true peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice. -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
about us contact us admissions graduate degreee program center for research & practice faculty resources




Prospective Student FAQ's



Do you accept the LSAT?

The Conflict Resolution program is unable to accept LSAT scores at this time.  Official LSAT scores can only be sent to Law Schools, which makes it impossible for us to obtain them.  The ONLY exception is for a current DU Sturm Law School student, as the University already has access to those official scores.


Is your program included in the Peace Corp Fellows or Peace Corp International Programs?

No, the Conflict Resolution Program is not included in the Peace Corps programs.


How many credits are required when pursuing a FlexDual degree with another program?

The FlexDual structure gives a reduction of required credits for each degree.  Conflict Resolution is reduced from 62 to 50 credit hours.  Generally, 90 credit degree programs are reduced to 75 credits, but this may vary depending on the specific program. 


Is it possible to have the GRE requirement waived for my application?

Occasionally the requirement for new GRE scores can be waived, but only if the applicant can provide them from a previous graduate program.


How many times can I take the GRE?

If you are not happy with your GRE results, we suggest that you retake the exam.  We consider the highest scores, whether you take the exam one time or the maximum three times.  The university receives a record of the full set of scores for every time they are taken, and we use the highest scores for the admission process.

What qualifies as a writing sample?

The writing sample is your Personal Statement, which is required as a part of the application.


What is the actual cost of tuition for the Conflict Resolution program?

The actual cost can vary depending on the classes taken.  There are classes available from the University of Denver and from the University College through the University of Denver.  Each has a separate tuition structure, and current tuition rates can be found on our website.  University College classes are less expensive.  Curriculum requirements for the Conflict Resolution degree allow a student to take some classes at the University College, but the majority are taken through the University of Denver.  Because of the difference in tuition structure, the total cost of attendance can vary.


How many courses are offered online?

There may be a few courses offered online through the University College, however we are of the opinion that Conflict Resolution is best learned through interaction with people.  Because of this, the majority of the required course work, those courses through the University of Denver, are classroom based and are not offered online.


Does your program offer scholarships?

All applications for the Conflict Resolution program will be considered for in the pool for scholarships.  These include admissions funds and graduate research assistantships. 


I already have a degree from the University of Denver; do I need to retake my entrance exams (GRE, GMAT)?

If the exams were taken within the last 5 years, you do not need to retake them.


Is it possible to complete the Conflict Resolution degree through part-time schedules?

Many of our students attend part time.  It is possible to work a full 40 week and take 1 class per quarter, or work 20-30 hours and enroll in 2 classes each quarter.  The schedules are somewhat flexible.


How long does it take to complete the Conflict Resolution Program?

For a full time student, the M.A. in Conflict Resolution can be completed in one year, September start, August graduation.  This would be full time for three quarters (18 credits for Fall, Winter and Spring) plus 8 credits for Summer. 


Does the Conflict Resolution Program offer Teaching Assistantships?

No, we only offer a few Graduate Research Assistantships every year.


I am a current student enrolled in a different DU degree program, what would be required to obtain a dual degree M.A. in Conflict Resolution?

This varies based upon the student and the degree program.  If you would like to seek admission to the Conflict Resolution program for a FlexDual M.A. degree, please set up a personal appointment with the Conflict Resolution degree director, Dr. Karen Feste, to discuss the possibilities. 


Does the Conflict Resolution Program accept Transfer Credits?

Transfer credit is applicable only when recommended by the college, school, department or institute and approved by the appropriate authority.  Course work and credit hours already applied toward a graduate degree received from DU or another institution cannot be accepted as transfer credit towards another graduate degree at the same level. 

Students may transfer up to 21 quarter hours (14 semester hours) of graduate credit to the University of Denver towards the M.A. in Conflict Resolution.  Only courses with letter grades “B” or better can be transferred, and courses taken on a pass/fail basis are not acceptable as transfers. 

When would be a good time for a campus visit?

The campus visit can be very helpful for a student in determining if the program and professors are a proper fit.  We suggest that the campus visit be scheduled after acceptance into the program.  This is often in the Spring quarter.


Is it possible to reapply if my application is not accepted?

Yes, we do allow potential students to reapply, however they cannot reapply for the same quarter. 




Return to top