Skip navigation

The Center

Center for Sustainability

History

2016

  • The Renter Efficiency Program for Students (REPS), a partnership with Xcel Energy, starts auditing student apartments and making energy efficiency improvements.
  • DU earns a silver rating for AASHE STARS.

2015

  • The Bridge Community Garden is moved to its new location at Race and High Streets.
  • Ruffato Hall is certified LEED gold, and the Anderson Academic Commons is certified LEED Silver.

2014

  • The Sustainability Council and the Center for Sustainability update the University of Denver Sustainability Plan: 2014-2017
  • The PioGears Bike Shop opens in the basement of Nagel Hall, offering free tuneups.

2013

  • The Center for Sustainability launches a quarterly bike rental program.
  • The Zero Waste Hockey program begins.

2012

  • The University opens the Center for Sustainability and hires the first full-time Sustainability Coordinator.
  • The University earns Bicycle Friendly University status (bronze).

2011

2009

2008

  • The University Sustainability Council is created to advise University administration on making DU a more sustainable institution.
  • The University hires its first Energy Engineer to improve energy efficiency and reduce overall energy consumption.

2007

  • Chancellor Robert Coombe signs the American College and University President's Climate Commitment (ACUPCC).

2006

  • The Undergraduate Student Government introduces an annual "Green Fee" to fund the purchase of wind energy credits.

2003

  • The Sturm College of Law becomes LEED Gold certified.

1890

  • The University moves to its current location.

1864

  • The University of Denver is founded