Skip navigation
Office of Student Employment

Community Service Work-Study Employer Information

Are you a community service organization looking to hire a University of Denver student? Become a community service work-study employer!

DU students with work-study can work part-time for nonprofits and government agencies that strive to improve the quality of life for residents, especially low-income individuals, within 30 miles of the University of Denver. These partners enable students to engage in meaningful service that is designed to meet community needs. Community service work-study partners must agree to match 30 percent of student wages.

To Become a Community Service Work-Study Employer

  1. Determine eligibility.
    Does your organization seek to improve the quality of life of community residents? Is it a nonprofit or government agency? If yes, see next step.
  2. Enter verification process.
    Contact us to begin the verification process. We will need a copy of your agency's 501(c)(3) status and it's bylaws or regulations.
  3. Sign a contract.
    Off-campus employers must sign a contract with us that outlines your federal share of student wages, typically 30 percent. Ensure that we have the original copy of the contract and wait to receive approval to begin the hiring process.
  4. Enter the hiring process.
    Sign up for an account to post a position on our job board (choose "On Campus" from the drop-down menu). Then, post your position and collect applications. Once you have made an offer to the student of your choice, contact us to complete the rest of the hiring paperwork.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why would I want to be a part of the Community Service program?
A: The DU work-study program allows students to earn funds to finance their education through part-time employment. Partnerships between the University of Denver and community-service agencies are mutually beneficial to students and agencies, as students receive valuable experience and you share the responsibility of compensation with the federal government and/or DU. Generally, an organization that employs a student with work-study is expected to cover only 30 percent of the student's wages.

Q: How does the University define community service?
A: DU defines community service as actions designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income residents. Fields that typically meet this definition are: health care; child care; literacy training; welfare; social services; transportation; housing and neighborhood improvement; public safety; crime prevention and control; recreation; rural development; urban and rural revitalization; conservation; reforestation; and community improvement.

Q: Can on-campus jobs meet the definition of community service?
A: Yes. If the services provided are open and accessible to the community, publicized to the community, and members of the community use the service, they may be considered community service.

Q: Can off-campus jobs meet the definition of community service?
A: Yes. If the services provided are open and accessible to the community, publicized to the community, and members of the community use the service, they may be considered community service. Per University policy, Student Employment only enters into community service agreements with nonprofit organizations and government agencies working in the public interest within 30 miles of DU.

Q: How does the University define a nonprofit organization?
A: None of the organization's net earnings should benefit any private shareholder or individual. An organization must be a government agency or incorporated as a nonprofit under federal or state law to enter into an agreement with the University of Denver.

Q: Are any organizations deemed ineligible for this program?
A: Yes. In addition to for-profits, organizations that participate in political activity, lobby on a federal, state or local level, or primarily serve the interest of an elected official are ineligible for participation in this program. Also, students cannot hold positions that involve constructing, operating or maintaining any part of a building used for religious worship or sectarian instructions.

Q: How can I recruit students?
A: Once you have entered into a formal agreement with the Office of Student Employment and have received your approval to hire a student, you should apply for an online account. You can then post your position online through our website.

Q: How do students receive paychecks?
A: Students in this program are considered DU employees. Your agency must submit student timesheets bi-weekly to Student Employment, which distributes paychecks to students. The University of Denver will bill your agency for your share of your student employee's wages, which is typically set at 30 percent.

Q: Once I post my job online, how do I hire a student?
A: You control the screening, interviewing and hiring process for employees. Once you've interviewed and ranked candidates and made a job offer, the student will need to complete the necessary hiring paperwork before working. Students should not begin working until notification from us has been received authorizing their eligibility. If a student begins working prior to this notification, the employer is responsible for 100% of any wages earned until the paperwork has been approved and processed.