Skip navigation

Graduate Tax Program

Law School at the University of Denver

Graduate Tax Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Current Students

How and when do I register for classes?

All students who are eligible to register will do so online using web registration.  You will receive an email once registration is open.


1.     Enter the registration website at:  The first time you access PioneerWeb, your password will be your birthdate in mmddyy format. You will be prompted to change your password at that time.

2.     Select the “MyWeb” tab and then click on “Student Services and Financial Aid".


1.     Click on “Registration”.

2.     Select “Term”. (Autumn Quarter 20XX)

3.     Select “Add/Drop Classes”.

4.     You will need the CRN for each course. Double check that you are using the right schedule, onsite or online.

5.     Once you add or drop a class, finalize your transactions by clicking “submit changes”. Your classes will be listed, and you are now registered!

6.     You may exit the registration area, and you may print your schedule from the web.


Click on the myWeb tab in webCentral. Go to Student & Financial Aid. Click on the link for Registration. Go to Student Schedule by Day and Time for your class schedule.

Is there a specified order in which classes must be taken?

There is not a strict order, but there are some guidelines. In general, full-time students who start the program in the fall and wish to complete the program in four quarters should take Individual Tax Problems, Property Transactions or Corporate Tax I, and Research & Writing in their first quarter. Partnership Taxation is one of the most difficult courses in the program and should be taken towards the end. Corporate Tax I is a prerequisite for Corporate Tax II and III (but II is not a prerequisite for III); Estate & Gift Taxation is a prerequisite for Estate Planning; and Corporate Tax I and III and Partnership Taxation are all prerequisites for Strategic Tax Planning. Otherwise, courses may be taken in any order. Click here for a chart that will help you plan your course of study. You may also contact the Graduate Legal Studies office to set up an appointment.

When are course materials ready?

If you’d like to purchase books/materials online, the website is:  Otherwise you can wait and buy them on campus at the main book store location; buying them online now and picking them up from the store  is recommended, as they will pull the books from the shelf when you purchase them, ensuring that you get the books you need.  Not all materials may be listed as some course packets are loaded to your course's Canvas page.

On the website, select Books/Textbooks and Course Materials.  Make sure you select “DU” as your program and not DU Law School .  Your department is TAX.  Classes can then be searched for by course number. 

All new GTP degree-seeking students are required to have a copy of the IRS Code for exams, as not all tests permit the use of computers and electronic resources.  The book store has listed the IRS Code and Treasury Regulations under TAX-1000.  You may choose to buy a copy of the Treasury Regulations or you can access those via Lexis or Westlaw. Lexis and Westlaw access to new students will be provided at orientation.

I need to change my exam date. What is the procedure?

Associate Director Cindy Goldberg will send out an e-mail each term inquiring whether any special accommodations or exam date changes are needed. Please e-mail Ms. Goldberg directly at [email protected] for additional information.

How do I get my grades?

Grades are available over the Internet at PioneerWeb. Your login is your student I.D. number (printed on your Pioneer I.D. card), and your PIN the first time you log in is your 6-digit birthday (MMDDYY). Please note that GTP grades are not posted under DU or SCOL deadlines.

Prospective Students

How do I know whether I'm an M.T. or LL.M. candidate?

If you will have earned a J.D. (law degree) before you begin the Graduate Tax Program, when you complete the program you will have an LL.M. (Master of Laws) in taxation. If you do not have a law degree, you will earn the M.T. (Master of Taxation). The same courses are required for both degrees.

A dual degree program is also available for University of Denver law students to earn a J.D. and LL.M. concurrently.  Please contact Graduate Legal Studies for more information.

What is the minimum GMAT score you will accept?

There is no minimum GMAT score cutoff. Admission decisions are based on a review of all application materials submitted. You may also qualify for a GMAT exception based on criteria described in the admissions section of the website.

I have (or will have) a J.D. Do I have to take the GMAT?

No, lawyers may submit an LSAT score instead of GMAT scores. Providing an LSAT score at the time of your application is not required. 

When is my application due?

We have a rolling admission policy and accept applications throughout the year for summer, fall, and winter quarters. If you plan to apply for financial aid or to live in on-campus housing, you should apply several months in advance if possible.

How do I translate between quarter hours and semester hours?

Three quarter hours are equivalent to two semester hours, because a quarter is approximately 10 weeks long while a semester is usually 15 weeks. Therefore, the 45 quarter hours required for the Graduate Tax Program are the same as 30 semester hours (one year of academic work).

What firms recruit on campus?

All the Big Four accounting firms, as well as selected local firms, come to campus to recruit our students and alumni.Those who do not find jobs during the fall recruitment activities or who wish to work for law firms receive additional job search assistance. The firms that interviewed Graduate Tax students on campus in the fall of 2016 included:

Anton Collins Mitchell
Brock & Company
Crowe Horwath
Eide Bailly
Ernst & Young
First Data
Grant Thornton
Rubin Brown

How much is tuition?

Tuition for the 2016-2017 academic year is $1258/credit hour. Total program requirements for graduation are 45 quarter credits.

What financial aid is available?

Students who participated in the Deloitte Tax Case Study Competition as undergraduates and those who are members of Beta Alpha Psi are invited to apply for scholarships to the Graduate Tax Program. The deadline for application is March 1st. Scholarships for continuing students (not available for the student's first quarter) are described here. Students should apply no later than two weeks before the quarter starts.

Please click here for more information on federal loans and scholarships. 
I am a law student at the University of Denver. Can I get a dual degree?

Yes, a J.D./LL.M. dual degree program has recently been approved. Fifteen quarter hours (10 semester hours) of approved course work in the Graduate Tax Program are accepted toward the 90 semester hours required for the J.D. degree. For more information, click here.

What hotel accommodations are nearby?

Hyatt Denver (303-782-9300), the LaQuinta Inn Cherry Creek (303-758-8886), and the Fairfield Inn (303-691-2223) are within five minutes of campus. Please call them directly for reservations.

Where can I get information about housing?

You can find on-campus housing information on the Housing and Residential Education website. Off-campus housing near the campus may be less expensive and of better quality than the on-campus housing available for graduate students. 

Do I need a laptop computer?

A laptop computer is not required for on campus students. However, each seat in the classrooms is wired for power and Internet access, and wireless connections to the Internet are available with the purchase of an integrated wireless network card for your laptop.

Online Students

Do I have to watch each class lecture live, at the same time it is taught in Denver?

No. You may watch the lectures live or later, on ­demand. Watching later gives you more control over the recording playback, such as pause and rewind. You should view the lectures within a few days of when each class was taught, though, because quizzes and homework assignments tied to the lectures are due approximately once each week.

How will I take my exams?

In most courses, the majority of your grade is based on a single exam at the end of the quarter, which is usually about three hours in length. You will arrange for a proctor in your local community to administer your test on the same day the exam is scheduled in Denver, and the proctor will return it to us by FedEx to be graded. Possible sources for proctors include the testing center at a local university, a public or university library, or a commercial educational company such as Kaplan or Sylvan. Your proctor arrangements must be approved in advance, and you are responsible for any fees.

What courses are offered online?

All required courses and many elective courses are available online, in the same quarter as they are taught live in Denver (see the Annual Course Schedule). For online offerings in a specific quarter, see the Quarterly Class Schedules.


If you have questions that are not answered on this website, please send us an e-mail or call 303-871-6249.