Skip navigation

Campus Life & Inclusive Excellence

Student Life: Get Involved!

Life Outside the Classroom

Need help with "Life Outside the Classroom?" The University of Denver offers many resources to help students succeed.

Health and Safety

What health care services are offered at the DU Health and Counseling Center (HCC)?

The HCC provides comprehensive primary health care and mental health care to DU students. The HCC staff includes board certified physicians , physician's assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, psychologists, psychiatrists, licensed social workers, and other professional staff.

Medical services include general health care, women's health care, and nonsurgical sports medicine, as well as some specialty care (dermatology, gynecology, and nutrition), diagnostic testing, and travel health.

Counseling services include short-term individual, couples, and group counseling. The Counseling unit also offers 24/7 crisis services, psychological testing, and substance abuse prevention and treatment.

How do I make an appointment at the HCC? 

Appointments can be scheduled online at or by calling

Hours: Mon, Wed, Thurs, and Fri 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; Tuesday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.

Location: Ritchie Center, 3rd Floor, north side (on Buchtel Boulevard facing I-25).

Who is eligible to receive services at the HCC and how much does it cost? 

All students who are enrolled for academic credit (full- or part-time, undergraduate, graduate) are eligible to use the HCC. The cost of services is dependent on individual insurance plans and payment of the Health and Counseling Fee (required for all undergraduate students). Most HCC services are free for individuals who have paid the Health and Counseling Fee and opted to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan. For additional information about services and costs, call 303-871-2205

What do I do if I experience an urgent medical situation or mental health concern when the HCC is closed?

For after-hours mental health concerns, please contact Campus Safety at 303-871-3000 and ask to speak to the “counselor on call.” This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all DU students.

For illnesses or injuries when the HCC is closed, you can reach the on-call provider by dialing 303-871-2205 and following the instructions. The provider can give you advice about your health problem and/or arrange for you to be seen if your problem requires immediate evaluation.

For true life-threatening medical emergencies, call 911 or Campus Safety at

Who can I call if I have experienced a sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking?

The Center for Advocacy, Prevention and Empowerment (CAPE) Helpline is a 24/7 hotline that exists to assist members of the DU community who have experienced gender-based violence. This includes sexual assault, relationship violence, or stalking/harassment. Through the Helpline, trained advocates assist survivors, and any family or friends, to cope with the physical, psychological, judicial, and/or legal aftermath resulting from gender-based violence.

To contact an advocate, call 303-871-3456. All advocacy services are free and confidential.

Note: Calling for an advocate does not obligate reporting anything to the police or the university, except when there is a significant public safety concern

How can Campus Safety help me stay safe on and around campus? 
  • Be aware. If you think you are being followed, or notice someone who is suspicious, go to a place of calculated security and call Campus Safety at 303-871-3000.
  • Use the Buddy System whenever possible. If you find yourself needing to travel alone on campus after dark, call Campus Safety for a walking escort. Escorts are available to students, staff, and faculty by calling 303-871-2334.
  • Consider taking an Introduction to Self-Defense class. This free, 90-minute course goes over basic self-defense and risk-avoidance techniques.

For more information about Campus Safety programs and services, including additional crime prevention tips, visit 

How do I report a crime on campus?

You can report a crime or Honor Code violation to Campus Safety at any time by calling 303-871-2334. An officer will be sent to your location to take your report.

If you would like to anonymously provide Campus Safety with information about a crime or suspected crime, you may call the anonymous tip line at 303-871-3130.

Diversity, Identity and Inclusive Excellence

How can I get involved with programs and services that advance diversity and inclusive excellence at the University of Denver?

The Center for Multicultural Excellence (CME) invites DU students to engage in activities and programming that harness the Pioneer spirit of valuing and embracing inclusion to the core. In addition to its many programs and services, CME offers a variety of opportunities to meet others and to gain valuable skills and experiences for living, learning, and working in our diverse society.

Contact CME at 303-871-2942. 

How can I connect with a specific identity-based organization on campus?

CME can assist you in connecting with student organizations that are focused on diversity, inclusion, and/or social justice. 

Spirit, Mind & Body Connection

Are pastoral services offered on campus?

The University Chaplain is available to all members of the DU community on issues ranging from interfaith dialogue to spiritual care and counseling. Members of the Religious and Spiritual Life office are available for pastoral care on a drop-in or by-appointment basis. Issues vary widely, from relationship issues to religious/spiritual questions, to grief issues to vocational choice. To make an appointment, call or text 303-501-6659 or email

What should I do if I have to miss class for observance of a religious holy day?

University policy grants students excused absences from class or other organized activities for observances of religious holy days, unless the accommodations would create an undue hardship. Once a student has registered for a class, the student is epected to examine the course syllabus for potential conflicts with holy days and to notify the instructor by the end of the first week of classes of any conflicts that may require an absence. The student is also expected to remind the faculty member in advance of the missed class and to make arrangements in advance (with the faculty member) to make up any missed work or in-class material within a reasonable time.

Faculty are asked to be responsive to requests when students contact them IN ADVANCE to request such an excused absence. If a student and course instructor cannot agree on an accommodation, the student may bring the matter to the Department Chair for a decision.

For more information, visit

I'm a member of a particular religious group. Is there a student group for me?

Numerous religious groups on campus represent the religious diversity of the student body. If there isn't a group listed there that meets your requirements, contact the Chaplain's Office to be put in touch with other like-minded folks.

I'm a member of a particular religious group. Where can I find information about local worship sites?

The Religious and Spiritual Life office has a comprehensive list of local worship sites close to DU (or most accessible by public transportation.) 


What is the two-year live-on requirement?

The two-year live-on requirement is a commitment between the undergraduate students and the University of Denver to enhance the students' experience and success. This commitment requires students to live on campus and have a meal plan for two years. Students who live on-campus are more likely to stay enrolled, graduate on time, and feel connected to the campus community.

For more information related to the live-on requirement, as well as other policies and procedures for students living on campus, visit the Housing & Residential Education website.  

How can Resident Assistants (RAs) and other residence hall staff members help me in my adjustment to campus?

In the residence halls, you are surrounded by staff members who can help you with everything from learning your way around campus to mediating roommate concerns.

Resident Assistants (RAs) help build community on your floor and maintain a positive environment for residents. RAs plan social and educational events throughout the year and can help you with maintenance requests, housing information, or problems that arise during the year.

Desk Assistants (DAs) work at the front desks and provide information, check out supplies, and answer questions. The desks are open 24 hours/day when classes are in session.

Each residence hall also has a full-time, professional live-in Resident Director and Graduate Resident Director. They manage and supervise the day-to-day operations of their specific residence halls, working closely with the student staff in programming, peer counseling, conduct, administration, and community development.

Support in Academic, Social, and Crisis Situations

Who can I connect with if I am having a difficult time but am not sure who can help/what resources I need?

The Office of Student Outreach and Support is available to help students who are feeling distressed and unsure of where to get help. They can help you make informed decisions by educating you about the University's policies and procedures, offer alternative resolutions in consultation with other University offices, and/or help you navigate DU to access the resources you might need.

The Office of Student Outreach and Support can be reached at 303-871-4724 or

How can I help a friend who is experiencing academic, social, or a crisis situation?

If there is an immediate risk to life, always call 911 and Campus Safety at 303-871-3000.

In general, you should tell someone whenever you feel concerned for their well-being. Here are some tips for what to say and how to say it:

  • Ask permission to talk about the issue – this conveys respect and will often decrease defensiveness
  • Openly acknowledge that you are aware that they are having a difficult time, concerned for their well-being, and anxious to help
  • Briefly describe your observations of their situation and express your concerns directly and honestly.
  • Listen carefully without interrupting
  • Reflect back what you are hearing without judgment or evaluation
  • Ask about their current support systems, and validate any work, thought, or effort that they have already put in to examining or addressing the problem.
  • Encourage them to seek help – remind them that the Office of Student Outreach and Support is available to help students who are unsure of where to get help.

If you remain concerned, consider submitting a Pioneers CARE report  

Once the form is received, a member of the campus' CARE Team will review the information and take appropriate action to assist your friend. In addition, you can always share concerns with your RA or residence hall staff.

Honor Code, Conflicts and Judicial Process

What is the Honor Code? 

Members of the University of Denver community are expected to act with integrity and pursue academic excellence; to respect differences in people, ideas, and opinions; and accept their responsibility as a local and global citizen. It is expected that all DU students will uphold the Honor Code and encourage others to follow their example. The full University of Denver Honor Code, including Student Conduct Policies and Procedures, can be found here.

What are my rights and responsibilities within the Student Conduct Process?

Throughout their involvement in the Student Conduct Process, both Respondent and Complainant parties have rights and responsibilities related to fair treatment, privacy, presence of a support person, written notice, freedom to respond to charge and provide testimony, and access to written decisions and appeal processes.

More information about rights and responsibilities.  

Physical and Academic Accommodations

Who is eligible to access the disability services program? 

The University of Denver's Disability Services Program provides accommodations at no cost to any student who has a documented disability.

  • A disability is a condition that substantially limits major life activity, such as walking, hearing, seeing, speaking, breathing, or learning. It can include physical disabilities, psychological disabilities, health-related disabilities, and learning disabilities.

Students can register with the Disability Services Program by submitting a Student Intake Packet and appropriate medical and/or psychoeducational documentation. For more information regarding eligibility and/or the registration process, contact the Disability Services Program at 303-871-2372 or

What programs and services does DU offer to support students with disabilities? 

The Disability Services Program provides a range of free accommodations for students with a documented disability. These include, but are not limited to, test accommodations; alternate format texts and materials; course substitutes; classroom changes; early registration; note takers; sign language/oral interpreters; referrals to other services and programs. For more information contact 303-871-2372 or

DU students who need support beyond the accommodations offered via the Disability Services Program can receive individualized academic support through the Learning Effectiveness Program (LEP) . LEP is a fee-for-service program available to students who have learning disabilities, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or a history of learning differences. For more information, contact 303-871-2372 or

Getting Involved on Campus: Student Organizations

How do I get involved with student organizations on campus? 

There are over 100 student organizations at DU. Many of these organizations are responsible for the various events taking place on campus, so joining a student organization is a great way to get right into the heart of the action.

View a current list of student organizations.

Interested in starting a new student organization on campus? Stop by the Student life Suite in Driscoll North to meet with a member of the Student Activities staff!

How do I find out about events on campus? 

Hundreds of programs are offered to the DU community throughout the academic year. These programs, presented in a wide variety of formats and appealing to a diverse group of students, include: theater, comedy, dance, film, theme weeks, novelty entertainment, adventure excursions, community service projects, national speakers, and local/national bands.

Read The Clarion (student newspaper), check the LCD displays throughout Driscoll, and look at campus bulletin boards for information. Many events are also listed on the Pioneer Calendar

Career Planning, Jobs and Internships

What career planning services are available to undergraduate students? 

The Career Services program provides practical advice and useful tools to help you chose or develop your career. The Career Services program offers individual counseling, workshops, and career/internship fairs that can help you explore your career options, develop your resume and cover letter, and connect with top employers across a variety of fields. For more information call 303-871-2150.

How do I get information about summer internships?

The Career Services Program offers a number of internship search tools, including the Pioneer Career job database. Visit the Career Services website for more information and tips related to the internship search process and instructions for accessing the Pioneer Career.