Is your computer infested with spyware?
It could be if:
- Your applications are running slow.
- Some programs won’t open.
- Unwanted programs are eating up system resources.
- Your Internet Explorer is being hijacked or redirected.
- You can’t access secure sites.
- There are pop-ups everywhere.
- You can’t connect to the Internet at all.
- The mouse jumps around the screen.
- You can’t browse your hard drive.
- Your startup and shutdown times are miserably slow.
- Windows will not shut down properly.
- Characters are scrambled.
Protect your machine with these guidelines:
Do NOT install free file sharing (P2P) programs such as Kazaa, Limewire, Bearshare or iMesh.
These programs are hosts for spyware – they open up internet ports and backdoor connections that allow other malicious applications to be installed on your system without your knowledge. You are also likely to download viruses from these networks.
Do NOT install other freeware applications such as WeatherBug, Viewpoint Media Player, WildTangent, GoZilla or any Search Bars.
These programs are also hosts for other malicious spyware programs.
Do NOT click “OK” or “YES” on any pop-up windows or alert messages.
Do NOT open email from unknown users or anonymous instant messages directing you to a site. Delete these without opening.
These windows will appear to be officially from Microsoft or about a serious system warning, but they are just adware messages or malicious applications that will be installed upon clicking “OK”.
Close all pop-up windows immediately, and use a pop-up blocker on your browser.
A pop-up blocker for IE is included with service pack 2. Using a browser other than IE, like Firefox or Opera, will alleviate many pop-up and spyware problems. Some third party pop-up blockers for IE can actually be spyware! Use Windows service pack 2 pop-up blocker first.
DO install all Windows Updates, and schedule automatic updates daily.
Upates protect your computer from viruses and spyware.
DO install 1) Anti-Virus and spyware removal software like 2) Ad-Aware, OR 3) Spybot Search and Destroy.
These programs search your hard drive and clean unwanted programs or files related to spyware applications.