Skip navigation

Human Resources & Inclusive Community

Leaving DU

Employee Support


Checklists for Employees and Managers as Employees Separate from the University

Resignation form (English and Spanish available)

If you are resigning from the University, you can e-mail or provide a written resignation letter to your supervisor.  The following resignation form is available as a tool for employees to utilize but this form is not required.

Resignation form, English

Resignation form, Spanish

Exit interview: we would like to hear from you!

If you are separating from the University and are interested in providing feedback related to your work experience, please complete the DU Exit Interview Form.

If you do not have on-line access or would like to provide information subsequent to completing the on-line form, please contact Employee Relations @ 303.871.3103 to schedule a meeting.

We would like to thank you ahead of time for completing the exit interview process. The feedback that is provided helps guide future Human Resources programming.

Benefit Information

Vacation and Sick Leave Payouts

Accrued, unused vacation will be paid out according to University policy and will be included in your final paycheck. Sick time accrued during your employment will not be paid out upon separation from your employment. 

University Health, Dental and FSA Plans

If, at the time of your separation from the University, you are a current participant in one of our group health or dental plans, this coverage will continue through the end of the month in which you end employment.

Although you will have through the end of the plan year to submit receipts, the last day you will be eligible to incur expenses reimbursable through your Flexible Spending Accounts is your final date of employment with the University. 


University medical, dental and FSA health care reimbursement plans may be continued with accordance with COBRA, which generally allows for coverage continuation for 18 months beyond the separation date at the expense of the employee.

You will receive information from our third-party COBRA administrator, Rocky Mountain Reserve (RMR), with rates and instructions for enrollment. Should you elect to continue your benefits under COBRA, you will be responsible for the entire monthly premium of your benefit (DU portion + Employee Portion + 2% Administrative Fee). Your monthly premiums will be sent directly to RMR. 

You can contact RMR at 1-888-722-1223 or by visiting their website

Request a Loss of Credible Coverage Letter

If you need a letter showing loss of benefit coverage, please email Shared Services or call 303-871-7420.

Retirement Plan

You have several options to manage your retirement accounts after your employment with the University is terminated: 

  • You may roll your account balance over to an Individual Retirement Account (IRA) or other qualified accounts. 
  • You may leave your balance in your current plan. While you can move your balance between funds, you will not be able to contribute any additional funds to your account with this option. 
  • You can withdraw your funds with applicable tax penalties. 

You will need to contact TIAA directly at 1-800-842-2252 for applicable rollover and/or withdrawal forms and information. For general information and to access your account, you can visit TIAA online. 

Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance

Your CORE life insurance, AD&D and disability coverages will cease on your final date of employment.

If you have supplemental life insurance and/or dependent life insurance coverage, this coverage will end at the end of the month in which you separate from employment. 

You may apply to The Hartford, our life insurance carrier, to convert this policy however you must apply in writing and pay the first premium to the insurer within thirty-one (31) days of the effective date of your separation.

The Harford's Portability and Conversion options

Tuition Waiver

Refer to the Tuition Waiver Benefit Overview for information about how your separation will affect those currently utilizing your Tuition Waiver benefit.

If you leave the University in the middle of an academic term, please contact the Shared Services Center to find out how your final bill will be affected.

Other Paycheck Deductions

For any non-DU payroll deductions (loan payments, child support, charitable donations, etc.), you will need to notify the appropriate party.

Parking Permit

You will continue to be billed for your parking permit until it is returned to Parking Services. For additional questions, please contact parking Services at 303-871-3210.

ECO Pass

Please turn in the RTD EcoPass to the Pioneer ID office.