Skip navigation

Academic Resources

Academic Advising

Policies and Forms

Academic Advising Partnership & Advising Policies

The DU Academic Advising Partnership

At the University of Denver, undergraduate students have an academic advising network that includes support from their faculty mentor, staff academic advisor, and major faculty advisor.  Incoming students are assigned both a faculty mentor and staff academic advisor. First Year Seminar instructors serve as faculty mentors and primary support for first-year students in their academic transition into the University. Staff Academic Advisors work with students on degree planning outside of their academic field and understanding university policies.  Staff Academic Advisors also support student development through strength –based skill-building including understanding who they are as learners, goal setting, time management and organizational skills.  In their second year through graduation, students meet with their assigned major faculty advisor.  Major faculty advisors assist students in understanding the curriculum and research opportunities in their selected fields.

Advisor & Student Responsibilities

Our goal through the advisor and advisee relationship is to mentor students through the curriculum, ensure they are connected to campus resources to meet their goals, work with them as whole individuals and empower them to take responsibility for and ownership of their educational experience. Below are some helpful hints for both the advisor and the advisee to build the most effective advising partnership.


  • Hold sufficient advising sessions and have a clear communication plan to inform students. These advising sessions might be during office hours, by appointment or on-line.
  • Monitor your students’ academic progress.
  • Connect students to resources for their personal development, support, involvement and wellness.
  • Be mindful of what students indicate they need in advising and strive to provide it; typically, this is accurate information, advisor accessibility, and a caring attitude.

Student: The ultimate responsibility for meeting all requirements is the student’s responsibility.

  • Seek advising assistance in a timely manner – make an appointment with your advisor and register directly at the time you were assigned for maximum scheduling availability.
  • Actively cultivate a relationship with advisor (s); touch base when needed.
  • Be prepared for scheduled advising meeting
Faculty Feedback

Faculty members are asked to submit grades of a C- or lower for students in their courses. By submitting the grades, faculty members make it possible for staff academic advisors and other campus partners to proactively reach out to students to ensure they are connected to the appropriate resources. The grades can be submitted the 3rd - 6th week of the quarter.

Academic Standing
  • Good Standing: Cumulative GPA 2.0 and above
  • Academic Warning: Cumulative GPA 2.0 – 2.19. Student remains in good standing
  • Precipitous Decline: Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher, but last quarter GPA was a 1.5 or lower
  • Academic Probation: Cumulative GPA below 2.0
Credit Overloads
  • Students registering for 20-21 credit hours in one quarter need to submit a credit overload form. A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is required for approval. Students should be aware that any credits above 18 result in additional tuition charges. Contact the Bursar's Office for information about tuition and fees.  Students cannot overload in their first quarter at DU.
  • Students who are requesting an overload of more than 21 hours must submit a petition to the Academic Exceptions Committee.
Course Substitution/Waiver

Students wanting to substitute or waive a course must fill out the course substitution or waiver form with approval from the dean, faculty member, or advisor. Forms should be returned to the Registrar's Office on the garden level of University Hall.

Graduate Level Courses as an Undergraduate

Students in good academic standing can seek permission to take a graduate level course (4000-4999) as an undergraduate. Signatures from the instructor, chairperson, Academic Advising office, and dean's office must be obtained on the request for graduate course as part of the undergraduate degree form before it is returned to the Registrar's Office on the garden level in University Hall.

Study Abroad Course Approval

Information about student abroad course approval can be found on the Study Abroad website. Students should obtain course approval for major, minor, and common curriculum courses from the appropriate academic department.

Academic Exceptions

Students petitioning for an exception to current academic policy must meet with an academic advisor in the Center for Academic and Career Development in Driscoll south underneath the bookstore prior to submitting a petition. Students should also review the Academic Exceptions Information Sheet for information about completing petitions.

To Petition, students must: 

1. Meet with a Professional Academic Advisor

  • Call 303-871-2455 to schedule an appointment.
  • Business majors call 303-871-6910
  • International Studies majors call 303-871-2544

2. Complete a petition.

  • Go to PioneerWeb -- Student & Financial Aid -- Student Records -- Request Academic Exception

3. Wait for committee review.

  • The Academic Exceptions Committee meets once a month except for July to review petitions and documentation. Students will receive an e-mail notification once the review is complete. Students can also check the status of your petition by going to MyWeb --Student & Financial Aid -- Student Records -- View Academic Exceptions

Additional Information:

  • Once an Exceptions petition has been reviewed, students can re-submit the same request only if there is new documentation that the committee did not have access to during the initial review of the petition. The decision of the Academic Exceptions Committee is final; there is no further avenue for appeal. 

Students wishing to withdraw from all classes should first review the withdrawal information sheet and check list. During weeks 1-5 students can withdraw by going to PioneerWeb – myWeb – Student & Financial Aid – Registration – Withdraw from DU. During weeks 6-8 students must fill out a withdrawal form and return it to the Registrar's Office on the garden level of University Hall. Students can't withdraw in weeks 9 and 10 but can go through the Academic Exceptions process to late drop all classes.

Leave of Absence

Students withdrawing from the university that plan to return to their studies at the University of Denver need to meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising office in addition to following the withdrawal procedures outlined above. Students should review the leave of absence policy prior to this meeting. At the meeting, students will complete a leave of absence application in collaboration with an advisor.


Students who have taken a leave, have withdrawn from DU, who have left DU without formally withdrawing or who have been academically suspended, need to submit a re-entry form prior to resuming their studies.

Students returning from a conduct suspension must also complete a re-entry from conduct suspension form

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Access FERPA information and frequently asked questions at

  • Student educational records are considered confidential and may not be released without the written consent of the student.
  • As a faculty or staff educator, you have a responsibility to protect educational records in your possession.
  • If you are ever in doubt, do not release any information until you contact the Office of the Registrar at 303-871-2284.
Title IX

More information regarding Title IX at the University of Denver can be found at

Title IX is a law that came into play more than 40 years ago that is applicable to all higher education institutions receiving federal financial assistance. It prohibits discrimination based on sex (gender). Always remember as a faculty or staff educator of the University community, you have a duty to report a complaint. Information reported to you is not confidential. While you can promise to keep a matter private, you cannot promise confidentiality to an individual. Always report possible Title IX violations immediately to the Title IX Coordinator at 303-871-7436.

Advising Toolkit - PioneerWeb-Faculty Tab

Add Student Comments:

  • Purpose:To accurately and consistently document policy, procedures, practice, and our interactions. 
    • To ensure a shared understanding of communication between us, the parents/families, and the student. 
    • To support our students through streamlined communication when working with a variety of constituents across campus.
    • To support our colleagues in supporting our students.
  • Helpful Guidance with Reminders
    • All comments are Student Records and students have access to these records at any time.
    • It is imperative that FERPA policy is followed.
    • Comments should consist of factual, objective, concrete, and complete information.
Americans with Disabilities Act(ADA)

For more information, visit

Academic Accomodations for Students with Disabilities Policy outlines requirements, guidelines, and procedures for providing approved accommodations to students, including temporary injury or illness.

Policy Statement:

  1. The University of Denver is committed to providing students with disabilities equal access and participation in academic areas and other programs sponsored by the University as mandated by federal law. The process for granting qualified students with documented disabilities accommodations to obtain equal access is managed by DSP. Students requesting disability accommodations engage in a collaborative process with DSP staff that includes disclosing the disability(ies) and providing appropriate documentation.

  2. Faculty should only implement accommodations approved by the DSP staff. The DSP staff will provide students with a Faculty Letter that describes approved classroom accommodations. Students are responsible for providing this letter to faculty prior to needing the accommodation.

  3. Disability and accommodation information should be kept private, and only shared with other University personnel who have a legitimate educational need to know to be in compliance with relevant laws.

Per the policy, when a student requests a disability-related accommodation, please ask the student for a DSP Faculty Letter of Approved Accommodations. If the student discloses a disability but does not already have approved accommodations through DSP, please refer the student to DSP for review, evaluation, and approval for official academic accommodations. 

Grade Appeal Process

Access the Grade Appeal processes at

Grade appeals must be based on problems of process and not on differences in judgment or opinion concerning academic performance. The burde of proof rests on the student to demonstrated that one or more of the following has occurred:

  • The grading decision was made on some basis other than academic performance and other than as a penalty for academic misconduct. 
  • The grading decision was based upon standards unreasonably different from those which were applied to other students in the same course and selection.
  • The grading decision was based on an unreasonable departure from previously articulated standards. 

The formal procedure must be started within 45 calendar days after the contested decision or grade was officially recorded. 

Instructions for Changing Grades

Access the Pre-Med Contact List at

Grades submitted by instructors at the end of the term are final and are not subject to change by reason of revision of judgment on the part of the instructor. Grades cannot be changed on the basis of second trial, such as a new examination or additional work undertaken or completed after the original grade has been submitted.

In accordance with University policy:

  • Grade changes must be approved by the department chair and dean. 
  • Expired Incompletes must be approved by the dean. 
  • Grade assignment for incomplete grades less than one year old do not need approval. 

Access information regarding Incompletes at

An Incomplete "I" is a temporary grade which may be given at the instructor's discretion to a student when illness, necessary absence, or other reasons beyond the control of the student prevent completion of course requirements by the end of the academic term.

Incomplete grades may ONLY be given in the following circumstances:

  1. The student's work to date is passing;
  2. Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 60% of the term;
  3. An illness or other extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents completion of required work by the due date;
  4. Required work may reasonably be completed in an agreed-upon time frame;
  5. The Incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade;
  6. The Incomplete is not based solely on a student's failure to complete work or as a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grades report time;
  7. The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade before the end of the academic term;
  8. The instructor and student complete the Application for incomplete Grade form before the end of the academic term. 
Never Attend

Assign a Never Attended (NA) grade to students who registered for your class (an appear on rosters) but never attended class. Although the grade of NA is counted as an F, it is a means of marking the course so that any possible registration problems can be reconciled for the student.

Graduation Planning

Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science (For other degrees, please see the bulletin)

    • Majors and Minors:
      • BA - one major, one minor (or double major, optional minor)
      • BS - one major, two minors (or double major, one minor) - one minor must be in the natural sciences. 
      • Environmental Science majors are not required to complete any minors.
      • Minimum credit requirements to graduate: 183
      • Overall grade point average: 2.0 or better to graduate
      • Major and minor grades: Must be C- or better
      • Major grade point average: 2.0 or better to graduate
      • Minor grade point average: 2.0 or better to graduate
      • Maximum DU credits in any one discipline:


      • BA - 60 DU credit hours (except Music majors)
      • BS - no policy
      • Transfer AP/IB credits do not count towards 60 hours
      • Credits at DU: 50% of major/minor credits must be completed at DU
      • All Common Curriculum Requirements are met
      • Upper division credits: At least 75 credit hours must be completed at the 2000 or 3000 level
      • Apply for graduation through PioneerWeb at least three quarters before intended quarter of graduation.
      • Last 45 credits: Must be completed "in residency" at DU
      • Check for repeated courses: Students who earn below a C- for required Major and Minor courses will need to retake the course. Both grades will show up on the transcript and average into Major or Minor and Cumulative G.P.A. and the credit hours will only count once overall. Please not: if a student earns a D+, D, or D-, the student will need to get signed into the coursed through an add slip and will not be able to register via PioneerWeb.
      • Check for incompletes
      • Thesis is required if pursuing Magna Cum Laude or Summa Cum Laude.  


  • Double Major: Student is earning a major under the same degree (e.g. BA in Anthropology and English). 
  • Secondary Major: The "secondary major" offers the option of studying two subjects from two different degree programs (i.e., BA and BS) while earning a baccalaureate degree in the first major without the requirement of earning a secondary baccalaureate degree in the secondary major. Currently, all of the secondary majors are in AHSS. See for more information.
  • Concurrent Degree: Students are earning two degrees at the same time. For example, a BSBA in Finance and a BS in Chemistry. The minimum requirement is 228 hours (45 hours above the 183 and students have to meet the Common Curriculum requirements of both degrees.)
Additional Reminders

Transfer & Study Abroad Approvals

  • Undergraduate students can look up transfer credit equivalencies including credit earned through AP & IB exams in the Transfer & International Education Course Reporting System

Withdrawing from DU

  • Students wishing to withdraw from all classes should meet with a professional advisor to learn about the process. 

Experiential Learning

  • Under some circumstances, students may earn academic credit for such experiences. This form must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the beginning of the experience.

Apply to Graduate

  • My Web - Student Tab - Student Records - Apply to Graduate
Common Curriculum

Please see

  • FSEM (4 Credits)
  • WRIT 1122 and 1133 (8 Credits)
  • Foreign Language (4 -1 2 credits)
    • Students have to be proficient in a fully year of language at a college level and take at least one college-level course
  • AI-Natural (4 credits)
  • AI-Society (8 credits from 2 different disciplines)
    • Students must search attribute type of AI-Society. Only courses with this attribute type will meet this requirement. 
  • SI-Society (8 credits from 2 different disciplines)
    • Students must search attribute type of SI-Society. Only courses of this attribute type will meet this requirement.
  • SI-Natural (12 credits in the same sequence)
    • Students must search attribute type of SI-Natural. Only courses with this attribute type will meet this requirement.
  • ASEM (4 credits)
    • All Common Curriculum requirements must be met before students can take their final requirement of an Advanced Seminar.