Skip navigation

Two-Year Live-On Requirement

Two-Year Live-On Requirement

The Live-on Requirement

The two-year live-on requirement is a commitment between the undergraduate students and the University of Denver to enhance the students' experience and success. 

  • Students may request to be released from both live-on and meal plan requirements prior to completing a University Housing Contract. This request is only valid for the academic year of application. At the time of the request, the student must provide documentation of one or more of the following criteria:
    • The student will be living during the academic year at their parent/legal guardian's permanent residence within a twenty-five (25) mile radius of campus;
    • The student is legally married or in a legally-recognized civil union;
    • The student is 21 years of age or older before University housing opens for the academic year;
    • The student resides with their dependent children; or 
    • The student is a transfer student who lived for two years in housing affiliated with the institution of higher education that they previously attended. 
  • The Live-On Release Request Forms are available on the Housing Portal under the Contract Release/Breakage tab at the top of the home page.

Request to Break the Housing Contract and/or Meal Plan Requirements

After June 30, students may only request to break the Housing Contract or Meal Plan requirement for the following reasons:

  • Graduation from DU
  • Official Withdrawal from DU
  • Significant, unanticipated change in circumstances that were beyond the student's control and occurred after the date on which the student executed the Contract. 

Students must complete and submit the Contract Breakage Form and include an explanation of and adequate supporting documentation for the significant unanticipated change in circumstances. The University will review the request and inform the student of the decision. Please refer to your Contract for the Financial Responsibilities regarding contract breakage.

Contact us at for any questions or concerns.