Skip navigation
Driscoll Student Center

Student Outreach and Support

Support and Resources

Our Office Functions

SOS Referral System

The SOS Referral system is a process to submit information about a student who may be experiencing a challenging situation and needs help to connect to the appropriate resources.

Read more

Each referral is reviewed by staff members and then assigned to a Case Manager to outreach to the student and develop a support plan.  This referral activates the appropriate University protocol to support both the individual and the campus community in maintaining their safety, health and well-being.

Please refer to our page on how to recognize and support student in distress for examples of indicators of concerning behavior. Please also always error on the side of submitting a referral. It is critical for our students and campus community that we receive this information in a timely manner.

Additional signs include:

  • Difficulties with family/home environment
  • Difficulties with food security and housing
  • Difficulties adjusting to the college experience
  • Financial Concerns
  • Relationship Concerns
  • Unable to locate the student
  • Witness to an accident

If you know of a student who is experiencing any of the above signs or stressors, we encourage you to submit a SOS Referral  through the online referral system.

A note about confidentiality:
As a part of this process, we work very hard to maintain confidentiality for students so they trust the work we’re doing. As a result, if you submit a referral, we do not generally report back or communicate with you about the details of how we’ll be working with individual students.

A SOS Referral is not for emergencies.  If there is an immediate threat to a student (either through self-harm or interpersonal violence) or the community, please call Campus Safety at 303-871-3000, or if dialing from a campus phone, 1-3000.

If you have a concern about our referral process, please contact the SOS Referral administrator.

Medical Leaves/Reentries

A student with a mental health and/or physical health condition may elect to apply for a Medical Leave of Absence from the University.  The Medical Leave of Absence and Medical Reentry Policies describe the circumstances under which a student may request a Medical Leave of Absence and the procedures the student must follow.

Documentation guidelines Medical Leave of Absence and Reentry Policies

Read More

Medical Withdrawal Considerations

  • Students receiving financial aid should check with the Office of Financial Aid at 303-871-4020 about loan, scholarship and other financial aid consequences.
  • Student employees should contact employment services in the Office of Financial Aid at 303-871-4020.  Students with graduate assistantships should contact the Office Of Graduate Education at 303-871-2706
  • International students in the United States with F-1 or J-1 visa status must contact International Student and Scholar Services at 303-871-4912.
  • Student Athletes must contact Student Athlete Support Services at 303-871-4532.
  • Students insured through the University Student Health Insurance Plan should check with the Health & Counseling Center at 303-871-2205 about the health insurance coverage.
  • For more information regarding eligibility requirements and coverage for the DU Student Health Insurance Plan, currently underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources (UHCSR), please refer to the plan summary

Campus Housing Consideration:
Students living in University housing should contact Housing and Residential Education directly at 303-871-2246 or for any questions. More detailed information about the check-out procedures can be found at Steps for Moving out Mid-Quarter.

  • Students who are in process of a Medical Leave of Absence approval who want to move out immediately , should make sure to remove all of their belongings from their room, that the room is cleaned, return all keys to the front desk of the building and email to communicate the move out due to pending Medical Leave. 
  • Students who have completed a Medical Leave of Absence and withdrawal for the quarter will need to move out and vacate their on-campus assignment within 48-72 hours of the withdrawal. In order to check out, please make sure to remove all of their belongings from their room, that the room is cleaned, return all keys to the front desk of the building and email to communicate the move out due to pending Medical Leave.
  • All room and meal plan charges will be prorated to last day of check out, pending MLOA approval.
  • Students must complete a new housing application for the expected quarter of return and will be placed on a waitlist for a new room assignment. Original residential buildings and room assignments cannot be reserved upon student’s return, however, Housing & Residential Education will attempt to make the assignments before the start of the quarter after Medical Re-Entry has been approved.

Medical Leave of Absence

  • STEP 1: Submit the Application for Medical Leave of Absence form for mental health and/or physical health conditions that prevent the student from functioning successfully or safely as a member of the University community.
  • STEP 2: Submit medical documentation from the student’s treating physician, licensed mental health provider, or other licensed healthcare provider addressing the criteria specified in the Treating Healthcare Medical Leave of Absence form.

Reentry from a Medical Leave of Absence Considerations

  • Students are responsible for clearing any registration holds prior to attempting to register for classes and updating contact information. To view any registration holds and update your contact information, you must access your PioneerWeb account. For assistance with your PioneerWeb account, contact Information Technology at 303.871.4700 or
  • Students are responsible for securing financial aid, if needed, for the quarters in which they plan to re-enroll. Students seeking reentry are subject to the same financial aid deadlines as continuing students. For information on applying for financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 303.871.4020.
  • International students in the United States with F-1 or J-1 visa status must contact International Student and Scholar Services at 303.871.4912.
  • Student athletes should contact Student Athlete Support Services at 303.871.4406.
  • Students previously living in University housing must contact Housing and Residential Education at 303.871.2246 or to complete a housing application for the quarter they desire to return. After the student has submitted the housing application, the student may be placed on a waitlist for new room assignments while the reentry application is pending. Following approval of a student’s Medical Leave of Absence Reentry, Housing and Residential Education will make a room assignment for the student based on availability.

Medical Reentry

As set forth in the Medical Leave of Absence and Reentry Policies, a student who desires to return to the University following a Medical Leave of Absence, Retroactive Drop for Medical Reasons, or Tuition Refund for Medical Reasons, must complete the following steps:

Retroactive Withdrawal for Medical Reasons

Retroactive Withdrawal for Medical Reasons (within 90 days from the last day of the term) : Students with a mental health and/or physical health condition that prevents them from completing course(s) may request a retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons up to ninety (90) days after the last day of classes for the term for which they are making the request.  When submitting the request, students must provide a detailed explanation regarding the reason that they were not able to meet the applicable deadline and documentation to support this reason. Typically, if the treating healthcare provider does not address every item identified in the Treating Healthcare Provider Form, the University may not approve the student’s request. Students should work with Student Outreach & Support to submit the request for a retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons, along with the required documentation.


Retroactive Withdrawal for Medical Reasons (after 90 days from the last day of the term): If the deadline has passed for submission of a request for retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons, students may submit this request to the Academic Exceptions Committee. Typically, the Academic Exceptions Committee does not approve requests for retroactive withdrawal for medical reasons that are submitted more than one year after the end of the term for which the request is made. When submitting the request, students must provide a detailed explanation regarding the reason that they were not able to meet the applicable deadline and documentation to support this reason. Students must also submit medical documentation from the student’s treating healthcare provider using the Treating Healthcare Provider Retroactive Withdrawal and Reentry for Medical Reasons form. The treating healthcare provider must address each item set forth in the form. To fully understand the requirements, students should carefully review the Medical Leave and Reentry Policies.

Non-Medical Leave of Absence and Reentry

Students withdrawing from the university that plan to return to their studies at the University of Denver need to meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising office in addition to following the withdrawal procedures outlined above. At the meeting, students will complete a leave of absence application in collaboration with an advisor.

Policy Information: Students can elect to withdraw from classes and take a Leave of Absence for up to one year. After withdrawing from classes, students fill out a Leave of Absence form each year to be considered as a continuing student at DU. After five years away from DU, students may no longer extend their leave of absence using this process. Students that have been away from DU for five years or more have to completely re-apply to be admitted to DU through the Office of Admission.

Students who have taken a leave, have withdrawn from DU, who have left DU without formally withdrawing or who have been academically suspended, need to submit a re-entry form prior to resuming their studies.

Students returning from a conduct suspension must also complete a re-entry from conduct suspension form

Basic Needs at DU

Resource, Assistance, Empowerment (RAE) is a separate set of resources designed to support students navigating homelessness, risk of homelessness, food insecurity, and students who are or have been associated with the foster care system. Students are referred to RAE through financial aid and the SOS Referral system and are then paired with a case manager in the office of Student Outreach & Support. The goal of RAE is to support students in navigating these needs with the ultimate goal of persistence toward graduation.

Read More

Health and Counseling Center (HCC) Resources

All undergraduates students pay the Student Health and Counseling Fee (HCF), ensuring eligibility for low-cost, easy access services right on campus.  Graduate students are encouraged to pay the quarterly Health and Counseling fee in order to have low-cost access to the exemplary services available at the HCC. With the HCF, Counseling and medical appointments have a low co-pay of $15, and if students also have the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) visits are usually are free.  All group therapy visits are free. More information on the Health and Counseling Fee can be found here. If students are concerned about the cost of counseling or medical appointments, they can contact the Health and Counseling Center Directly at 303-871-2205.


Students who are interested in applying for Colorado Medicaid Benefits can view eligibility requirements here. Students who are interested in individually checking their eligibility or filling out the application for Medicaid benefits can get started here.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Students who are interested in applying for Colorado SNAP Benefits can view eligibility requirements here. Specific eligibility requirements for students can be viewed here.

How to Make a Referral

If you or another member of the DU community is experiencing homelessness, a risk of homelessness, or food security, and would like to be referred to the office of Student Outreach & Support, please submit a SOS Referral here.

DU Food Pantry

The DU Food Pantry is located in the Center for Sustainability in Centennial Towers.

For the Fall 2019 Quarter the food pantry will be open from 4-8 pm on Tuesdays. Outside of these hours, please email to schedule an appointment.

Learn how to donate to the Food Pantry here.

Swipe Out Hunger at DU

During the donation drives held each quarter, students can donate swipes by filling out a donation form at the campus dining hall registers. Swipes are then redistributed to students facing food insecurity through the Student Outreach and Support Office.  For more information, check out the Swipe Out Hunger website.

Denver Community Resources 

Food and Meals 

Capitol Hill Community Services 
Location dependent on day, associated locations below: First Baptist Church, AME Jordan Church, Trinity United Methodist Church, Agape Christian Church 
P: 303-847-8239

First Baptist Church 
1373 Grant Street, Denver, CO 80203
P: 303-861-2501
Lunch: Monday 11:45 AM-12:15 PM

AME Jordan Church 
2900 Milwaukee St, Denver, CO 80205
P: 303-322-7427
Lunch Tuesday, 12:00 PM-12:30 PM

Trinity United Methodist Church 
1820 Broadway, Denver, CO 80202
P: 303-839-1493
Lunch: Wednesday - Friday: 11:45 AM - 12:15 AM

Agape Christian Church 
2501 California St, Denver CO 80205
P: 303-296-2454
Lunch: Saturday: 11:30 AM - 12:15 PM

Christ's Body Ministries 
850 Lincoln Street Denver, CO 80203
P: 303-860-1272
Breakfast Tuesday-Thursday from 10:00 AM-11:15 AM, Friday 8:00 AM-12:00 PM
Lunch Tuesday-Thursday 11:45 AM-1:00 PM

Grocery pick-up: Tuesday, Thursday or Friday Mornings
Free showers and one load of laundry for those "on the list" at 10:00 AM
Tuesday 11:30 AM Haircuts and foot care is available

Denver Rescue Mission 
Lawrence Street Community Center
2222 Lawrence St, Denver, CO 80205
P: 303-294-0157
Breakfast: 7:00 AM Daily
Lunch: 12:00 PM Daily
Dinner: 5:00 PM Daily (Dinner only for men staying overnight in one of the Missions three shelter locations)

Also offers showers and restrooms, basic health services, laundry services, and operates a daytime courtyard
Food Pantry (Valid Photo DI Needed):
Distribution: Ministry Outreach Center (Denver)
5725 East 39th Avenue, Denver, CO 80207
Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM

Friends of St. Andrew Hospitality Center 
1525 Dallas Street, Aurora, CO 80010
P: 303-364-2329
Day Shelter with a hot lunch (days not specified), food bank, job search help, and personal mail address 

Father Woody's Haven of Hope: Jay Gould Center 
1101 W. 7th Avenue (7th and Lipan), Denver, CO 80204
P: 303-607-0855
Hot Lunch at 10 am (Monday-Friday)
Also has medical services, showers, food boxes, laundry and phone service, wireless internet access, clothing, mail and document safe keeping, over the counter medication, VA Representative, and outreach coordinator 

The Gathering Place 
1535 High Street, Denver, CO 80218
P: 303-321-4198
P: 303-321-0679
Breakfast at 8:30 AM, Lunch at 11:30 AM, Snack at 3:30 PM.
Serves women, children, and transgender individuals. Members receive "fresh, nutritious meals" three times per day. Members also have the opportunity to receive 25 lbs of food per month as well as toiletry and hygiene items.

The GrowHaus
4751 York Street, Denver, CO, 80216
No Cost Grocery Program with hot meal served at 12:00 am. To sign-up for no cost groceries, arrive at around 10:00 am to put your name on the list. 

Holy Ghost Church 
1900 California St, Denver, CO 80202
P: 303-292-1556
Sandwich Line: Monday-Saturday 10-10:30AM

Hunger Free Colorado
Hunger Free Colorado leads efforts to connect families and individuals to food resources in Colorado.
Food Resource Hotline: 855-855-4626 (State Wide), 720-382-2920 (Metro Denver)
Bilingual Options 

Same Café 
2023 East Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80206
P: 720-530-6853
Exchange volunteer time for a meal by showing up at the Café and ordering a meal, when you check out let them know you would like to exchange time for the meal and they will sign you up for a shift that day! 

Volunteers of America, Colorado Branch 
2877 Lawrence Street, Denver, CO 80205
P: 303-295-2165,
Breakfast: 8:00 AM (M-Th)
Lunch: 11:30 AM (M-Th), 12:00 PM (F), 1:00 PM (Su)
Dinner: 6:00 PM (M-Th)

Updated July 2019


Bannock Youth and Family Center
455 Bannock, Denver, CO 80204

Denver Rescue Mission
STAR transitional Program
Family Rescue Ministry
Family Refugee Services
Denver Rescue Mission
For Men: Lawrence Street Shelter, Holly Center, 48th Street Center (owned by City of Denver but operated by the Mission). Call 303-297-1815 for more information. Get Directions online.
For Women and Children, please call 303-297-1815 for referral to an appropriate shelter by Denver Rescue Mission   

The Delores Project
P.O. Box 1406, Denver, CO 80201-1406
The Delores Project provides safe, comfortable shelter and personalized services for unaccompanied women and transgender individuals experiencing homelessness. We also work to end homelessness by advocating for housing solutions.

Urban Peak
Denver, CO 80223 
Shelter: Every day of the year, the Urban Peak Shelter is a warm, safe option to another night on the streets. Our 40-bed facility is the only licensed youth shelter in the Denver metro area primarily serving young adults. We also provide meals, clothing, a clinic and mental health evaluations.

Student Bereavement Policy

The Office of Student Outreach & Support (SOS) is the designated office to help support students in the event of a death in the student's immediate family or household.  The student bereavement policy allows students a certain number of excused absences.  Students can request verification of these absences by completing the verification request form.  Student Outreach & Support staff will then notify the student's instructors of the verified absences. 

Funding Opportunities

Emergency Loans

Short term emergency loans are available to students who are experiencing temporary financial hardship.  Find out more about this process here.

Financial Wellness and Planning

The office of Student Outreach & Support is collaborating with the office of Financial Aid to promote financial wellness. Through a self-directed web based program, CashCourse, students are presented with realistic content that relates to everyday college experiences.

Student Assistance Fund (Formerly the Student Emergency Fund)

The Student Assistance Fund provides limited financial assistance to currently enrolled University of Denver students who are unable to meet immediate, essential expenses because of temporary hardship related to an unexpected situation. The fund is designated to off-set a short-term financial need and is not intended to replace or supplement financial aid. Therefore, long term needs can be addressed by meeting with a SOS Case Manager to determine available options. Funds are awarded as a grant, and unlike a loan, do not need to be repaid. Funds may count as income and may be subject to federal and/or state taxes.

Read More

Types of Expenses that may be covered

The following includes typical expenses that may be covered by this fund. This list is not exhaustive:

  • Replacement of essential personal belongings due to fire, flood, theft, or natural disaster
  • Medications or costs related to emergency medical care (not covered by insurance) that are not able to be covered by a payment plan, and that are impacting the applicant's ability to pay for other essential expenses or basic need items.
    • It is encouraged for applicants to demonstrate that they have talked to a financial counselor at the hospital or treatment center at which they received treatment.
    • If applicant is insured, insurance adjustments must have already taken place and be evident on the bill
  • Temporary or emergency housing assistance, or assistance with housing due to an emergency situation. Including but not limited to rent, utility costs, or an on campus option.
  • Emergency transportation costs related to a family death or illness
  • Safety related needs (i.e. changing a lock)
  • Other emergency situation that will impact a student's ability to fully participate in their academic career at DU

The following includes examples of items that will NOT be covered by this fund. This list is not exhaustive:

  • Penalties, fines, tickets, legal fees, or jail bonds
  • Normal and anticipated academic expenses (tuition, fees, health insurance, books, rent)
  • Non-essential utilities, household or furniture costs not related to damage or theft
  • Costs for entertainment, recreation, health insurance, or non-emergency travel
  • Replacement of non-essential personal items due to fire, flood, theft or natural disaster
  • Medical bills for ongoing or non-emergency reasons including (but not limited to) routine lab work, primary care visits, physical therapy or mental health counseling appointments.
  • Laptop replacement when the applicant is eligible for the Laptop Loan Program through Information Technology.

Eligibility Guidelines (all of the following must apply)

  • Applicant must be a currently enrolled student at the University of Denver
  • Applicant must have financial hardship resulting from an emergency, accident, or other critical incident
  • Other possible resources have been considered and are either unavailable or insufficient
  • Priority will be given to students who have not applied for this fund within the past year
  • Generally, a maximum of one award will be given within a term to any one student. However, extenuating circumstances will be considered for students who may require additional assistance.

Documentation Guidelines:

Applicant must be able to provide appropriate documentation to verify the circumstances for the funding request. The application is considered incomplete without the appropriate documentation. Documentation must be submitted both at the time application is submitted (when possible) and after funding is received to document appropriate usage of funding. Receipts submitted after approval can be submitted directly to Examples of documentation include, but are not limited to:

  • Travel related documentation
  • Medical bills
  • Essential utility bills
  • Police reports or court records
  • Receipts or invoices pertaining to covered expenses listed above

Documentation must include:

  • Cost of item or service student is requesting coverage for through the Student Assistance Fund
  • Name or title of item or service for which student is requesting coverage.
  • Name of student somewhere in the documentation to confirm student's documentation belongs to the student.
    • For example: documentation for medications must include cost of medication, any reduction by insurance or price after insurance coverage if applicable, name of student receiving prescription, and demonstration that cost is related to prescription (though the exact prescription and medication name does not have to be included).
  • If documentation is perceived to be falsified student will be submitted to Student Rights & Responsibilities to determine if student violated University of Denver's Honor Code.

Things to note regarding the assistance fund

If the fund will not meet the students’ needs, more information can be provided which could involve different offices (ie. Financial Aid, Student Financial Services, etc.)

Your request may not be fully funded. Long term needs will be directed to Financial Aid for further funding options. (NOTE: Financial Aid options could include self-help aid such as loans or work study.) 

Receiving this grant could affect the student’s financial aid package. If the student’s financial aid package will be impacted by the grant the student will be notified via email prior to awarding so they are able to make an informed decision.

Application Process

Students must submit an application and related documentation via the linked form to the Office of Student Outreach & Support. A committee will review the application and determine the funding amount. If approved, students will be notified of the amount and the money will be distributed. Typically, award amounts range from $50-$500 per student depending on the situation. Students receiving assistance from this fund must submit receipts within 10 business days. Failure to do so could prohibit use of this fund in the future. Receipts can be submitted to the student’s assigned SOS Case Manager.

Giving to the Fund

The number of students who can be served by the fund is subject to available resources. The fund must be sustained by contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends of the University. To donate to the fund,

  • Visit
  • Click on "Give Now" button in the upper right hand corner
  • Under Designations, select "Click Here for More Options"
  • Under current initiatives, select "Student Emergency Fund" or type "Student Emergency Fund" into the search bar
  • Make a donation of any amount to support the SAF

Lillie Family Undergraduate Student Engagement Grant

Through a generous donation from the James and Lisa Lillie Charitable Foundation, the University of Denver proudly offers engagement grants to qualified recipients. This program is designed to create student learning and extra-curricular opportunities for students by increasing students’ access to transformative academic, co-curricular, and pre-professional experiences through strong student advising and financial support.

Read More

Because this grant is designed to increase access for students to engagement opportunities, need is an important consideration. Students with financial need will receive priority grant funding. SOS will use several methods to help determine need including, but not limited to, the following:

  • Financial Aid information
  • Whether the Student has paid for the activity already and is seeking reimbursement
  • Information provided by the student
  • Previous requests and information held by Student outreach & Support.

Funding Criteria

Examples of activities that the Grant may support included but are not limited to:

Academic Enrichment:

  • Fees associated with studying abroad (visas, passports, stipends, other pre-departure preparatory materials).
  • Tutoring and academic support costs (such as the Learning Effectiveness Program)
  • Books and supplies for courses (science and art studio courses tend to cost significantly more than others, often impacting a student’s choice of courses to take).

Co-Curricular Experiences

  • Club sports (equipment, gear, additional associated fees not covered by student activities fee).
  • Traditional large-scale student events (such as Homecoming, Winter Carnival, and May days; these are heavily subsidized but the total cost to attend is not fully covered).
  • College sponsored co-curricular events not covered by student activities fees (e.g. Fritz Knoebel School of Hospitality Management wine tasting event, leadership development programs, Founders Formal).
  • Sporting Events (especially for national championships).

Pre-Professional Preparation:

  • Professional attire and tailoring (can help with student’s confidence during interviews).
  • Unpaid internships (lodging, travel, food).
  • Professional development funds (academic and leadership conferences).


  • Student must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program at the University of Denver
  • One grant may be awarded per academic year (July 1 to June 30).
  • The student must be in good academic standing with the University
  • Students who have applied previously are still welcome to apply but note that preference will be given to students who have not received funding in the past academic year.

Application Process

  1. Complete an online application
  2. Applications must be submitted for funding during the same academic year (July 1 to June 30).
  3. Applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event date.

Fund limitations & expectations

The Office of Student Outreach & Support will carefully review all funding requests based on the information provided in the application. Here is some additional information:

  • Funding must be used solely for the purpose outlined in the submitted application;
  • Funding must be used for purposes consistent with University of Denver policies;
  • Funding is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis;
  • Submission of an application does not guarantee funding will be awarded;
  • Appropriate documentation (e.g., receipts or copies of paid invoices) must be submitted to the Office of Student Outreach & Support no later than two weeks after the event. Failure to do so could impact future funding opportunities

Please email with any questions