Skip navigation

Student Life

Veterans Services

veteran services banner

Veteran Services

GI Bill® & Scholarships

GI Bill ®

The GI Bill is a vital component of our nation’s veteran transition program. The University of Denver provides both the resources necessary to understand the different funding options and full counseling on the GI Bill works with other programs. See the information below and contact us if you have any questions.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at


The VA has posted its new annual tuition & fees cap for the 2021-2022 academic year.  The new limit is $26,042.81.  In addition to the annual cap, DU participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program to help cover tuition costs.

For FY 2021-22, eligible Post 9/11 GI Bill users pursuing their bachelors degree or their graduate degrees at Daniels College of Business, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, the Graduate School of Social Work, Graduate School of Professional Psychology, and  University College will offer those students unlimited Yellow Ribbon funding. This means students pursuing their undergraduate degree or graduate degree at one of the listed graduate schools will be fully funded for the cost of tuition.

For all other graduate programs DU has elected to contribute up to $5,000 to eligible students in Yellow Ribbon Program.  The VA will then match that contribution, dollar-for-dollar, until the combined Yellow Ribbon contribution is $10,000 per academic year.

The exception to this is  Morgridge College of Education who are each contributing an additional $500 dollars. This means eligible students at MCE will receive $11,000 in funding above the $26,042.81 already offered by the VA.

Please note, all GI Bill eligibility decisions are made by the US Department of Veterans Affairs.


Go to the VA's online GI Bill Application to activate your benefits.  Both active duty service-members and veterans can apply for educational benefits at any time.


The Post 9/11 GI Bill has a FY 2021/22 annual tuition and fees payment cap of $25,162.14 per academic year. This is prorated based on your level of eligibility. We encourage every prospective student to apply for Federal and University financial aid programs in order decide which program is best for you with all the information available.


We require the DU Application for Veterans Benefits in order to send your enrollment information to the VA for payment. Please submit this form along with a copy of your VA Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) from VA to


You are responsible for notifying the School Certifying Official at the University of Denver (303-871-5350, email) within 72 hours if any of the following changes are made:

  • Increase or decrease in hours
  • Withdrawal from class
  • Complete withdrawal from the university
  • Change of address
  • Incompletes received instead of grades

A reduction in your course load may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits and a debt to the VA. You will be responsible for paying back any and all debts to the Veteran's Administration if an overpayment is made.


Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill program are now able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children. For more information, please visit


The scholarship search process should include looking into school based programs, general outside scholarships, and specific veteran/military programs and awards. Follow the guidance below, but always look to expand the potential places to submit your application. 

Create a file with letters, essays and an academic resume

The information you submit for college admissions, job searches and the like is often the same information requested in the scholarship application process. Keeping a record of these as you create them can make the scholarship process much easier to navigate.

Ensure you explore University of Denver scholarship programs

Search the scholarships at The University of Denver by going to the Office of Financial Aid. Many of our students receive scholarships that help pay for additional expense above and beyond the GI Bill.

Conduct general scholarship searches

The scholarship search process can be as broad or narrow as you make it. The general University of Denver scholarship search engine can help get you started, but do not forget to use Google as well. We encourage you to use the same collection of letters, essays and your resume created above to make your search and application process as streamlined as possible.

Search for Military/Veteran specific awards

There are many awards specifically created for military personnel, veterans and their families. Utilize search tools such as's Scholarship Finder and foundations such as the Pat Tillman Foundation to start the process. You may also arrange an appointment to review hard copy scholarship information in my office.