Application deadline: December 15 for international applicants
We strongly encourage all international applicants to submit complete applications and supplemental documents on or before the December 15 deadline to be considered for the following fall term. International applications received after this deadline will be reviewed for admission and scholarships on a space-available basis until the class is filled.
NOTE: PhD applications received after January 15 will not be considered.
TOEFL requirements for international students
Official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required of all graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship status, if:
- Your native language is not English, or
- You have been educated in a country where English is not the native language.
Applications will not be processed until the required TOEFL or IELTS score is received. The TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years from the test date.
You may be exempt from English proficiency test requirements if, by the time of matriculation:
- You have earned a post-secondary degree from a formally-recognized/accredited university where the entire language of instruction and examination is English and
- You have attended an English-medium university for all years of study toward the degree program.
NOTE: An exemption of the TOEFL/IELTS requirement does not exempt you from other standardized graduate entrance examinations. All applicants must submit official GRE scores.
Minimum TOEFL/IELTS scores are as follows:
- Internet-based score: 95
- Computer-based score: 240
- Paper-based score: 587
- Minimum IELTS score: 7.0
Special requirements for students with three-year undergraduate degrees
The Josef Korbel School of International Studies will consider applicants to the Master of Arts (MA) degree programs who hold three-year undergraduate degrees if applicants meet the following criteria:
- IBT TOEFL score of 100 or higher for non-native English speakers (Paper-based TOEFL of 600 or higher, ILETS of 7.5 or higher).
- Undergraduate GPA must equate to a "B" in the American system or better. This will be determined by the University of Denver's Office of International Admission.
The Josef Korbel School's MA admissions committee is responsible for ensuring that the aforementioned criteria have been satisfied. No provisional admission or English conditional admission will be granted.
The Josef Korbel School will consider applicants to the PhD degree program who hold three-year undergraduate degrees if they meet the following criteria:
- IBT TOEFL score of 100 or higher for non-native English speakers (non-three year degree IBT minimum is 95).
- Applicants must have completed a Master's degree. Applicants who have yet to receive a Master's degree are still eligible to apply for the PhD program if they expect to receive their MA degree prior to matriculation for the term to which they applied.
The Josef Korbel School's PhD admissions committee is responsible for ensuring that the aforementioned criteria have been satisfied. No provisional admission or English conditional admission will be granted.