GI Bill® Military Education Benefits

The GI Bill® has been helping to cover the cost of education for veterans and their family members since 1944. If you'd like to use your GI Bill® benefits at the University of Denver, the Office of the Registrar is here to help. Follow the instructions below to get started.

Setting Up Benefits at the VA

If you have never used your education benefits before, you'll first need to apply with the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). If you have used your benefits in a prior DU program or at another school, you'll need to submit a change request (VA Form 22-1995). The VA may also allow you to transfer benefits to a qualified family member, who must then apply to use them. Following submission of an application or change request, the VA will mail you a certificate of eligibility, usually within four to six weeks. The US Department of Veterans Affairs is responsible for all eligibility decisions.

Setting Up Benefits at DU

After gaining eligibility approval from the VA, you will need to submit copies of two certification documents to — first, either your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or your Statement of Benefits (from, and second, a completed copy of the Intent to Use Veteran Benefits Information Sheet, including your full Social Security number, the term you intend to start using your benefits and your anticipated date of graduation. The VA File number is for Chapter 35 dependents only, and matches the Social Security number of the service member who earned the benefit.


Once all your documentation is on file at DU and you have registered for classes, we will begin the two-step certification process. This typically occurs about 30 days prior to the start of the term.

First, we certify your number of registered credit hours with the VA prior to the start of the term. Second, we certify your tuition and fees three weeks after the start of the term. You will receive an automated notification from the VA system when each certification is submitted. It will be sent to the email address listed on your Intent form.

You will be certified for all terms you are registered for between your start term and the graduation term that you listed on your Intent form. If your graduation term changes or you do not want to be certified for a particular term, notify as soon as possible. Please note that you must notify at the time of registration if you do not want to be certified. Once the VA has made payments, they will not terminate a certification and create debt simply to conserve benefits.

Understanding Your Benefits

The VA offers benefits in the form of Chapters. Each one is unique and applies to a specific population. If you are unsure of what program you qualify for, please reach out to the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

For more information on calculating your benefits, please visit the GI Bill® Comparison Tool/Calculate Your Benefits website.

Chapter 33: Post-9/11 or Forever GI Bill®

This is the most widely used program for veterans and their families.

DU is a private school and the VA caps the tuition benefit each year. After you have reached this cap, you will be responsible for any remaining charges for the academic year, unless you qualify for Yellow Ribbon funds. The cap includes tuition costs and applicable fees.

  • The Tuition Cap for the 2023-2024 academic year is $27,120.05 (100% eligibility rate)
  • Students whose eligibility rate is less than 100% are subject to tuition caps based on their percentage and are required to pay the remaining portion of their tuition and fees each quarter. Once the student hits their tuition cap, they are responsible for all tuition and fees for the remainder of the academic year. Caps for less than 100% eligibility rates for the 2023-2024 academic year are as follows:
    • 90% eligibility rate = $24,408.05
    • 80% eligibility rate = $21,696.04
    • 70% eligibility rate = $18,984.04
    • 60% eligibility rate = $16,272.03
    • 50% eligibility rate = $13,560.03

The VA requires that all tuition-based funding, such as private scholarships, institutional scholarships, grants, federal tuition assistance, and employer assistance be deducted before billing them for the final tuition and fees each quarter. This means that any aid mentioned above cannot be used to bridge the gap between the student’s charges and what the VA pays. Students with less than 100% eligibility will have an out-of-pocket balance due each quarter.

The VA will not pay for student housing, meal plans, parking, travel, or experiential learning fees, nor any other fees not charged to every student.

  • Yellow Ribbon

    To be eligible for Yellow Ribbon, you must:

    • Use Chapter 33 benefits and have benefits available
    • Have 100% eligibility

    If you are eligible, your benefits will roll into Yellow Ribbon funding automatically once you reach the tuition cap. There is no need to apply to use this benefit.

    Yellow Ribbon Limits

    All undergraduate students eligible for Yellow Ribbon are eligible for unlimited funding. The VA will pay 50% of your remaining costs and DU will cover the remaining 50%.

    Students in the graduate programs have variable Yellow Ribbon funding granted from the graduate unit.

    Students in Daniels College of Business, Graduate School of Social Work, Sturm College of Law, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University College and the Graduate School of Professional Psychology are eligible for unlimited Yellow Ribbon funding.

    Students at Morgridge College of Education are eligible for a total of $11,000 in Yellow Ribbon funding.

    All other graduate students are eligible for $10,000 in Yellow Ribbon funding.

  • Monthly Housing Allowance

    Students using Chapter 33 benefits are eligible for a monthly housing allowance. This benefit is always paid in arrears. You can expect your first housing check the first week of the month following the start of the term.

    The funding is based on the following:

    1. Enrollment Status: According to VA policy, you must be registered for more than half time to qualify for housing. If you are registered for less than full time but more than half time, your housing rate will be prorated to a percentage equal to your enrollment. To maximize your housing benefits, we recommend full time registration each term.
      • Undergraduate registration is considered full time at 12 credits hours.
      • Graduate registration is considered full time at 8 credit hours.
    2. Dates of Enrollment: The VA will only pay for dates you are in class. For example, if your term starts on September 12th, the VA will begin paying housing on the 12th, and you will receive a prorated check for the month.
    3. Method of instruction: The VA adjusts its housing allowance based on where you take courses.
      • Online only courses qualify for the national average housing rate.
      • Classroom, hybrid courses, internships, externships and independent studies qualify for the housing rate based on DU's zip code.
    4. Location: The majority of our courses are taught at the main campus. Cohorts at a branch campus may have a different rate.

    The Monthly Housing Allowance is distributed by the VA. If you have questions about payment, call them at 1-888-442-4551.

  • Book Voucher

    Students are eligible for a $1000 book stipend each year (100% eligibility rate). Funds are disbursed after the start of the term. Plan to pay for books up front and be reimbursed when the VA makes its payment. Voucher amounts are prorated each term based on your number of credits. Once you reach the cap, there will be no more book stipends until the next year. The current calculation for books is approximately $41 per credit hour.

    The Book Voucher is managed and distributed by the VA. If you have questions about payment, call them at 1-888-442-4551.

Other Chapters

Statement of Understanding

When using veteran benefits and being certified, you agree to contact the School Certifying Official at within 72 hours if you make any of the following changes:

  • Increase or decrease in enrollment
  • Withdrawal from class
  • Withdrawal from the University
  • Change in address
  • Change of program
  • Receive a No Pass grade or an Incomplete

A reduction in your course load may result in a retroactive reduction in benefits and a debt to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). You will be responsible for paying back any and all debts to the VA if an overpayment is made.

The VA is ultimately responsible for determining payments for tuition, fees, monthly housing allowance and book stipends. These payments are dependent on which chapter you use, the dates of registration and/or enrollment, and enrollment status of full or half time.

University of Denver Institution Policy on Recruiting, Marketing, and Advertising

The University of Denver believes in supporting and protecting our students through fair and equitable practices, which is inclusive of our military and veteran students. We abide by all federal laws, including the Higher Education Act (H.E.A) for Title IV funding, and the principles of the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC). The University of Denver follows and upholds the Department of Veterans Affairs Principles of Excellence, including the DoD's policies on tuition assistance.

View the full policy at DU Policy on Recruiting, Marketing and Advertising.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (Section 103)

In accordance with Title 38 U.S. Code 3679(e), the University of Denver will not penalize or limit the participation of students covered under the Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® or Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment program while awaiting the payment of tuition and fees by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

The University will not charge late fees, deny access to institutional facilities, require students to take additional funding or drop them from classes for non-payment. This applies to all covered students using Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® or Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment program.

To be considered a covered individual, the University of Denver will require the following documentation by the first payment deadline, no later than the first day of the start of the term:

  1. Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of benefits
  2. VA Form 28-1905 or authorization from the counselor

Active Military Tuition Assistance

All active-duty service members using tuition assistance from the military should first speak to their Educational Services Officer (ES) or educational counselor within their military service prior to enrolling as a student at the University of Denver. If you have authorizations to submit for payment, please send them to and

Contact Information

School Certifying Officials: Kristina Nordwall and Tracey Hart, 303-871-4878.
For the fastest response, please email:

Additional Support

Our dynamic staff in the Office of Veterans & Military Resources will be happy to answer all of your questions about getting started with benefits, but are also available to support you as a student veteran, active duty service member/spouse, reservist, dependent or ROTC. You can view their website at or email

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official VA website.