Skip navigation

Academic Resources

Undergraduate Academic Advising


Academic Advising

Frequently Asked Questions

IMPORTANT: The Registrar's Office addresses many issues that you might think would fall under Academic Advising. These areas include:

  • registration and related issues, including waitlists, registration PINs and time tickets, and dropping or adding a course
  • transfer credits
  • grades and grading, including information on what a "W"s and Incompletes
  • transcripts
  • credits needed for sophomore, junior, etc. status
  • changing or declaring a major/minor
  • Colorado residency
  • withdrawing from courses
  • questions about material on your Degree Audit
  • applying for graduation

Please see the Registrar's Office FAQ page for more information about their services.

How do I know who my advisor is?

Please see the explanation on our Advising Basics page.

How do I know if I am in Good Academic Standing?

If your GPA is above a 2.2 you are in good standing with the university, if your GPA is between a 2.2 and a 2.0 you are on academic warning while remaining in good standing with the university, and if your GPA is below a 2.0 you are on academic probation, no longer in good standing and at risk of being suspended or dismissed from the university.

If you are having any sort of academic difficulty, regardless of your standing, it is important to make an appointment with your advisor for assistance.

I received an email about Academic Probation. What does that mean?

Academic Probation means your cumulative GPA has dropped below a 2.0. We are concerned about you and your progression to graduation. It is very important to meet with an advisor, who will be able to help you make a plan and share resources to get you back on track academically. Please make an appointment with the advisor identified in your letter.

I received a Faculty Feedback email about my grades. What does that mean?

Academic Advising asks faculty to contact us about students who are getting a C- or less after midterms of every quarter. If you received one of these emails, it means we are concerned about you. Please schedule an appointment with a staff academic advisor in our office to learn more about available resources and support.

How many electives do I need?

There is no required minimum or maximum number of electives for a DU degree, but all students will likely take some electives throughout their time at DU. Talk to your advisor to determine how many credits you will have remaining after fulfilling your major, minor, and common curriculum requirements.

How do I view my holds?

Prior to registering, log in to PioneerWeb, select the MyWeb tab, click "Student & Financial Aid", select "Student Records" and click "View Holds." If you have holds on your account that will prevent you from registering, contact the appropriate office who attached the hold to determine what you need to do to have it removed.

I've been attending class and I'm not sure my financial hold will be lifted. What do I do?

You should not be attending class unless you are properly registered.

I want to take a quarter (or more) off from school. What do I do?

Students wishing to take a personal leave of absence should submit a Withdraw- Intent to Return through Pioneer Web.

How can I print/view my Degree Audit?

Please see the Your Academic Plan page for detailed information.

What are the common curriculum requirements?

Please see the Degree Requirements page for detailed information.