Enroll For Benefits
- Newly hired employees have one month from their date of hire to enroll themselves and their dependents for benefits.
- After that, employees may only change their insurances and flexible spending benefits during the annual Open Enrollment period or as a result of a loss of employment-related coverage or another IRS qualifying change in status.
- In general, benefits coverage begins on the first of the month following the date of hire.
- Insurance premiums for monthly-paid employees are deducted from each payroll check on the first of the month for coverage for that month.
- Insurance premiums for bi-weekly paid employees are deducted from the first bi-weekly payroll check of each month for coverage for that month.
- The University provides a set of "core benefits" which are effective on the date of hire at no cost to the employee.
- These benefits include term life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance.
- The University offers a comprehensive range of group insurance plans that includes, health, dental, life and accidental death and dismemberment coverage.
- These "voluntary benefits" are those for which an employee pays a monthly premium through payroll deductions. The University also contributes to the cost of some of these plans.
Change Your Benefits
- Employees at the University of Denver have an opportunity to elect different benefits during Annual Open Enrollment.
- Annual Open Enrollment is held each year in the spring for the plan year that extends from July 1 of the current year through June 30 of the following year.
- Employees may also modify their benefits plans as a result of an employment-related loss of coverage through a spouse or parent.
- Additionally, employees may also change their benefits selection if they experience an IRS qualifying change in status such as birth, adoption, marriage, divorce, etc.
- In all cases, there is a 30-day window from the change occurrence for the employee to notify the benefits office and submit the appropriate paperwork.
- Annual Benefits Fair and Open Enrollment meeting dates FY2016
- How to navigate through the portal for benefit elections - Open Enrollment FY16
If you experience a change in status or a loss of coverage, or for other benefits questions, please contact the Human Resources Benefits Office at 303-871-7420.