Skip navigation

Academic Resources

Undergraduate Academic Advising

Faculty Advising Student Group

Advising Basics & Faculty and Staff Green Folder

Advising Basics

Academic Advising support exists through multiple avenues at the University of Denver. Your primary support is your faculty mentor, however staff academic advisors in our office can also support you academically and help you move smoothly from orientation to graduation.

Remember, it is important to take an active role in the advising process and take personal accountability for your academic experience.

Advising Structure

At the University of Denver, undergraduate students have an academic advising network that includes support from their faculty mentor, staff academic advisor, and major faculty advisor. Incoming students are assigned both a faculty mentor and staff academic advisor. First Year Seminar instructors serve as faculty mentors and primary support for first-year students in their academic transition into the University. Staff Academic Advisors work with students on degree planning outside of their academic field and understanding university policies. Staff Academic Advisors also support student development through strength –based skill-building including understanding who they are as learners, goal setting, time management and organizational skills. In their second year through graduation, students meet with their assigned major faculty advisor. Major faculty advisors assist students in understanding the curriculum and research opportunities in their selected fields.

Please note: The Josef Korbel School of International Studies and the Daniels College of Business have a Professional Academic Advising model and partner with faculty to mentor students with research and career advising and monitoring students' academic performance in their courses.

Undeclared Sophomores

  • You must declare a major prior to achieving 75 credit hours.
  • If you are pre-business visit the Daniels College of Business Office of Undergraduate Programs in Margery Reed Hall or contact them at 303-871-6910
  • If you plan to declare any other major, visit our office in Driscoll south below the bookstore or contact us at 303-871-2455/

Transfer and Continuing Students

  • Once you have declared a major and/or minor, you should meet with your major advisor . Your faculty major advisor will advise you in your specific major or minor degree requirements.
Finding a Major Advisor

To be assigned a major advisor, contact the advising contact in the relevant department found on this departmental advising contact list.

Registration Process

For all CONTINUING students:

  1. Before meeting with your faculty major advisor every quarter you should look up classes that you might be interested in taking during the next quarter and plan some possible schedules.
  2. You will then meet with your assigned faculty major advisor during the advising period (typically in the three weeks prior to registration – dates will vary by term).
  3. When you meet with your faculty major advisor they will look over your Degree Audit, approve your schedule, and delete your advising PIN.
  4. You will be assigned a registration