial Halls
    • Lunch 11 am - 1 pm
    • Dinner 5 pm - 7 pm
      • Students can swipe for additional breakfast items during dinner
  • Centennial Halls C-Store
    • Located within the Centennial Halls dining room
What is the difference between isolation and quarantine or social distancing?

Isolation occurs when an individual has a confirmed positive COVID-19 case and is instructed by health officials to remain isolated in their space while they recover. Quarantine is a situation where you are not sick but asked to:

  • Limit your time in public (social distancing)
  • Monitor your symptoms
  • Seek care should you become sick (fever, cough, and shortness of breath)

Persons in quarantine ARE allowed to leave their room/apartment for fresh air, to grab food, but they should not be gathering together in social spaces (no class, no meetings, no work, no events).

Are there storage options on campus for students who need to leave some of their belongings?

The university does not have on-campus storage options for students at this time.

What should I or my student do about mail and packages?

Students who would like to forward their mail can log in to their PioneerWeb account and navigate to the Student tab. From there, they can update their My Person Profile (located in the upper-right corner of the page). Students can also submit a mail forwarding request with the local Post Office, for a $1.05 fee. To get started, students can visit the USPS website.

For mail and packages that have already been received, HRE will work to forward all mail and packages that they can, to students' permanent or mailing address on file. Students can ensure the right address is on file by checking their My Person Profile in PioneerWeb. Mail or packages that cannot be forwarded will be returned to sender. 

What is the guest policy for students who cannot leave campus during this time?

To best protect our students and community members, students who cannot leave campus are not permitted to bring guests into the residence hall or apartments communities.

My car is still on campus and I'm unable to come pick it up. Can it stay here?

Please contact DU Parking Services at or 303.871.3210 for all questions regarding parking.

What is HRE's policy on quarantines if a student returns to campus after traveling?

The university and HRE has been, and will continue, working with the CDC and the Colorado Department of Public Health and will provide spaces for quarantine per their advice or request, if space is available. Students who leave campus are not permitted to return until further communication from the university, and community access to buildings has been removed from ID cards. Students who are on campus and may need to be quarantined should work in conjunction with the Health and Counseling Center, Housing & Residential Education, and their doctor/care team to decide the best course of action for them.