Skip navigation

Student Life

Disability Services Program

2 students and 1 staff smiling in office meeting.


Transition to College

The laws governing the rights and responsibilities of the school and student are different in postsecondary education than in high school. Students are responsible for disclosing a disability, requesting accommodations, and obtaining and providing documentation to the University. Throughout the process both prior to and after being approved for reasonable accommodations students are responsible for interactively engaging with the DSP office. This includes letting  your DSP Accommodations Specialist know as soon as you become aware that your accommodations are not effective or the results are not as expected. The DSP will work with you to resolve the issue(s).

A significant contributor to the successful transition from high school to postsecondary education for students with disabilities can be an accurate knowledge about their civil rights, responsibilities and the differences between the accommodations process in a public (K-12) setting and in a college or university setting. We've developed the following document to assist you in understanding some of the basic differences between these 2 settings.

Differences Between High School & University Disability Services

The above document was adapted from the Transition Guide linked below which was developed by the US Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
Transition of Students With Disabilities To Postsecondary Education

In addition, The Department of Education has also created the following transition guide to assist students in making the transition to college and university life.
Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education