Skip navigation
Degree Programs


Current Students

There's a lot to keep track of as you pursue a degree, especially in a different country. This page has some of the resources you will need.


The University of Denver wants to see you flourish academically, and has a number of resources available.

For detailed information on academics, you can review our Academic Success Handout.

Academic Resources at DU

If you need help with your academics, ask for it! Asking for help is not a sign of weakness or a lack of intelligence. You are doing something extremely challenging: you are studying in another country with a different educational system--and you are learning in English, which is probably not your native language.

In addition to you academic advisors, professors, and international student advisor, there are resources to help you:

Balancing Immigration and Academics

The difference between immigration and academics can be confusing. Here are some basics:

  • You are in the United States to study. You must do well academically to maintain your immigration status. 
  • Immigration violations that are not related to your academics (unauthorized work, forgetting to extend your I-20) will not negatively impact your academic progress. 
  • Make an appointment with an international student advisor if you are ever uncertain or confused.
    • Keep in mind--international student advisors are not academic advisors. We can help you with immigration and cultural challenges, and we can help you find resources, but you will always need to stay in touch with your academic advisor about classes, grades, and research.


You should have access to enough money to cover your expenses during your stay in the United States. We strongly recommend against relying on on-campus employment to meet your living expenses. You should also not rely on obtaining employment or financial aid to compensate for any deficiency in your funding.

Financial Wellness

Financial wellness is having effectively managed finances and a robust understanding of how money management works. To help students get a better financial education, the University of Denver has partnered with CashCourse to provide a free online financial literacy program to all students.  

You can find information on registering for the course, as well as other financial wellness resources here.

Paying Your Student Bill

Tuition payments are due every quarter. If you do not pay your bill on time, a hold will be placed on your account to prevent you from registering for the next quarter. You can find payment options and instructions on the Bursar's web page.

Assistantships, Scholarships, & Financial Aid

In general, international students are not eligible for federal financial aid or work study positions on campus. Scholarships and graduate assistantships are competitive, and if you are not offered one in your admission letter, you should not count on getting one later. 

You can find listings of non-DU scholarships for international students at StudyUSA and


International students are limited in the types of employment they can engage in. F-1 and J-1 students may work on campus part-time (full time during academic breaks) in positions that are not work-study. You may only work off campus with authorization. Unauthorized off campus employment is a serious violation of your immigration status.

You can can a listing of non-work study positions here and more information about employment authorizations here.


You can't succeed academically if you don't stay healthy--both physically and mentally. All international students are required to have health insurance. We strongly recommend you enroll in health insurance through DU's Health and Counseling Center.

Healthcare and Insurance in the US

Healthcare in the United States is very good, but it can be expensive and the system is difficult to understand. You can read more about it here

Proof of Immunizations

All students born after 1956 are required to show proof of two MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) vaccinations. Both vaccinations must have been administered after you were one year old, and at least one month apart from each other or longer. Evidence of having had any of these diseases does not satisfy the vaccination requirement. If you have not receive the required MMR vaccinations, you may request them at the Health and Counseling Center.

For more information about the vaccination requirement, or to request vaccination services, please please visit the DU Immunization Requirements webpage.


International Student Support Program

We know that being a student and moving to a new country can be tough – we can help!

Brought to you by Morneau Shepell and the University of Denver, the International Student Support Program, known as My SSP is free to use and offers online resources and International Student Support Counselors that can help you succeed while studying in the United States. You can connect with an International Student Counselor who speaks your language, understands your culture and can help you address the unique challenges you face when studying in another country.

Access support from anywhere, anytime by:

• Downloading the free My SSP app from your device's app store (available on Apple and Android devices) to call or chat with a counselor, or access tools

• View the  My SPP App Tutorial Video to learn more about the app. 

• Visiting the website to chat with a counselor, access articles, tools, resources and more!

• Dialing 1.866.743.7732 to speak to a counselor over the phone, available 24/7. If calling from outside of North America, please call 001.416.380.6578

This program is confidential within the limits of the law. No one will know you have reached out unless you choose to tell them.

 You can find more information about the International Student Support Program here