Skip navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to Your Frequently Asked Questions

Residence Hall Community

How do you match up roommates?

First-year and new transfer students are matched based on the answers they provide to the questions on their application. First-year and new transfer students may also request a specific roommate. Upper-class returning students have the opportunity to select their roommates and suitemates at room-selection time in the spring for the next school year.

I am concerned about a friend. Is there a way I can report this?

Yes. You can always talk with your RA or residence hall staff.  In addition, DU has created an online tool just for this purpose. Visit SOS Referral for more information.

What is the University Hoverboard Policy?

The University of Denver is committed to providing a safe place to study, live, and work. Due to potential fire hazards and other safety concerns raised by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, effective immediately, the University prohibits the use, possession, or storage on campus of all self-balancing scooters, also referred to as battery-operated hoverboards, skateboards, self-balancing boards, or any similar devices. This prohibition will remain in effect until a determination is made that these devices no longer present safety concerns. In order to ensure campus safety, any self-balancing scooter found on campus may be confiscated, disposed of, and/or destroyed.

Living Areas

Are there any single-sex floors, or are all the floors in all the halls coed?

All of the floors in all of the residence halls are coed, with the exception of Centennial Halls. Centennial Halls has coed floors, all-male floors, and all-female floors. The specific numbers and locations of the single-sex floors in Halls change each year depending on the number of male and female students who apply to live on campus.

What should I do if I think I have bed bugs in my room?

If you think you have bed bugs in your room, check out of bed bug information webpage.

How is the climate controlled in each room?

All of our units have thermostats.

Are there window blinds in every room?

All rooms have either blinds or curtains.

Where do students do laundry?
We have central laundry facilities on the main floor of each residence hall. WASH Multifamily Laundry Systems is the laundry equipment and service provider at DU an provides students the ability to pay for laundry using their phone or mobile device! Simply download the Speed Queen Insights app, enter the DU code (W10004), and add funds to the app from any credit card, debit card or banking account. The app will also show students how busy the laundry room is at the current time and notify them when their laundry is done. Students can also ask for live assistance 24/7 via the chat feature in the app. To start a washer or dryer, students simply open the app and scan the bar code to activate the machine. Directions are on the wall in each laundry room, as well.
Do you provide custodial services?

The common areas (including hallways, lounges, and common bathrooms) are cleaned by our custodial staff each day. Individual units (rooms and suites) are cleaned by the residents who live there. 

What size are the beds in the residence halls?

Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long(36"x80"x7"). Beds may be bunked; bunk bed pins are available at the front desks.  Bunk bed safety rails are also available upon request.   

What else does the room come with?

Each room comes with a dresser, desk, desk chair and closet for each resident.

Dressers measure 19"x30"x30" with drawers measuring 19"x30"x5 1/4". 

Desks measure 22 1/4"x 42 1/2" x 30" with three drawers measuring 15 1/2"x12 1/2"x5 1/4" and one drawer measuring 15 1/2"x20 3/4"x 2 1/4". 

Most closets in Centennial Halls measure 98" tall x 47 3/4" wide; in Centennial Towers most closets measure 98" tall x 45 3/4" wide; in Jmac most closets measure 30.5" deep x 46" wide x 62.5 " tall up to the first shelf and about 1 foot above each of two shelves.

Rooms and suites without kitchens have microfridges that have a 2.13 cubic foot refrigerator, a .75 cubic foot freezer, a .7 cubic foot 700 watt microwave oven.  The entire unit measures approximately 44" high x 19" wide x 20" deep.

Beds may be bunked; bunk bed pins are available at the front desks.  Bunk bed safety rails are also available upon request.

Housing Contract

When and how will my residence hall grant apply? 

The Residence Hall Grant is a financial award and administered by the Financial Aid Office. 

Eligible on-campus housing includes: Johnson-McFarlane Hall, Centennial Towers, Dimond Family Residential Village, Centennial Halls, Nelson Hall, Nagel Hall, Summit apartments, Mesa apartments, Ridgeline apartments, University Lofts apartments, University Place apartments, Lynn Marie apartments, Transfer Learning Community House (Kappa Sigma house), and Lamda Chi Alpha fraternity.

More details on the award are available in the Financial Aid website.

What happens if my property is lost, stolen, or damaged in the residence halls?

The University of Denver and Housing and Residential Education are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged personal belongings in the residence halls. In addition, the University is not responsible for damage caused as a result of water due to sprinkler system discharge or pipe breaks. If you experience any damaged, stolen, or lost property in the residence halls you should process any claims through your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. We recommend that you consult your insurance policy to confirm that your personal belongings are covered. 

How and when do I mail the $200 deposit?

First-year and new transfer students need to mail a check or money order to the Office of Admissions once the online application is completed. Graduate students are not required to submit a housing deposit.

Why are there housing damage charges on my bill?

If you are responsible for causing damage to our facilities, we will place that charge directly onto your bill. In the case of damages that no one has taken responsibility for, we split the charge to repair that damage among the community members.

Important Dates

What are the important housing dates of the academic year?

For information please see the important dates page.

When can I change rooms?

There will not be a Fall 2020 Room Change Day to avoid any possible transmission or spreading of the novel Coronavirus. Students who wish to inquire about a room change after move-in due to an extenuating circumstance should contact their RA (if there is a roommate conflict) or their building staff.

What is the deadline to petition to be released from the housing contract and/or the 2 year live on requirement?

View information about the petition process .

Dining on Campus

Where can I eat on campus?

There are many places to eat on campus including the pub, the residence hall dining areas and many other smaller retail areas.  To find more information about where to eat and what's being served take a look at the dining page.

Whats the difference between meal plan and flex?

Meal plans include meals and meal plan cash which can only be redeemed at on campus dining areas. Flex allows you the ability to put cash on to your student ID to use at dining areas and restaurants around campus. When using Flex at Sodexo dining locations on campus you save 18% (10% discount and by not having to pay tax).  Flex accounts balances and meal plan cash balances may NOT be transferred.

For more information on meal plans click here 

For more information on flex click here 

When and how do I sign up for/cancel a meal plan?

Students can change or request to cancel* their meal plan online by visiting and logging in with their PioneerWeb credentials, or they can visit the Housing office during business hours (8 AM - 4:30 PM Monday - Friday) to fill out a paper form before the meal plan change deadline. For deadline dates for each quarter, please visit our Important Dates page. 

*First and second year students living on campus must have the 100-Block meal plan or higher and cannot cancel their meal plan without prior approval. Questions about this can be directed to the Housing office by emailing