The University of Denver's DU Portfolio is a fully developed web-based application that supports the academic community with a searchable database of electronic portfolios for students, faculty, staff and alumni, and communities.
DU Portfolio is being decommissioned in 2023. Read more about the decommissioning process here.
Frequently Asked Questions: DU Portfolio Replacement
Why are we replacing DU Portfolio?
DU Portfolio is a home-grown platform created in 2003 that the university no longer updates and is no longer sustainable for continued long-term use. It was developed in a time when few viable options for ePortfolios, intranets, and file sharing repositories existed. DU does not have the capacity to address a major failure event and/or possible security vulnerabilities.
When is DU Portfolio going away?
Because DU portfolio is a homegrown system, we do not need to worry about an impending end to a contract. Because we anticipate the needs of DU Portfolio being met by multiple platforms, some which already exist, you may begin moving resources to already-existing repositories at any time. For course-based ePortfolios, Digication is now live and available for use. We intend to decommission DU portfolio completely by approximately summer 2024.
Options for Transitioning to Another Solution
Option 1: Digication
Digication has been approved as an alternate option for Portfolio users with a community profile/ website/ intranet use case, as well as curricular, co-curricular, and professional e-Portfolios.
Digication has essentially all of the same capabilities as DU Portfolio and is very user-friendly. View the Digication website for some examples of its capabilities and sample portfolios. Digication is currently live and available to the DU community. Visit du.digication.com to get started.
Option 2: Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams is available to all DU community members as part of the Office 365 suite. Teams could be a good solution for the following use cases:
- Departmental Intranet
- Committee Resource Page
- Academic Program Management
Review the following videos to see an example of a departmental resource page that has been moved from DU Portfolio to Teams.
- View the full Transition From DU Portfolio to Microsoft Teams training playlist in DU MediaSpace (20 minutes total)
Pros & Cons of Microsoft Teams
- Do it yourself: no request necessary to create a new team or add other users
- Lots of file storage (up to 25 TB per team)
- Roles: Team Owner, Member and Guest Capabilities
- Create multiple channels for the whole team or only certain users
- Archive channels that are no longer needed
- Share with users outside the University
- Collaborate on files in real time
- Chat and video call anyone on Teams
- Not a lot of visual customization
How to Get Started with Microsoft Teams
Anyone can set up a new Team in Microsoft Teams. Refer to the training above or follow the tutorials linked below.
For more information and training materials, visit the IT webpage on Teams.
Option 3: MyDU Pages
MyDU is the University’s internal portal. The Pages feature in MyDU could be a good solution for the following use cases:
- Internal Resource Page
- Basic External Website
Basic information on setting up pages within MyDU can be found in the following article.
Review the following videos to see an example of a basic portfolio page that has been moved from DU Portfolio to MyDU.
- View the full Transition from DU Portfolio to MyDU Pages training playlist in DU MediaSpace (20 minutes total)
Pros & Cons of MyDU Pages
- Define your audience (faculty only, staff only, students of a certain year or college, etc.) or share your page externally
- Each page has a unique, shareable URL
- Internal users can bookmark pages for easy access
- Simple editing platform
- Content is searchable within MyDU
- Only one page (no options to create multiple pages or tabs within pages)
- Basic look and feel (one column layout)
- All content is either public or private
- No file storage or organization
- Limited to two editors
How to Get Started with MyDU Pages
To request a new page in MyDU, submit a ticket here.
Request a Consultation
We understand that this transition is complex and user-specific. If you would like to meet with a member of the IT Software Adoption team to discuss your options for transitioning away from DU Portfolio, submit a Portfolio Decommission Consultation request.