Skip navigation
Risk Management Banner

Risk Management

Certificate of Insurance

Requesting the University's Certificates of Insurance for Third Parties/Vendors

What is a Certificate of Insurance?

A Certificate of Insurance is a document used to verify an entity is insured. Outside parties often request DU to confirm various types and levels of insurance in connection with business agreements. Arthur J Gallagher & Co. (AJG) issues DU's certificates, and Enterprise Risk Management provides outside parties with the certificate as proof of insurance. Generally, certificates are produced within 24-48 hours; if you request a certificate and do not receive it within that time frame, please contact Enterprise Risk Management.

Who is the Certificate Holder?

The Certificate Holder is the individual or organization requesting proof of a certain type of insurance. The name of the individual or organization, and their address, will be listed on the certificate. The certificates will be sent directly to the Certificate Holder with a copy to the requestor, unless alternative instructions are provided.

Important Information on Certificates

A certificate is only good for the insurance policy inception and expiration dates shown on the certificate.

If it is requested by the Certificate Holder that participant names, or a certain activity or event need to be included on the certificate, this is possible. Please provide this information with your request.

Requesting a Certificate of Insurance

All requests for Certificates of Insurance must flow through Enterprise Risk Management. The online certificate request form should be completed for all insurance requests. Certificates will only be issued if all required information is provided. If a renewal certificate is required by a Certificate Holder, then Enterprise Risk Management will need to request a new certificate as a renewal may not automatically be sent.

The certificates will be sent directly to the organization or individual requesting the certificate with an electronic copy sent to the DU requestor from Enterprise Risk Management, unless alternative instructions are provided.

Requesting Certificates of Insurance from Third Parties/Vendors

Why require insurance from an outside party, such as a contractor, vendor, or other party?

Insurance is a mechanism to protect the interests of the University of Denver. Specifically, insurance provides a mechanism for DU to recover for injury or damage that an outside party is legally obligated to pay. Such obligations could occur if an outside party injures an employee or student, damages DU property, or damages personal property of an employee or student.

When does an outside party need insurance?

When the outside party:

  • Provides a service for DU
  • Performs work on DU property
  • Performs work on behalf of the University
  • Uses DU property

When submitting a contract to University Counsel for review, make sure you have a copy of the certificate of insurance along with your contract.

How does an outside party provide evidence of insurance?

Evidence of insurance is obtained through a Certificate of Insurance.

What is a Certificate of Insurance?

It is a document provided by an insurance agent or broker that outlines the types of and limits of insurance carried by the contractor, vendor, or other party. In addition to the types and limits of insurance, the Certificate lists the name of the agent or broker, the insurer and the effective dates of the policy.

What does "Additional Insured" mean?

When the University of Denver is listed as an additional insured, it means that our interests are protected under the insurance policies purchased by the outside party in regard to the work performed, service provided, product provided, etc. by the outside party.  Essentially, it allows us to use the insurance provided by the outside party. The University of Denver should always be listed as an additional insured on all general, umbrella, or excess liability policies.

What types/limits of insurance should be requested?

Please see the Request of Insurance from a 3rd Party to determine what insurance is required from your vendor.  Then send the completed request to your vendor so they can issue the certificate according to the University’s guidelines.  If you have questions contact the Risk and Insurance Analyst at 303-871-3810.