Skip navigation
Degree Programs


Frequently Asked Questions

Check below for answers to frequently asked questions about GHA. 

What are the admission requirements for the Josef Korbel School of International Studies?

Requirements for admission to the University of Denver are:

  • application and application fee ($60 online)
  • one official transcript from each college or university attended
  • official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores taken within the last five years
  • two letters of recommendation
  • statement of purpose
  • resume/curriculum vitae (CV)
  • proof of permanent residence (U.S. visa-holding residents only)
  • See additional requirements for international applicants

For more detailed instructions and guidance on applying to the Josef Korbel School, please visit its admission page.

Does it cost extra to enroll in the certificate program once you are enrolled in the Josef Korbel School?

No. There are no additional costs necessary to enroll in the GHA program. Acceptance into the Josef Korbel School satisfies the financial admission requirements of acceptance into the GHA program.

How long is the program?

Students are asked to complete 35 credits toward the certificate, as well as an internship composed of at least 150 hours.

This internship can also be applied toward any degree program in which you are enrolled within the Josef Korbel School. The 35 credits can be completed over the course of any two-year MA program and are usually coupled with a degree in international development.

See more information on the GHA certificate course requirements.

Can I participate in the certificate program if I am pursuing a different degree?

Yes. The GHA certificate can be completed with any one of the MA degree programs offered at the Josef Korbel School. It is most common to couple the certificate with a MA in international development.

You can also apply to and participate in the certificate program from degree programs outside the Josef Korbel School.

Can I couple a certificate in GHA with a certificate in humanitarian assistance?

Yes. While it is difficult to maneuver the requirements of both certificate programs within the bounds of a specific degree program, it is possible. It is also possible to concentrate in either humanitarian assistance or global health affairs if you're interested but incapable of meeting the requirements for a full certificate in the given timeframe.

What kind of background do I need?

There is no specific background necessary to enroll within the certificate program. Students have joined this program with backgrounds ranging from international relations to biology to political science.

Can I do a thesis?

Yes. In fact, it is not uncommon for the required internship work to act as a base for a thesis.

What kind of job will I get?

Students who take advantage of the global health affairs curriculum typically have either a health-specific or health-inclusive focus in their degree programs.

The health-specific track (GHA certificate) allows them to compete for jobs requiring an Master's of Public Health or related degree.

The health-inclusive track (GHA concentration or, at least, the introductory INTS 4367 course) adds health value to another degree specialization.

See where our alumni have gone with their careers.