This guide is to be used for installing and running the Cisco AnyConnect VPN on a Mac computer. The following steps will take you through the process of downloading and installing Cisco AnyConnect VPN on your MAC computer. Once complete, you will have the ability to connect to the DU network and any on campus resources that require you to be on the DU network.
To Install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN (Web-based)
- Connect to the Internet, open a browser window and type the following address in the search: vpn-external.du.edu
- Ensure that DU-VPN-Users is selected for the GROUP field and then provide a valid DU ID number and PioneerWeb password to log in.
- After logging in successfully, please click Continue on the next window that appears.
- If prompted to trust the vpn-external.du.edu website for the Java plug-in, click Trust. If prompted to attempt to use Java for installation, click Yes.
- Click Continue to continue connecting to the https://vpn-external.du.edu:443 website.
- If your web-based installation fails, please follow the instructions below for manually installing the Cisco AnyConnect VPN.
To Install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN (Manually)
- After the web-based installation fails, click on the AnyConnect VPN link to download the Cisco AnyConnect installer.
- A .pkg installation file should now have been downloaded onto your computer. Double click on the file to start the installation process.
- Click Continue to proceed through the Introduction.
- Please read the terms and conditions. Then click Continue and then Agree.
- The next step will ask where you would like to install the Cisco AnyConnect VPN. Please select Macintosh HD if it is not selected by default. Then click Install to continue with the installation. If you are prompted with a window to authorize the installation, please use your Mac's username and password.
- Once the installation is complete, the installer should inform you that the Installation was successful. Please click Close to exit out of the installer.
To Connect/Disconnect from the Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- Find the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client by searching Cisco AnyConnect VPN in the Spotlight Search (magnifying glass icon) in the upper right corner of your screen or by opening the Cisco folder within Applications and selecting the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app.
- Once the Cisco AnyConnect VPN program opens, please enter in the following server address: vpn-external.du.edu and then click Connect.
- You should now be prompted for your DU credentials. Please proceed by entering in your DU ID and PioneerWeb password.
- Click Accept on the next window that appears.
- The VPN should now be connected and will be located as an icon in the top toolbar near the clock.
- To disconnect from VPN, click the icon in the top toolbar near the clock and then click Disconnect.
If you have any additional questions, please contact the IT Help Center by phone at 303.871.4700 or online at https://support.du.edu.