Skip navigation

Student Life

Health & Counseling Center

hcc ritchie center

How to Report

Reporting a sexual assault, relationship violence or stalking can be daunting, especially if you don't know the outcomes or processes involved. This page is designed to assist you in making the right choice, and to help you understand what may happen if you choose to report to a University of Denver official. This applies to whether you have experienced violence, a friend of yours has experienced violence or if someone you know is perpetrating and you are unsure what to do next.

For further advice and information please contact Gillian Kaag, Program Director for the Center for Advocacy Prevention and Empowerment, at 303-871-3853 or

A Note on Confidentiality

The Center for Advocacy, Prevention, and Empowerment, the DU Counseling Center, the DU Ombuds Office and the DU Chaplain can and will maintain confidentiality.

Confidentiality means that your personal information will be protected and will not be disclosed to others without your permission.
Limits of confidentiality exist when:

  • Clear and substantial risk of physical danger to self or others exists. This may include life-threatening situations or where specific others are endangered by perpetrator (e.g., threats).
  • Required by law (e.g. child abuse reporting statute) or court ordered. In this case, efforts are made to protect all sensitive information.

Privacy means that your personal information and conversations are kept as private as possible and information is only shared with administrators on a need-to-know basis. In planning any response, the wishes of the person are given full consideration.

If you choose to disclose or report a sexual assault, stalking or relationship violence, the following things may happen:

  • If you disclose or report a sexual assault, stalking or relationship violence to CAPE, the Health and Counseling Center (HCC), DU's Ombuds, or DU's Chaplain, these resources are confidential and the information you share will not be disclosed without your permission.
  • CAPE provides a confidential reporting option whereby, under federal statue, CAPE informs the University of the number of gender-based violence incidents that occur on University property. This report is in aggregate form and does not include any details that could identify a survivor.
  • Campus Safety is a private resource that can take an official report 24/7 for the University. If Campus Safety is informed of an incident of sexual misconduct or gender-based violence, they will forward their report to the Title IX Office for an investigation.

If a perceived ongoing threat to the University community occurs, then a crime alert will be posted and emailed to the entire campus community. Other forms of communication may also be utilized. Every effort will be made in this circumstance to keep the survivor's identity confidential.

  • You can make an official report to the Title IX Office during business hours. Or, the Title IX Office may receive a report from Campus Safety or another University official. The Title IX Office can offer privacy.

When the Title IX Office is notified of an incident of sexual assault, stalking/harassment, or relationship violence, the Title IX Coordinator will contact the impacted party and invite him or her to have a conversation as part of their investigation process.

During this interview with the Title IX Coordinator, you are allowed to have one support person present with you, but this person cannot speak on your behalf. During the Title IX investigation, the Title IX Coordinator also may interview witnesses who have information about the concerns raised.

Following the Title IX investigation, the Title IX Coordinator produces a report of findings that is forwarded to the Student Conduct Office (if a student is involved) and/or the Human Resources Department (if an employee is involved). The Student Conduct Office is a private resource and is responsible for assigning outcomes (disciplinary actions) for Honor Code violations. If the survivor so chooses, he or she can be informed about the judicial process at the University of Denver and his or her rights during the process. Regardless of whether criminal action is taken, a student found responsible for an Honor Code violation by a Conduct Review Board will have action taken against him or her, up to and including dismissal.

  • The Program Director for CAPE and/or Campus Safety can assist you in contacting the Denver Police Department (DPD) if desired. Contacting a University official does not then obligate the reporting person to report the incident to Denver Police if he or she does not want to. Although a report of a sexual assault in progress may result in the immediate request for DPD assistance.
  • The CAPE Program Director and/or Campus Safety can assist the survivor in getting medical help, including a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) exam. If the survivor chooses to have a SANE exam completed, the hospital will contact DPD. Even when DPD is called, the survivor still retains the right not to file an official report. The presence of a DPD officer does not in any way obligate or require the survivor to make a report. If evidence is collected in a SANE exam, the survivor has up to 2 years to make a decision about whether she/he wishes to file an official report.