Skip navigation

Student Life

Disability Services Program

Instructor teaching outside. Students listen.

Faculty and Staff

Faculty Resources

Office of Teaching and Learning

The Office of Teaching and Learning provides professional development opportunities to improve teaching practices for new and experienced faculty members, develops and supports state-of-the-art technology and web-based applications that enhance student learning, and collaborates with faculty on innovative teaching projects. We encourage you to collaborate with OTL to enhance design for students of all learning styles.

Universal Design for Learning

We encourage faculty to consider Universal Design for Learning principles when developing their curriculum. These principles support the diverse learning needs of all students through:

  1. Presenting information and content in different ways
  2. Differentiating the ways that students can express what they know
  3. Stimulating interest and motivation for learning

More details on UDL are available from CAST and OTL.

Blue Folder - Disability Accommodations Guide

The Blue Folder is a quick resource guide to help understand the responsibilities of faculty and staff members related to disability accommodations. If you would like a hard copy of the Blue Folder, please contact our office.

Frequently Asked Questions

What can I discuss with a student who has a disability?

You may discuss the student's learning style and learning needs, and how you can work together to meet those needs. Supporting a student does not necessarily require knowing what the disability is. If a student voluntarily discloses his or her disability, you are welcome to ask more questions. However, it is not appropriate to ask, "what is your disability?"

How are accommodations approved?

Students provide medical or psychoeducational documentation to DSP and complete an intake packet requesting specific accommodations, which DSP staff reviews in order to determine what is reasonable.

What if I think an accommodation is inappropriate?

DSP staff take care to ensure that accommodations do not fundamentally alter the essential program or course requirements. Students with disabilities must meet the same learning outcomes as those without disabilities. We may collaborate with faculty to ensure these criteria are met. If you have concerns, please contact us.

What should I do if I think a student needs support from DSP, but has not asked me for accommodations?

As you would for any struggling student, ask the student if there are any ways the student could be more supported. It may happen that the student discloses a disability or chronic medical condition in this discussion, in which case you can direct the student to our office for accommodations. If not, feel free to provide the student with a variety of options on our campus, including DSP and LEP, the Writing, Math, Science, and Engineering Centers in the Anderson Academic Commons, Academic Advising, Health and Counseling Center, or any other resources you see fit.  You may also consider submitting a Pioneers CARE report.

Does DSP provide accommodations for temporary injuries or illnesses?

DSP can provide accommodations for temporary injuries or illnesses, including, but not limited to, broken bones, on-going illness, and concussions. Students with short-term illnesses, such as cold or flu, are not covered by the ADA, and should work directly with instructors to arrange informal modifications per the Academic Accommodations Policy.

What is the Learning Effectiveness Program (LEP), and how is it related to DSP?

The LEP is a fee-for-service program that supports students with disabilities via academic counseling, tutoring, and time management support. DSP only provides accommodations. The programs are separate, however both are under Dean of Students office and Student Affairs. Learn more about the differences between DSP and LEP.

What about faculty and staff who need accommodations?

DU is committed to creating an inclusive, welcoming and accessible community for all our members. Employees can learn more about requesting accommodations associated with a disability, medical or mental health condition by visiting the University of Denver Accessibility webpages.