Skip navigation

Center for Professional Development

CPD banner faq

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there discounts or scholarships available?

We are committed to making our programs work for all professionals. All DU staff, faculty, students and alumni are eligible for a 10% discount on our programs and we have more steeply discounted rates for this community as available. Military personnel are eligible for the same discount. Finally, we are committed to raising money to support a CPD scholarship fund that can be used to offset registration costs. If you are interested in applying for a scholarship (as available) or donating to fund our scholarship program, please email

Who sponsors continuing education credits?

Psychology continuing education credits (CE) are sponsored by the Graduate School of Professional Psychology.  The University of Denver is accredited as a recognized provider of continuing education credits for mental health professionals (CESAS #2301-25877610).  Social work Professional Development Hours (PDH) are sponsored by the Graduate School of Social Work.  The Graduate School of Social Work is approved to offer National Association of Social Workers (NASW) approved PDH.  Educator PDH are sponsored by the Morgridge College of Education.  The Morgridge College of Education is approved by the Colorado Department of Education to offer PDH. Attorneys can earn Continuing Legal Education (CLE) through the Colorado Supreme Court Board of Continuing Legal and Judicial Education.

I registered for a course or event, but I don't see my location or parking permit. Did I miss it? 

You will receive a reminder email from CPD 24 business hours before every course or event with all pertinent information, including your parking permit (if purchased) and directions, course location, what to bring, etc.

Is more than 24 hours prior to your course or event? We promise we're working to confirm all the course information and get it to you. You will receive it at least 24 hours prior to the start of the course.

Is it fewer than 24 hours prior to your course? Your reminder email was sent to the email that you registered with. If you have multiple emails – please check and see that you didn't register for the course on a different email.

Checked all your emails and its fewer than 24 hours prior to the start of your course? Please email or call 303-871-4161 to have it resent.

Additionally, when you first registered for your event – you should have received a confirmation email with a receipt for your payment from our registration system. Didn't receive this? Please email to have it resent.

Where are CPD events held?

Events are held at various locations on the University of Denver campus and within the local community. Location information will be provided on the registration page for each event, including directions and parking information.  For additional questions, including special accommodations and accessibility questions, please contact the Center for Professional Development at or 303-871-4161.  

Distance education programs are hosted by Canvas, WebEx and ZOOM technologies.

Is parking available for events?

Parking passes are offered for events on the University of Denver campus for an additional fee. Parking passes are emailed to registrants within 24 business hours of the course or event. Directions to the designated parking lot and specificity of parking restrictions will be outlined in the reminder email containing the parking pass PDF or code. Attendees are required to print off the parking pass and display it on their vehicle upon arrival.

What is the attendance policy for events?

While the Center for Professional Development understands that emergencies cannot be avoided, we are required to have the following policy in place for CE accreditation:

  • Attendees who arrive more than 15 minutes after registration closes on the day of the event will lose one (1) full hour of continuing education. Attendees who arrive more than 60 minutes late will lose two (2) full hours of continuing education, and so on.
  • Attendees who need to leave before the end of the conference are asked to leave during break to minimize distractions. Attendees who leave early will forfeit the remaining hours of continuing education credit. If you are planning to leave early, please speak to the staff at the registration desk when you arrive. This will allow for the adjusted CE certificate to be prepared for you.
  • At the completion of the conference, attendees will check out of the event to receive their certificate of attendance from a member of the Continuing Education team or Conference Committee. Please contact the Center for Professional Development if you were unable to pick up your certificate and need it to be mailed to you.
  • Conference content is intended for professional development purposes. Unfortunately, childcare cannot be provided at the event.
  • If you require any other special accommodations, please indicate at the time of registration so we can provide such accommodations for you.
What is the cancellation policy for events?

If you are unable to attend the scheduled course as planned, please notify the Student Support Center at 303-871-2291 or Refunds will be issued in the original form of payment if a notification is received 7 business days prior to the course. Refunds will not be issued for late cancellations (fewer than 7 business days' notice).

What is the process of complaint resolution?

In the event that an attendee has a complaint that cannot be resolved by the CPD staff or University of Denver Ombuds Office, the attendee has the right, and is encouraged, to take the following steps:

  • Complaints should be in writing and mailed, faxed, or emailed to the Executive Director of the Center for Professional Development*. (Complaints received by phone will be documented, and the complainant will be requested to submit the complaint in writing.)
  • The letter of complaint must contain the following:
    1. A detailed description of the problem(s);
    2. The approximate date(s) that the problem(s) occurred;
    3. The full name(s) and title(s) or position(s) of the individual(s) involved in the problem(s), including both institutional staff and/or other students who were involved;
    4. Evidence demonstrating that the institution's complaint procedure was followed prior to contacting the Executive Director of the Center for Professional Development;
    5. The name and mailing address of the complainant; if the complainant specifically requests that anonymity be maintained, the CPD executive director will not reveal his or her name to the persons involved.
  • In addition to the letter of complaint, copies of any relevant supporting documentation should be forwarded to the Executive Director (e.g., the registration confirmation, the course outline, and correspondence between the student and the CE program staff).

    Complaints should be mailed to:

    Center of Professional Development  
    University of Denver
    2211 South Josephine Street, Suite 302
    Denver, CO 80208

    *Complainants will receive an acknowledgement of receipt within 15 days*
Can I get credit for my Professional Development activity?

Psychologists, social workers, educators, doctors, nurses, lawyers, allied health professionals, IT professionals, and other such professionals are required to participate in professional development programs for a certain number of hours every year in order to keep their certificates, or licenses to practice, current. Certain professions require that practitioners earn a specific number of hours per year to ensure that they are up-to-date with current practices in their field. Proof of credits earned is necessary in order to renew a license to practice. The number of credits required varies by industry and state. The Center for Professional Development is proud to offer University-accredited contact hours for all of our programs. Many of our programs are designated to also provide American Psychological Association continuing education (CE), Colorado Department of Education Professional Development Hours (PDH) and Continuing Legal Education (CLE) through the Colorado Supreme Court Board of Continuing Legal and Judicial Education and Continuing Medical Education (CME) with our healthcare partners. Many licensing boards require only that your hours be credentialed by a regionally-accredited University like the University of Denver.  

Members of the business and/or finance communities can find a list of specially-tailored professional development opportunities from CPD's business-education partner, Executive Education at the Daniels School of Business.

What is a Continuing Education Unit (CEU)?

The continuing education unit,or CEU, is another kind of designation that quantifies a person’s participation in formal education programs, mostly for training that is related to professional advancement. Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is equal to ten contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction. One CEU is equal to 10 contact hours, or one contact hour is equal to .1 (1/10 or One Tenth) of CEU. The University of Denver is accredited as a doctoral degree-granting institution by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA), which is one of six regional educational accrediting bodies recognized by the federal government. The HLC covers a nineteen state (mostly western and Midwestern) area, and over 1,000 institutions of higher learning hold membership in the Association. DU received its first accreditation in 1914 and has maintained accreditation since that time.

What credits are available?

All of our programming is offered for University-accredited contact hours (1 hour=1 contact hour).  Some of our longer programs are also offered as CEU (non-academic, transcripted credit) and some of our programs are also credentialed for specialty professional audiences.  The Center for Professional Development partners with the Graduate School of Professional Psychology to offer American Psychological-Association approved CE credit. APA credentials continuing education programs for psychologists and other mental health professionals. The Center also partners with the Graduate School of Social Work to offer National Association of Social Workers (NASW) approved Professional Development Hours (PDH).  The Center also partners with the Morgridge College of Education to offer Colorado Department of Education endorsed Professional Development Hours (PDH). 

I am a licensed psychologist, is CE required in Colorado?

House Bill 15-1067 Creates New Requirements for Continuing Professional Development

On April 8, 2015, Governor John Hickenlooper signed House Bill 15-1067 Concerning the Establishment of a Continuing Professional Development Program for Licensed Psychologists. The new law requires licensed psychologists to complete 40 continuing professional development hours to maintain a license. A licensed psychologist can choose the type of continuing professional development from a long list of activities provided in the new law. The effective date of the law is August 5, 2015.
Because licensed psychologists are currently in the process of renewing their licenses, the Board will adopt rules to establish the new continuing professional development program before the 2017 renewal period. Continuing competency starts 9/1/17 and must be met by August 2019. 

Psychologists are allowed to create a continuing professional development program that fulfills their individual training needs.  There are no specific requirements for content areas in which psychologists must obtain hours.  Once DORA updates its system, psychologists will be required to create a continuing professional development learning plan.  This plan can be edited and changed by the psychologist over the course of their licensure cycle. 

Explore the many options the Center for Professional Development offers to meet your licensure requirements. 

What Qualifies as a Continuing Professional Development Hour?

Psychologists are allowed to select from the following list of continuing professional development (CPD) activities to complete 40 CPD hours:

  • Attending professional workshops or seminars
  • Developing and teaching for the first time an academic course in psychology at an accredited institution
  • Satisfactorily completing a graduate course at an accredited institution
  • Developing and presenting for the first time a workshop or seminar
  • Authoring, editing or reviewing a peer reviewed publication or book

How many CPD hours will psychologists earn for each activity?

The number of CPD hours earned is based on the type of activity. 

How will a psychologist’s continuing professional development be monitored in Colorado?

Up to 5% of psychologists may be audited regarding completion of CPD hours after every 2-year licensure cycle.  Psychologists are required to retain documentation of the CPD hours they earn.  Psychologists are not required to get preapproval from the Board or another state entity regarding the selection or completion of CPD hours. 

The following are examples of how a psychologist might obtain his/her 40 CPD hours: 

Academic/Research Psychologist at a University

  • Taught 3 credit class for the first time (30 CPD hours)
  • Authored journal article for publication (20 CPD hours)

Psychologist that teaches adjunct at University and does clinical work

  • Taught 2 credit class for the first time (20 CPD hours)
  • Attended workshop (without CEs) on Grief and Loss – 8 hours (5 CPD hours)Attended 2 day conference on ethics and received CME credit – 16 hours (16 CPD hours)

Private Practice Psychologist

  • Conducted 3 hour workshop on trauma at local conference (9 CPD hours)
  • Attended colloquium by a colleague that did not offer CE credits– 8 hours (5 CPD hours)
  • Attended 2 day conference – 16 hours APA sponsored CEs (16 CPD hours)
  • Attended half day workshop with CME credits at Children’s Hospital (4 CPD hours)Attended full day PESI workshop with CE credit (8 CPD hours)

General Psychologist

  • Took 3 credit course in supervision at accredited university (30 CPD hours)
  • Attended full day workshop that had CE credits but forgot to get them (5 CPD hours)
  • Attended full day conference on suicide prevention that had APA CE credits (8 CPD hours) 


What is CLE?

Continuing legal education (CLE), also known as MCLE (mandatory or minimum continuing legal education), is professional education of lawyers that takes place after their initial admission to the bar. In many states, CLE participation is required of attorneys to maintain their license to practice law. The Center for Professional Development offers CLE with the approval of the Colorado Supreme Court Board of Continuing Legal and Judicial Education. All programs approved for CLE will reflect that designation.

Can I use these credits for my license if I am not a teacher or mental health provider or attorney?

All attendees should consult with their state licensing boards to confirm the requirements to maintain their certification. Attendees can earn University-accredited CEU for all Center for Professional Development activities and everyone who successfully completes the material is provided with a written record of those CEU. Many people find that they can count CEU or CE for their specific board’s requirements. Visit the Department of Regulatory Affairs (DORA) webpage to learn about your licensure requirements! 

Accommodations and other services

CPD is committed to giving people with disabilities, non-English language speakers and others the same opportunity to access our programs and to allowing them to benefit from the same level of service, in the same place and in a similar way as other participants. Please contact our office if you have questions or require accommodations of any kind. 

CPD is also committed to serving professionals with young families and nursing parents.  For more information about private lactation rooms or childcare services, click here

Don't see your question or answer here? Please contact CPD directly.