Office: 3119 Sie International Relations Complex
Josef Korbel School of International Studies
University of Denver
2201 South Gaylord Street
Denver, CO 80208
- PhD, Columbia University
- MA, Johns Hopkins University
- BA, University of Denver
Research and Expertise
Comparative politics, Middle East politics, democratization, development and transportation networks, transportation security, technology and international affairs
- Professor, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver (1965-present).
- North American Editor of the World Review of Intermodal Transportation Research
- Chair Emeritus of the International Political Science Association's Science, Technology and Public Policy Research Committee
- President of the Denver Council on Foreign Relations
- U.S. Representative for the Transportation Security Cluster of the Network for European Communications and Transportation Researchers (NECTAR)
- He is the recipient of the University's Distinguished Service Award, the International Award for Science and Ethics in Transportation Research (Alliance for Transportation Research), the Educator of the Year award from the Denver Transportation Community, and the Burlington Northern Foundation award for outstanding scholarship.
- He has served as a consultant and reviewer to many governmental agencies such as the Office of Technology Assessment, the National Science Foundation, and the Transportation Research Board.
- Founder of the Intermodal Transportation Institute, University of Denver and served as its Director from 1990-1999.
- Founded and directed the Technology, Modernization and International Studies Program, University of Denver (1975-1984)
- Served as the General Rapporteur for the International Conference on Sustainable Transportation in Developing Countries (Abu Dhabi, 2005) and as the International Co-Chair of the Sustainable Transportation Task Force of the China Council for International Cooperation and Environmental Development (2003-2008)
- Member of the U.S. delegation to the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation's Intermodal Transportation Working Group (2001-2007)
- Participated in several NATO Advanced Research Workshops
- He has received fellowships and grants from The Alliance for Transportation Research, The American Research Institute in Turkey, Columbia University, Johns Hopkins University, the Social Science Research Council, the Ford Foundation, the Sloan Foundation, the US Fulbright Commission, the Social Science Foundation, the Rand Graduate Institute and the European Union's Atlantis Program, the USHEW and the USDOT
- Senior Fellow at various academic institutions including St Antony's College, Oxford University, the Harry S. Truman Institute and the Institute of Advanced Studies (both at Hebrew University, Jerusalem)
- Taught and lectured at numerous universities in Europe, the Middle East and Asia
- INTS 4024: Democracy in the Middle East
- INTS 4384: The Middle East and U.S. Security
- INTS 4503: Advanced Comparative Politics
- INTS 4965: Technology and Sustainable Development