The Chester M Arboretum's living collections database, BG-BASE, is online and can be searched by entering one or more words of a scientific or common plant name (omit authorities, cultivar indicators, or intraspecific epithets(s)):
- Entries can be either upper or lower case.
- Use * or ] as a wildcard character.
- For example, to search for all values starting with Magnolia, enter Magnolia* or Magnolia]
- Multiple search criteria should be separated by a comma.
- For example, to look up both Sequoiadendron giganteum (Lindl.) Buchholz and Rhododendron prunifolium (Small) Millais enter Sequoiadendron giganteum, Rhododendron prunifolium.
Living accessions can be located on the grounds by referencing a grid number. For instance, a Rocky Mountain Juniper (Juniperus scopulorum) specimen is located in grid number B8A016. This location can be matched to an area on the grounds using this AutoCad grid map.
Information about our current inventory (as of 10/21/14) is available for free here (pdf). It lists alphabetically, by both genus and species, the 2,167 individual trees that were accessioned in the collection at that time.