Skip navigation

Student Life

Parent & Family Engagement

Parent & Family Relations

Frequently Asked Questions

student resources

Who should my student talk to if they need help?

Students are provided with support and education about how to care for themselves and other community members through newsletters and other publications before they arrive at DU and in detailed sessions during Discoveries Orientation. At the University of Denver, we engage in a Culture of Care & Support for individuals and the campus community to maintain their safety, health, and well-being. Through our holistic collaboration, we can work together to ensure that our students are connected to the appropriate resources to meet their goals and develop new skills in navigating challenging experiences. Listed here are a few of the resources we suggest you become familiar with, so you are best able to guide your student to the resources that will meet different needs.

Student Outreach & Support

If you notice that your student is showing signs of distress or in other ways that give you the “gut feeling” something is wrong, it is important to communicate your concerns through the Pioneers CARE reporting system, a proactive and reactive design that has been developed to help individuals and the campus community maintain their safety, health, and well-being. This holistic approach, designed by the office of Student Outreach & Support, connects students to the appropriate resources to meet their goals and develop new skills in navigating challenging experiences. Some details about how to recognize indicators of difficulty or distress your student may be experiencing are found here. Important advice about when to report signs of distress and how the University responds to reports are also found on this page.

Health & Counseling

Click here for professional counseling services offered through the Health & Counseling Center here at DU.

Click here to schedule a medical appointment online.

Many resources for medical and counseling services, costs, educational events, and contact information may be found on the Health & Counseling website

For life-threatening emergencies, dial 911 and then Campus Safety at 303-871-3000.
After hours medical: 303-871-2205, Press 2
After hours counseling: 303-871-2205, Press 8

Center for Advocacy, Prevention, and Empowerment (CAPE)

The Center for Advocacy, Prevention, and Empowerment (CAPE) supports survivor healing by providing advocacy and support for victims of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment. Daytime Advocacy: 303-871-3853. After-Hours Crisis: 303-871-2205. Visit the CAPE website to become familiar with their resources or contact their office at [email protected]. CAPE provides information about receiving care, reporting options, confidential and non-confidential services, getting involved in educational programs, and many other resources here.

Parent & Family Engagement

When is Family Weekend?

We have two!

The first major event of the year is Homecoming & Family Weekend from October 12-14, 2018. This is a large-scale University event including Taste of DU, Pio-Palooza, Hockey, and a parent panel on studying abroad, among many other activities.

Parent & Family Weekend is planned for February 22-24, 2019. Events are designed to have activities you and your student can enjoy together, such as tours of major Denver attractions, fun historic bus tours in the city, Hockey games at Magness Arena, tours of the bell tower, and family meet-and-greet events.

Housing and Dining

What amenities are in each room of the residence halls?

A bed (frame and mattress), a dresser, a desk, and a chair will be provided for each resident in the first-year halls. Students who live in Towers reside in suites with kitchens. Students who live in JMAC and Halls will be provided with a microwave and mini-fridge. More detailed information about what each building offers can be found here.

What should I expect during move-in?

Move in times are staggered by even/odd room numbers. This information is detailed in students' move-in letters. We ask that students and families read through all of this information carefully to ensure a smooth move-in experience. Students are asked to bring one form of identification with them and are allowed to bring one other person in line with them for check-in. Keys will be given to the student as part of their check-in packet during move in.

A limited number of carts will be available for use at the residence halls' front desks. Families are able to pull up to the residence hall and unload the belongings, but then will need to park their vehicles in designated lots. We suggest that one person also waits with the belongings as the university is not responsible for lost/stolen items. Please be advised that the only first-year buildings with elevators are Centennial Towers and Centennial Halls. Johnson MacFarlane does not have an elevator. Students and their families can use the elevators to go up in the building but will need to take the stairs when coming down.

Do The students move out over winter break and do they keep their fall quarter room?

Centennial Halls and Johnson-MacFarlane will be closed for winter break. Students may keep their belongings in their rooms and can expect to remain in their assigned rooms throughout the entire academic year unless moved for approved administrative reasons. Please know there will not be any temporary housing options over winter break for students assigned to JMAC or Halls.

There will be a fall room change day that will take place the third week of the fall quarter. Students interested in staying over winter break can do a permanent move to Centennial Towers during that time based upon available spaces. For detailed information about your student's residence hall, visit this page.

When do the residence halls open after winter break?

Winter Quarter 2019 move in is scheduled on January 4th, 2019 at 9 am. Students who reside in university housing that is closed over the break will also receive this information as Housing and Residential Education prepares for winter break closing.

More information about housing dates can be found here.

Do the residence halls close during Spring Break? Can my student use their meal plan during Spring Break?

Residence halls do not close during Spring Break. However, students should be advised that dining services and front desk hours will be limited during this time. Students are notified of which areas will close, and which will remain open. Information about campus dining areas, meal plans, food allergy information, and many other resources about dining on campus may be found here.

What cleaning supplies are available for students to use and where do they find them?

Students can check out vacuums from the front desk of their residence hall. Trash bags are also available for students. Aside from these items, students will need to provide their own cleaning supplies as needed.

Is the front desk of each residence hall occupied by staff 24/7?

With the exception of the Apartments community, the front desk of each residence hall is operational 24 hours a day, 7 days a week starting on official move-in day and throughout the quarter. Limited desk hours go into effect during the winter and spring breaks.

Where do we find a list of what to bring/not to bring for move-in?

Follow this link for a full list of what to bring and what to leave at home!

How will my student receive mail packages?

All of your students flat mail and packages will be delivered to the front desk, which is then sorted out by the front desk staff. Mail and packages received during business hours will be logged and in their mailbox on the same day. If your student has any issues with a package, please encourage them to follow up with the Desk Manager of the building with a tracking code, description of the package, and confirmation of delivery. Desk Mangers contact information can be found here.

What are the meal plan options for my student?

DU offers a number of different meal plan options. Click here to find out more information about meal plans.

My student isn't using all of their meals. Can we change their dining options? 

Students are able to change their meal plan within the first week of each quarter. This can be done by emailing Housing and Residential Education at [email protected] or stopping by the front desk in Nagel Hall (during business hours, M-F, 8am to 4:30pm).

Health & Counseling Services

What is the difference between the Student HealthInsurance Plan and the Student Health & Counseling Fee?

The Health and Counseling Fee covers many services provided at the Health & Counseling Center (HCC). All students enrolled for six or more (eight for law students) hours of graded credit in a traditional program are automatically charged the HCF each quarter or semester (for law students) Students enrolled for fewer than six hours of credit must contact the HCC to enroll since the HCF is not automatically assessed on the tuition bill.

The University of Denver offers a comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) that is underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources. This plan is designed specifically for students attending the University of Denver and is only available to enrolled active students. Students choose to either enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan or choose to waive the plan with proof of alternate coverage.

Where do we find information about student health insurance and the student health & counseling fee?
  • For more information on the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) and the Health and Counseling Fee (HCF), click here.
  • For specific information regarding the Health and Counseling Fee (HCF), click here.
  • For specific information regarding the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), click here.
How much is the student health fee?

The Student Health and Counseling Fee for the 2018-2019 academic year is $200 per academic quarter. Semester students will be charged $300 per semester.

What does my student get by paying the health fee?

The Health and Counseling Fee (HCF) helps subsidize many services covered at the HCC regardless of insurance coverage. The HCF provides discounted in-house medications, discounted laboratory tests, discounted procedures, and low co-payments for counseling and medical appointments.

What if my student has a medical emergency after hours?

The Health and Counseling Center can be consulted when our office may be closed. For detailed information on where to receive support after hours, please consult our webpage.

What are the typical counseling services offered?

Counseling Services is here to support your student's academic success through licensed psychologists and licensed social workers along with supervised graduate student staff. Counseling staff is here if your student is experiencing a situational problem, a crisis, or has long-standing mental health concerns. Counseling offers individual and group therapy sessions, same day access, along with psychiatric and psychiatry services by licensed professionals.

How many counseling visits can my student have?

As of the 2018-2019 academic year, there will no longer be a limit on the number of counseling sessions a student can receive. Rather, we are going to move to unlimited number of sessions with counselors managing student care on an individual basis.

For more answers to frequently asked questions about student healthcare, please visit the Health & Counseling Center FAQ webpage.

Student Outreach & Support

What is Student Outreach and Support (SOS)?

This office functions to support students when they are having difficulties at the University. SOS engages in a Culture of Care & Support for individuals and the campus community to maintain their safety, health, and well-being.

How does SOS support students?
  • Educating the students on the services available to support them
  • Collaborating across departments
  • Developing an environment where everyone understands their responsibility in noticing the well-being of those around them
  • Helping the campus community learn the skills to know when and how to intervene
  • Creating access to resources, document and refer students to the appropriate university office
How does the referral system work? Who has the ability to make a referral?

The Pioneers CARE reporting system is a process to submit information about a student who may be experiencing a challenging situation and needs help to connect to the appropriate resources. Each report is reviewed by staff members and then assigned to a Case Manager to outreach to the student and develop a support plan. This report activates the appropriate University protocol to support both the individual and the campus community in maintaining their safety, health, and well-being. Anyone is able to submit a report.

Campus Safety

How are students notified of an emergency on campus?

Campus Safety uses a campus-wide alter system that every student is automatically added to when they arrive at DU. This system distributes information across campus to provide timely warnings regarding campus emergencies. Campus Safety Alerts are sent out only when there is an immediate threat to campus, campus closures due to weather, and/or when a crime trend is detected. Students can choose to receive a text, phone call, and/or email alerts.

Is there a safe alternative to walking alone on campus during night or early morning hours?

Campus Safety offers a walking escort for students, staff and faculty who do not want to walk on campus alone. Escorts will walk you to and from any location on campus. To request an escort, call 303-871-2334.

Where can my student register their bike? What bike lock is the best at preventing bike theft?

Students should register and permit their bicycle thru their Parking Services Account. Campus Safety recommends securing bicycles using only U-Lock devices and ensure that the U-Lock is through the bicycle's frame. Students, staff and faculty often wonder why we require the use of U-Locks. The reason is simple: cable locks are easily cut with basic tools and allow bikes to be stolen in a matter of a few short moments.

Where can my student register their belongings (laptop, bike, etc.)?

The University of Denver maintains a database for property registration. Registering property increases the chances of recovery in the event that your student's items are stolen – particularly if they are able to register the property with the serial number. All current Students, Staff, and Faculty may register laptops, smartphones and other valuable items here.

First Generation Student Support

My student is a first-generation college student. Where can they find on-campus support?

There are a number of resources on campus to support your student. We have a staff member, Alfredo Gallegos, dedicated to first-generation student support. He is the primary point of contact of our first-generation students and will help your student navigate the college experience. He also runs a first-generation student transition program called 1GenU.

What is the 1GenU Program?

1GenU is a four-year developmental and community-building program that focuses on assisting first-generation students and their families in navigating the institution while providing mentorship and academic resources to ensure their success at DU and post-graduation. Students can join this program by filling out the application located at the 1GenU webpage.

Financial Aid

What is COF? How do we apply for COF?

COF is also known as the College Opportunity Fund. It is another means of gaining financial assistance as a Colorado resident. Students can apply through the COF application online here

For more information about eligibility and application requirements, click here.

Where can my student find scholarships available to them?

Our Financial Aid office offers a number of resources to help students find scholarships both at DU and in the community. Visit their website or set up an appointment to receive one-on-one assistance.

How can my student apply for work-study?

Your student can apply for work-study through their FAFSA application. Once they have received their financial aid award letter, it should indicate if they received a work-study award. If your student does not qualify for work-study, they have the opportunity to work for a variety of offices on campus and can view student employment opportunities here.

Student Financial Services (Bursar)

When will I get a bill and when is payment due?

All non-first year students will receive a bill once they have registered for classes. This will be posted to their DUPay account 4 weeks before the start of the quarter. The bill is due 10 days prior to the start of classes each quarter. First-year students will receive their first bill after class registration during Discoveries Orientation. After their first quarter, all payments will be due 10 days before the start of the new quarter. Your student can add authorized users to their DUPay account which would allow a non-DU individual to access the bill and make payments.

How can my student provide me access to pay their tuition?

Students can sign up to give others (parents, employers, etc.) the ability to access their tuition account information through DUPay. Authorized users can view account balances and make payments. Students also have the option to give Authorized Users access to their bills and payment history. Students can do this by:

  • Logging in to DUPay
  • Selecting the Authorized Users tab under My Account
  • Clicking Add Authorized User
  • Entering the email address of the authorized user and select the permissions to allow
  • Checking the "I agree" box in the agreement window
  • Clicking Continue

Note: Two emails will be sent to the authorized user with instructions to complete setup. One email contains their username, the second email contains their password

What payment options are available for tuition?

The University of Denver offers payment plan options to pay tuition and fees. Quarterly payment plans are available for undergraduates & graduates. Semester plans are available for law students. The application fee is $20 per quarter plan and $30 per semester plan.

  • Sign up through DUPay once you receive your first bill for the term. Enrollment period ends on the 1st installment due date.
  • The application fee is non-refundable.
  • Installment amounts will automatically adjust if additional charges or credits are added to a student account. An email will be sent after any adjustment is made.
  • Late fees of 1.5% may be assessed on any installments 30 days or more past due.
  • Release of transcripts/diploma is restricted until the entire plan amount and account balance are paid in full.
  • Payment plan must be paid in full to register for subsequent terms.

For more information about tuition and making payments, please visit the Bursar's website .

Academic Support

How do I find out when my student has a day off?

The Office of the Registrar posts all academic, billing, and registration dates on their website.

Who helps students with physical or learning disabilities?

The Disability Services Program (DSP) is dedicated to giving students with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in the University's programs, courses and activities. DSP provides accommodations at no cost to any student who has a documented disability as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
If a student would like to request accommodations, they should fill out the Request for Accommodation form which can be found online, and submit all required documentation.

Information about our documentation guidelines can also be found online at the Disability Services Program web address.

For more questions, please contact Disability Services at 303.871.3241 or by email at [email protected]

What resources are there for students who are questioning their major or career path?

We have two offices dedicated to helping your student discover their academic and career goals. Students looking for academic assistance can visit our Office of Academic Advising which collaborates with students to help them achieve academic success. Students can visit them to discuss any of the following areas:

  • Major/minor exploration
  • Graduation planning
  • Time management strategies
  • Organizational strategies
  • Developing educational/career goals
  • Evaluating academic progress
  • Identifying campus resources
  • Study strategies
  • Applying for law school
  • Understanding academic policy
  • Taking a leave or medical leave of absence
  • Petitioning for an academic exception to policy

For career advice and guidance, students can visit our Office of Career & Professional Development. This office has many career advisors who can provide guidance to student about career options, paths, and more. Students can schedule an appointment and find more information here.

Transfer Student Support

My student transferred from a different university. How are their credits transferred?

We accept transferred credit for courses that reasonably match courses offered here at DU.

  • Encourage your student to check the Registrar's site to find out if their classes qualify for transfer credit.
  • Applicants from community colleges in Colorado: See our credit matrix for guidelines on transferring credit within the Common Curriculum.
Where can my student find off-campus housing?

Students can find more information about off-campus housing at the DU Housing & Residential Education website.

DU's Housing and Residential Education department does not provide off-campus housing, however, they are happy to help connect your student to resources for living off campus.

If your student has questions about the Denver housing market, needs more resources, or would like to schedule a time to talk with the Off-Campus Housing Fellow, please have them send an email to [email protected].

How can my student get involved at DU?

At the University of Denver there are so many ways to get involved. Whether it's attending the University's traditional events, participating as an athlete or a fan in DU Athletics, becoming a brother or sister in a Fraternity or Sorority organization, or joining one of over 150 campus students organizations, there are so many opportunities for students to build relationships and contribute to the DU community. We also have club and intermural athletics,  Living Learning Communities, service learning, internship opportunities, Affinity groups, and so much more.

To get involved on campus, students can visit the Student Engagement webpage.


What kind of computer and/or computer programs should my student bring?

Although the choice of what laptop to purchase or lease is yours, we do have recommendations to make. Our list of recommended laptop manufacturers are Apple and Dell. This list resulted from evaluations conducted by our staff that considered such factors as price, speed, functionality, reliability, service, industry rankings and feedback from other universities requiring laptops. Most importantly, these vendors have been "tried and true" with our students in the DU mobile computing environment.

For more information please click here.

How can my student print on campus?

Students are able to connect to any campus printer in order to print. While printing on campus comes at a small charge per page, each student receives a $25 credit on their student ID per quarter for printing purposes. For more information about printing, please click here.

What technology resources does DU provide?

The IT Computer Help Center at the University of Denver has an extensive technical support network to assist you with your questions and technical issues. The Help Center can provide support for the following:

  • On-campus wired and wireless networks
  • Public printers
  • Password resets
  • Anti-virus software (Crowdstrike)
  • External VPN client (Cisco Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client)
  • Windows 7, 8.1, 10 (Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 8 support has been discontinued. For assistance in upgrading, please contact the IT Help Center.)
  • macOS 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.12 (Sierra) and 10.13 (High Sierra)
  • Macintosh 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), Mac 10.8 (Mountain Lion), and Macintosh 10.9 (Mavericks) support has been discontinued. For assistance in upgrading please contact the IT Help Center.
  • Microsoft Office 2010, 2013, 2016 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Microsoft Office 2016 for Windows and Mac can be downloaded for FREE, please visit
  • DUnet software
  • VMWare (Horizon) View Client
  • DU system support (Email, PioneerWeb, passwords)
  • Basic software and hardware troubleshooting


How can my student get involved on campus?

There are a number of ways students can get involved on campus. DU offers over 500 different student organizations that students can join. We also have club and intermural athletics, Fraternity and Sorority Life, Living Learning Communities, service learning, internship opportunities, Affinity groups, and so much more. For more information on how your student can get involved on campus, visit the Student Engagement webpage.

How does my student get tickets to athletic events on campus?

Student tickets are available for all athletic events for FREE with their ID with the exception of hockey – they are limited. Hockey season tickets are provided to the first 200 students at the annual hockey campout event (end of September) as well as another 200 single game tickets on Wednesday's prior to each home series. Once these tickets are distributed student tickets are only $5 and can be secured on-line or at the box office while they last. Please visit or call 303.871.3938 for more information.

How do students get to the mountains to go skiing?

If a student does not have a car, they can car pool with friends or jump in the ski bus. The ski bus is a service provided through the DU Alpine Club. A charter bus will take students from campus up to one of the resorts featured on the Epic and Ikon passes. The cost for a seat on the bus is typically between $10-15 and covers the student's transportation to the resort and back to campus. Students are responsible for their lift ticket, equipment, food and any other expenses. Registration will be online and is first come, first serve.

For more information about the Alpine Club, Ski bus, Epic or Ikon pass and more, please visit the Alpine club's webpage.


Can my student bring a car to campus their first year?

Students are able to bring a car during their first year. The parking spaces are in high demand and are limited. It is up to you and your student's discretion on whether to bring a car to campus or not. There are also a number of other transportation options available to students to get around DU and the greater Denver area. Each student is provided a student RTD pass which allows students to ride on the buses and light rails for free.

How does my student get a parking permit? What parking is available for students?

Your student can purchase a parking permit on our Parking and Mobility Services Office webpage.

Once your student purchases their permit, there are a number of lots in which they can park. Each lot is specific to a permit type, please visit the Parking and Mobilities Services website for more details about lots and permit options.

Where can students park bicycles?

There are bike racks all around campus that students can use to park their bikes.

How can my student get to Denver International Airport?

There are a number of ways for students to get to the airport from DU. All Full-time students receive a Student RTD pass which allows them to ride the light rail or bus systems. If using the light rail, the best route to take is the E-line to Union station and then transfer to the A-line to the airport. Students can also take Lyft or Uber keeping in mind that is does cost approximately $40 one-way. Lyft & Uber also offer Line and Pool options that cost less if you are willing to share your ride with another person.


How can my student prepare for winter weather in Colorado?

With the unpredictable winter weather in Colorado, it's best to be prepared at all times. Students should have the following to wear or have handy to stay warm if temperatures drop:

  • Layers, including thermals and sweatshirts
  • Winter coat that is wind and waterproof
  • Gloves
  • Hat
  • Winter or Snow Boots (waterproof)
  • Scarves
  • Extra blankets
  • Microwaveable food in case they don't want to leave their room/house

If your student has a car in Denver, here are additional items to have on hand:

  • Window scraper for ice & snow removal
  • A "winter kit" to keep in the car including:
    • Blanket
    • Extra set of warm clothes
    • Water
    • Snacks (energy bars)
    • Flashlight with extra batteries
    • First aid kit
    • Necessary medications
    • Emergency flares or reflectors
    • Car charger for cell phone