Skip navigation
International Student and Scholar Services

International Student Orientation

Required Check-In

Immigration regulations require F-1 and J-1 students to report to International Student & Scholar Services after they arrive in the United States. Students transferring to DU from another school or from the English Language Center must also report to our office upon completing their previous program. 

 To complete your immigration check-in and ensure the registration hold is removed from your account, you must do the following:

1) Attend the International Orientation on August 29th and August 30th, 2019. This will complete the physical presence requirement of your check-in. If you are unable to attend orientation, you MUST inform ISSS by emailing [email protected] or [email protected]

2) Email scanned copies of the items listed below to [email protected] (Please note that you will NOT be able to access your I-94 until you have entered the United States. Please do NOT submit document copies until you enter the U.s. Please also make sure that all scanned documents are legible. 

3) Complete the online check-in form, which will provide ISSS with your U.S address and contact information, which is required for us to complete your registration. 

Documents for Immigration Check-in

  • Current U.S. entry visa (Not valid for citizens of Canda or Bermuda) 
  • Most recent I-94 ( This is only accessible after you enter the United States. 
  • Current passport
  • Colorado address and emergency contact information in PioneerWeb (recommended) or complete the International Check In Survey



  • Insurance Attestation Form (J-1 degree students)
  • Dependent(s) passport, I-20/ DS-2019, Form I-94 arrival/departure card, U.S. entry visa (if your dependents have entered the US related to your program/status)
  • Sponsored students must complete Release of Student Records form (see below)

Sponsored Students

Sponsored students are those who are financially supported by their home government, such as the Kuwait Cultural Office or Saudi Arabian Cultural Mission, or an international agency such as Fulbright, IREX, or OAS.

Sponsored students and their sponsors are supported by the Sponsored Student Program team at ISSS. In order for our team to fully assist sponsored students during their studies at the University of Denver incoming sponsored students are asked to submit the following documents upon arriving to campus:

  1. Release of Student Records-- Instructions for completing this form on a desktop computer can be found here. Using a smart phone to complete the Release? Click here  for instructions
  2. Final Financial Letter-- Please submit to the Sponsored Student Program team by email.

Document to submit after registering for classes:

  1. DU Student Health Insurance waiver-- Information about the waiver and instructions can be found on the Health and Counseling Center's website. Please note the deadline in which the waiver must be received. If the waiver is not submitted by the deadline you will be billed for DU Student Health Insurance. 

A session specifically designed for sponsored students will be held during orientation. All new sponsored students to the University of Denver are required to attend both International Student Orientation and the Sponsored Student Session. 

Removing Registration Holds

A registration hold from International Student and Scholar Services will remain active on your student account until we have copies of your immigration documents and you complete our required immigration regulations session. The INTL provisional hold will generally be removed within one to two business days of your having completed all required steps for check-in.

Students who have an INTL hold should check their emails from ISSS for instructions to get the hold removed. If you have not received an email from our office, please contact us by email at [email protected] for further instructions. We request that include your DU ID in the message to speed up our response.

Non-SEVIS Students

If you are attending DU in an immigration status other than F-1 or J-1 status, you only need to submit copies of your immigration documents to our office. You may email them to [email protected] or bring them to our office in person during walk-in hours.