After you have been admitted to the University of Denver, you will need to take these steps to obtain an F-1 Student Visa (or DS-2019 for a J-1 visa).
1. Obtain your I-20 or DS-2019 from the University of Denver.
- Fill out the Financial Verification Form and send original bank documents. Students requesting an I-20 to apply for an F-1 Student Visa must show that enough money is available to pay for at least the first year of their degree program as well as the estimated living expenses for any dependents. It is assumed that this amount will be available for each additional year of study. Students requesting a DS-2019 to apply for a J-1 Visa must show that enough money is available to pay for the duration of their degree program as well as the estimated living expenses for any dependents. IF you have questions regarding the requirements for J-1 Visas, please contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill out the Supplement for International Applicants to make sure we have all the identification information to issue your complete and correct I-20.
- If you are already studying at a different university in the United States on an F-1 Student Visa, fill out the Transfer Eligibility Form to complete your transfer to the University of Denver.
- Undergraduate Students: Confirm your intention to enroll at the University of Denver by submitting the International Student Admission Response Form/Deposit Form and paying your deposit. Graduate Students: Please refer to your admission letter for instructions on confirming your enrollment at DU.
- If you have been admitted with an English condition, reserve your place at the English Language Center with the Statement of Understanding. The ELC Application and the $75 application fee can be submitted online through your webCentral account.
2. Pay the SEVIS fee.
This fee must be paid at least three days before your visa interview in U.S. dollars by credit card online, by check or bank draft drawn on a U.S. bank, or by Western Union Quick Pay. Go to www.fmjfee.com, and follow these instructions:
- Click on "Proceed to I-901 Form & Payment."
- Scroll to the bottom, and select I-20 and OK.
- Fill out the next page with your personal information.
- The form requires the "School Code," DU's school code is DEN 214F 00135 000.
- The form requires the SEVIS Identification Number on your I-20. This number is in the upper right-hand corner of the I-20 and begins with an N and has 10 digits.
- Check that the information is correct on the next page.
- Choose first-class mail or expedited delivery. The credit card form has a place for the cardholder's address. You do not need to fill this in; it is not a required field.
- PRINT AT LEAST 2 COPIES OF THE RECEIPT!
3. Apply for your visa.
All visa applicants are required to be interviewed. You must make an appointment with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an in-person interview as early as possible. Be prepared for the interview. The officer is required to consider you as a person who intends to stay permanently in the United States. It is your responsibility to show that you intend to return to your country. You must show that you have strong ties to your country and will return after completing your DU studies. Take as much documentation as you can - family connections, property, jobs, monetary ties, and so on. The officer will only have a few minutes to make a decision regarding your application. He or she may also ask why you want to study in the United States. Which subject? Why did you choose the University of Denver? Be sure to take the following information with you:
- Passport. In order to enter the United States on a student visa, you must have a passport valid for at least 6 months past the expiration date on the I-20.
- Financial documents. You will need to prove to the visa officer that you have enough money available to pay for at least the first year of your degree program. The visa officer may ask you how you intend to pay for the rest of your education and expenses, too.
- Admission letter
- I-20 form
- Copies of all educational documents you presented to the University of Denver in order to be admitted.