The 2016 Pioneer Prep Leadership Institute application is now closed. We will be in touch with applicants at the beginning of June.
The individual Pioneer Prep Leadership Institutes for Black and Latino/a students are designed for college-focused high school sophomores and juniors to have a dynamic learning opportunity on the University of Denver campus.
During Pioneer Prep, participants will be introduced to various topics focused on college access, navigating the college search and application process, career planning, leadership development and cultural awareness through a series of speakers and activities. Attendees will gain valuable insight on what it is like to live and attend classes on a private college campus. In addition, students will have the opportunity to make new friends locally and nationally who are like-minded students passionate about pursuing their educational goals.
We typically receive over 100 applications for 50 spaces so please be aware of the academic selectivity of the program.
Cost of Pioneer Prep Program:
• No application fee
• First-time attendees pay $60 to confirm their attendance; returning attendees pay $40
• Room & board, curriculum, and entertainment are provided at no additional cost
This is an exciting and dynamic learning opportunity for students who are excelling leaders in their school or communities to build greater awareness regarding their future educational endeavors. We encourage students who are highly motivated and dedicated to making an impact in their communities to apply to the Pioneer Prep Leadership Institutes!
Benefits of Pioneer Prep:
- Application Fee Waiver in the amount of $65 if you choose to apply for admission to DU
- If admitted, and depending on financial need, Pioneer Prep participants will be considered for a DU Pathways Scholarship worth up to $7500 a year renewable for four years
- Dynamic on campus experience promoting college access, leadership and cultural identity
- Quarterly activities on campus to reconnect with DU staff and other Pioneer Prep students
For students applying from outside of Colorado, DU will provide five travel stipends to cover round-trip air fare and shuttle service to and from the DIA airport. Students who are not selected for a travel stipend, but are admitted into Pioneer Prep, are still welcome to attend at their own travel expense. To be considered for a travel stipend, please complete the travel stipend section of the application.
Miriam Tapia Salinas, Executive Director for Diversity Enrollment- Miriam.Tapia@du.edu 303.871.3312
Black & African American Community Pioneer Prep:
Wahhab Carter, Associate Director for Diversity Enrollment- Wahhab.Carter@du.edu 303.871.3963