Skip navigation

Student Life

Veteran Services

Veterans Affairs

The University of Denver values the unique contributions veterans and active-duty service members bring to our campus community. We provide support throughout the process of exploring your educational opportunities at the University, from admission through graduation, and as you pursue your career.

Veteran Services


The Veteran Services staff is your primary point of contact for any military- or veteran-related issues, concerns, or questions you may have. We're located in the Driscoll South building, room 3, directly below the bookstore and next to the Pioneer ID Card office.

Services Offered

  • Comprehensive GI Bill and Military Assistance Counseling for current and incoming students

  • Connection  to on-campus and off-campus resources for veterans and their families

  • Transition and student engagement assistance

  • Professional development 

  • Employment search assistance

Make an appointment today!

Schedule an in person appointment.

Schedule a phone appointment.

Post 9/11 Gi Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Effective August 1, 2014, the tuition and fees are capped at $20,235 annually. The yellow ribbon program is available at University of Denver for an unlimited number of yellow ribbon eligible veterans at a cap of $2,500 annually. Chapter 33 students will receive a monthly housing allowance based on the basic allowance for housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. The veteran also receives an annual book and supplies stipend of $1000 based on enrollment.

For more information go to the GI Bill website.

GI Bill Applications

In order to use your VA benefits for the first time you must submit an application directly to the VA. This can be done online at the VONAPP website.

You will then need to complete the Application for Veteran Education Benefits here at DU. This university form only needs to be submitted once and will solely be used here at DU for GI Bill certification purposes. 

Once you receive your Certificate of Eligibility please submit this to our office so that we can better anticipate your needs based on your benefit levels and eligibility timeframes.

Statement of Understanding

You are responsible for notifying the School Certifying Official at the University of Denver (Michelle Hanson, 303-871-4878, email) within 72 hours if any of the following changes are made:

  • Increase or decrease in hours
  • Withdrawal from class
  • Complete withdrawal from the University
  • Change of Address
  • Incompletes received instead of grades

A reduction in your course load may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits and a debt to the VA. You will be responsible for paying back any and all debts to the Veteran's Administration if an overpayment is made.

Other Financial Support Options

To be considered for other financial support, domestic applicants/students should apply early and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline. Information about financial aid can be found on the Office of Financial Aid website. Some graduate programs provide competitive awards in the form of fellowships and/or assistantships. Graduate student should contact your academic program for more information.