Skip navigation
International Student and Scholar Services

Life at DU

Health & Insurance

The University of Denver is concerned not only with your academic success but also with your physical health and mental well-being.

Health & Counseling Center

The University of Denver's Health and Counseling Center (HCC) is located on-campus in the Ritchie Center on the third floor (map). The HCC also has counseling professionals who can assist students dealing with issues such as grief, stress, anxiety or culture shock. The University provides medical and psychological services through the Health and Counseling Center (HCC) on-campus. The HCC employs highly-qualified doctors, nurses, technicians and counselors to meet your personal health needs. Undergraduate students are required to pay a student health fee each quarter that covers general medical services, including gynecological (female care needs) and in-house testing. The student health fee is optional for graduate students, who may instead pay for medical services on an as-needed basis.

All international students with an I-20 or DS-2019 issued by the University of Denver are required to participate in the University's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) which is included in their tuition and fees unless they have waived the insurance by showing proof of having a comparable plan. Therefore, most of the HCC's services are available to international students for little or no additional expense. If you have questions regarding coverage or cost, please contact the HCC.

Health insurance provides coverage for most routine and unexpected medical expenses. In particular, health insurance may provide coverage for prenatal care and delivery services for pregnant women, but coverage must generally be in place before the pregnancy in order to cover these expenses. Without insurance coverage, medical expenses can be extremely burdensome and are the source of a great deal of debt for many Americans.

The HCC's Information for International Students and Frequently Asked Questions webpages provide more details on its hours and its services.

Proof of vaccination

All students born after 1956 are required to show proof of two MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccinations. Both vaccinations must have been administered after you were one year old, and at least one month apart from each other or longer. Evidence of having had any of these diseases does not satisfy the vaccination requirement. If you have not receive the required MMR vaccinations, you may request them at the Health and Counseling Center.

For more information about the vaccination requirement, or to request vaccination services, please please visit the DU Immunization Requirements webpage.

Overview of US Healthcare System

Health care in the United States is very good but it can be very expensive and the system difficult to understand. This video helps explain how health insurance in the U.S. works and how to get care when you are sick or injured.