Director of the Sié Chéou-Kang Center for International Security and Diplomacy
Office: 162 Sie Cheou Kang Center
Ben M. Cherrington Hall
Josef Korbel School of International Studies
2201 S. Gaylord St
Denver, CO 80208
- PhD Political Science, University of California, San Diego
- MA Political Science, University of California, San Diego
- BA Political Science, University of California, San Diego
Research and Expertise
Global governance, non-state actors, international/global security, civil-military relations
- Professor and Sié Chéou Kang Chair for International Security and Diplomacy, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver (2011-present)
- Inaugural Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Security Studies (JoGSS)
- Awarded Honorary Doctorate for outstanding research in the field of international security and contributions toward the establishment of national and international regulation of private military and security services from the University of St.Gallen School of Management, Economics, Law, Social Sciences and International Affairs.
- Professor of Political Science, University of California, Irvine (2007-present), Director of Program and Center in International Studies (2007-present)
- Professor, George Washington University (2006-2007), Director Institute for Global and International Studies (2004-2007), Associate Professor (1998-2006), Director Security Policy Studies Program (1997-1999), Assistant Professor (1995-1998)
- Assistant Professor, University at Albany, State University of New York (1991-1995)
- Serves on numerous governing and editorial boards and has testified before Congressional Committees and the Commission for Wartime Contracting
- Awarded multiple research grants, including grants from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the John M. Olin Foundation, the Smith Richardson Foundation, and more
Avant, D., Finnemore, M., & Sell, S. (Eds.). (2010). Who governs the globe? Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Avant, D. (2005). The market for force: The consequences of privatizing security. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Avant, D., & Haufler, V. (2012). Transnational organizations and security. Global Crime.
Avant, D. & de Nevers, R. (2011). Military contractors and the American way of war. Daedalus, 140 (3).
Avant, D. & Sigelman, L. (2010). Private security and democracy: Lessons from the US in Iraq. Security Studies, 19 (2).
Avant, D. & de Nevers, R. (2013). Military contractors and the American way of war. In Kennedy, D. (Ed.), The modern American military. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Avant, D. (2010). War, recruitment systems, and democracy. In Kier, E & Krebs, R. (Eds.), In war's wake. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.