Skip navigation
International Student and Scholar Services

Preparing for Your Arrival


You should have access to enough money to cover your expenses during your stay in the United States. The University is unable to provide financial support to students who do not have sufficient funds to meet their educational and living expenses. We strongly recommend against relying on on-campus employment to meet your living expenses. You should also not rely on obtaining employment or financial aid to compensate for any deficiency in your funding.

Information on your estimated expenses can be found at the Office of Financial Aid.

Paying Your Student Account Bill

Tuition payments are due each quarter following registration. To learn more about payment options, please visit the Bursar's Office Payment Types page.


If you have been awarded an on-campus assistantship, you should still arrange for access to enough money to cover your initial expenses after arriving in the United States. It may be several weeks after you begin your assistantship that you receive your first paycheck.


Some scholarships are available for international students through your academic department. There are also some private organizations that will offer scholarships for international students. This website has a list of different scholarships for students. 


In general, international students are limited in the types of employment they can engage in. F-1 and J-1 students may work part-time on campus during the academic year, and full-time during vacation periods. On-campus employment is limited, and many students who would like to work on-campus are unfortunately not able to do so.

You may only work off-campus with authorization from International Student and Scholar Services or United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Unauthorized off-campus employment is a serious violation of your immigration status. Please speak to an international student advisor before accepting any off-campus employment opportunity.

Financial Aid

International students are generally ineligible for federal and state financial aid. Graduate students may apply for graduate teaching and research assistantships through their academic department. Assistantships are limited and highly competitive. For more information about assistantship opportunities, please contact your academic department.