I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there. -Mother Teresa
about us contact us admissions graduate degreee program center for research & practice faculty resources


Student Handbook M.A. Thesis Internships Careers Organizations DU Resources


University of Denver Resources

Associated Academic Programs

Alternative Dispute Resolution
International Studies
Social Work
Professional Psychology
Iliff School of Theology


Online Application
Graduate Financial Aid


Institutional Review Board
Office of Sponsored Programs


Office of Graduate Studies


General DU Information


Financial Aid

Scholarship awards are quite limited. Students are notified in their admission acceptance letter if a scholarship has been awarded. In addition, acceptance letters indicate to students if they are being considered for a graduate research assistantship. The program is small, and fellowship amounts are meager. We do hope this will change in the future as we are constantly searching for outside support for our students. Meanwhile, please be aware of the following opportunities to finance your education.

FAFSA. The first step in the financial aid process is to fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid which is available at www.fafsa.edu.gov. Visit the University of Denver's Financial Aid Office website at http://www/du.edu/finaid/gradapply.htm for instructions on how to complete the FAFSA. The FAFSA is necessary to be considered for loans, work study, Colorado Grants, or any other type of financial assistance. It is beneficial to complete the FAFSA even if you are not currently interested in financial assistance. Your financial situation may unexpectedly change and having the FAFSA on file will expedite any help you may need. After the Financial Aid Office receives the results from the FAFSA, you will receive a mailing with more information on your financial assistance options including subsidized, unsubsidized, and private loans. The FAFSA should be completed by mid-May at the latest for Fall admission. Students admitted for the Winter, Spring, or Summer quarters should complete the FAFSA immediately after acceptance.

Work Study. We have several work study positions which entail working in the Conflict Resolution Institute to assist the graduate program and also the center for research and practice. Check to find out if you are eligible for this award.

DU Employment. The University of Denver offers tuition benefits for full-time employees who have worked on the campus for at least six months, whereby an employee may be eligible for 5-9 free credits of tuition each academic term. Special conditions apply. Check the available positions listed under Employment on DU's main website, www.du.edu. You may want to visit the website continuously over the spring and summer months.

International students: Please note that international students are eligible for department scholarships and Graduate Research Assistantships only. Your admissions letter indicates if you have been granted either a scholarship or Graduate Research Assistantship.

The staff members of the Financial Aid Office in University Hall are the true experts on financial aid options and they would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Call 303-871-4020 for information.


You can purchase a parking permit online at www.parking.du.edu once Graduate Admissions has received your deposit. All students are required to purchase a parking permit and there are many options available.

Pioneer Card (Student ID)

You may obtain your Pioneer ID Card once you have registered for classes and up to 30 days before your admittance quarter begins. The Pioneer ID Card's Office is located in Driscoll Center, South. Bring a picture ID, student ID number, and your course schedule. Your first ID card is free. You can put money on your ID Card as a "flex account" so that you can use the card at campus eateries and library printers. The black machines that enable you to put money on the cards are located on the first floor of the library by the copy center and by the computer lab. Note that your DU ID Card automatically provides you with 300 free pages of printing. Go to www.du.edu/pioneercard for more information.


All DU course schedule information is available online. No hard copy class schedule exists. Go to www.du.edu. and click on Academics. There are links for the Course Catalog (all courses within a department with course descriptions) and for the Course Schedules (courses within a department by term offered). Once you have sent in your deposit, you will receive a mailing from Graduate Admissions that includes the date you can register for courses. Extensive registration information can be found at www.du.edu/registrar. New students may register before or during the Fall Con Res orientation session.

Tuition rates differ for traditional University of Denver courses and University College courses. Traditional DU courses taken to fulfill the Conflict Resolution degree are offered in various departments on campus such as CRES, COMN, MGMT, etc. At University College, students enroll in the COMM workshop on Mediation Training. University College courses used toward the Conflict Resolution Degree are less expensive than traditional DU courses. However, these courses cannot be used as part of the credits charged as a flat fee for students carrying between 12 through 18 credits at the University of Denver.

Visit http://www.du.edu/registrar/regbill/reg_tuitionfees.html# for extensive information on tuition fees.

In order to meet residency requirements at the University of Denver, all MA students must be registered a minimum of three quarters. A student who has already acquired the necessary credits to meet degree requirements (62 hours for the MA) but not yet met all curriculum requirements, for example a required internship or optional thesis, must register and pay a modest fee per year for Continuous Enrollment and a Pioneer card fee for university library and facilities privileges, and continued eligibility for financial aid and/or loan deferment. In accordance with university policy, a graduate student on regular status who has completed coursework and is working on a thesis or dissertation may continue loan eligibility for a designated period.

Failure to register means the student must ask for reinstatement--necessitating a review of the student's record and the possibility of a denial of the petition, and at the time of reinstatement the payment of all missed credit hours before re-enrollment can take place.

New Graduate Students: Advanced registration is now permitted. At the time of orientation (held before classes begin in September) students receive more information on registration times and procedures and specific advice on courses to take.

Continuing Graduate Students: Priority registration days are indicated about the middle of each quarter that allows students to register for classes in the forthcoming term.

Change of Registration: Changes in course registration are permitted. Add/Drop forms are available in the Conflict Resolution Graduate Studies Office. Check time limitations for dropping or adding classes—available on the DU website.

Late Registration and Late Payment: If the student has not completed registration or has not paid the tuition or arranged for deferral payment before the close of the scheduled registration period, a service charge is assessed. Check the DU website for further information.

Readmission and Registration: Students who interrupt a degree program by not registering for one or more quarters, with the exception of summer quarter, must apply for readmission. A readmit form can be obtained from the Graduate Admission Office. There is no fee for this application.

Courses for No Credit: A student may register for no credit (NC) in any course. Such courses count as full credit value in determining the total study load allowed. The tuition charge for no credit courses is the same as for credit courses, and the courses are listed on the student's permanent record. Courses taken on a no credit basis do not apply as part of the minimum credit hours requirements for any graduate degree. Students are admitted to courses for no credit only when space is available and with the permission of the instructor.

Auditing Courses: Auditing privileges are extended only to full time students who have the approval of the course instructor. No tuition is charged and no record of the course is made. Approval for auditing privileges is granted only after the formal registration period and only where space is available.

Withdrawal from a Course: If a student wishes to withdrawal from a course, it must be done the same quarter the student registered for the course. No retroactive withdrawal is possible.


Advanced degrees are not awarded automatically upon the completion of any required number of courses or hours of credit. The candidate's status is subject to review at any time. All degree candidates are expected to maintain at least a B (3.0) grade point average, which is necessary to graduate. A satisfactory quality of achievement with a grade average of B or better is required in graduate coursework accepted for the degree. Credits with a C are accepted, but no more than one-fourth of the hours accepted toward the degree may be a C grade.

The purpose of course grades is to provide an honest appraisal of a student's work; to communicate this appraisal clearly; and to enable professors to make plausible discriminations between performance levels of students.

An "A" signifies truly high quality work, an outstanding performance and superior achievement. In most classroom situations, it would be likely that only a minority of the class would reach this level.
A "B" signifies quite acceptable graduate level work, where a B+ constitutes a very
good achievement level and B is quite adequate, and B- is also acceptable.
A "C" signifies acceptable graduate work. Credit will be given.
A "D" or "F" signifies unacceptable graduate work. Credit will not be given.

The University of Denver employs the following grading system to calculate the Grade Point Average (GPA):
A = 4.0 C = 2.0
A = 3.7 C- = 1.7
B+ = 3.3 D+ = 1.3
B = 3.0 D = 1.0
B = 2.7 D- = 0.7
C+ = 2.3 F = 0.0

I Incomplete (for assignments in seminars and independent study not submitted to professor by the end of a standard term)
IP In Progress (for thesis, Ph.D. exam, dissertation credits only)
NC No Credit (for non-credit registration)
NR Not Reported (for grades not submitted to registrar by deadline)

Grades turned in by professors at the end of the quarter are final. Grades cannot be changed on the basis of additional work undertaken or completed after the grade report has been recorded, or the retaking of the course. A "Correction of Error in Grading" form, if a letter grade was incorrectly recorded by the professor, may be submitted, but this must take place in the quarter following the one in which the grade was given.

Whether a course is half-term (5 weeks) or full-term (10 weeks) the grades are not recorded until the end of the quarter, thus, a course offered for the first five weeks of the quarter will not be graded until the end of that quarter.

Incomplete Grades

An incomplete is given only when assignments required for the course have not been completed because of circumstances beyond the student's control. Granting an incomplete and finishing the course are arranged by agreement between the student and the instructor. An incomplete is not used to permit the retaking of examinations or the completion of additional work to enhance the quality of the student's performance.

An incomplete grade must be made up by the Wednesday of the fourth week of the next quarter that the student is in residence, unless the deadline is extended by the instructor. The course may be completed while the student is not enrolled. Only under special circumstances may an incomplete be made up more than one calendar year from the date it is recorded. Unchanged incompletes remain on the permanent record as part of hours attempted. An incomplete has the same effect on the grade point average as an F grade. By University policy, incompletes that appear on a student's record become Fs if not converted to a course completion grade after one calendar year.

To make up an incomplete, the student obtains a Change of Incomplete Form from the cashier and submits it to the instructor along with the work remaining to be finished. A service charge is paid when obtaining the Incomplete Form.

The University Registrar uses the following system to keep track of Incompletes. Once an "I" is recorded on a student's transcript, it remains there permanently, even after the coursework assignments are finished and the professor has submitted a final grade. University of Denver policy stipulates that all grades of "I" must be removed before a student is allowed to graduate. It does not matter how many credits have been achieved. Either the work must be completed or formal withdrawal has to be made before a student can be cleared for graduation.

Student Status

A student is either currently registered for credits at DU, or currently participating in the Continuous Enrollment and Pioneer card fee; and pursuing a degree within the time limits allotted for a degree, or working toward a degree beyond time limits under an explicit extension arrangement with the academic advisor or program director.

A non-student is someone who has been inactive for at least one year (no registration, no evidence of work progress), or where the time limits for a particular degree have expired and no extension is sought to continue work.

New Student: A first term registrant at DU or first term registrant student in a particular program.

Continuing Student: A previously registered student in a particular program.

Continuous Enrollment A student on CE must have completed all their coursework
Student: with the exception of Independent Research hours (4995) and be
pursuing academic work/research necessary to complete a degree.
CE is designed primarily for students who are working on a thesis or research paper/Capstone or an Internship.

Readmitted Student: A student who has not registered for the immediate three or more preceding quarters (excluding summer).

Good Standing Student: A student who has met scholastic requirements and all University financial and behavioral obligations.

Half Time Student: A student pursuing 4-7 quarter hours of course work or research credit in any academic term.

Full Time Student: A student pursuing eight quarter hours or more of course work or research credit in any academic term

Regular Status Student: A student unconditionally approved for graduate study, required for advancement to degree candidacy.

Provisional Status Student: A student admitted with deficient or incomplete credentials. Such status is changed once conditions governing this type of admission have been met.

Special Status Student: A student holding a baccalaureate degree, who does not intend to pursue a graduate degree program. No transcripts are required, nor is the student required to ay the application fee. In the event that a student subsequently wishes to undertake a degree program at the University of Denver, the application fee is required. Not more than 15 quarter hours of credit earned in the special status may be applied to the degree. Students holding special status must complete the Application for Graduate Admission and Special Status Registration form each quarter.

Probationary Status: Any regular graduate student with a GPA below 3.0 is under probation.
The student has one quarter to raise the grade average to the 3.0 minimum to continue.

Suspended Status: Any student who engages in sufficient academic or behavior misconduct may be suspended from the University, and not permitted to register during a specified period. A suspended student who wishes to re- enroll must apply to the Office of Admission. The university will not accept courses completed at another institution while the student is under suspension.

Termination: If a student maintains a GPA lower than 3.0 for two successive quarters (the first quarter not included), or when in the opinion of the student's advisor, and the
Program Director, the student is incapable of raising his/her GPA to 3.0 or finishing requirements for the M.A. degree, termination from the program will be recommended.

A graduate student who wishes to change to another degree program within DU must be terminated from the old program and admitted to the new program.

Leave of Absence: A student planning to be absent from the campus for a period of time and unable to continue work on the degree, should request a leave of absence—filling out the form which is available at the Office of Graduate studies, and submit it to the Program Director for approval.

Withdrawal: A student withdrawing from the University must complete a Drop/Add form, and
submit it to the Graduate Studies Office. Official withdrawal during the first six weeks of the quarter will result in grades of W for all courses. After the sixth week, grades of F will be recorded for all courses, unless the professors in charge authorize grades of W.

Code of Conduct

Graduate students are expected to conduct themselves, both within and outside the University, in a manner that will reflect favorably upon themselves and the University. The University reserves the right to deny admission to any applicant. If in the opinion of the University authorities the further association of the student is not conducive to the best interest of the student or of the University, severance from the University or the withholding of a degree will be handled in accordance with due process procedures.

The faculty endorses the honor principle and standard that intellectual and academic honesty is essential for study within the university. Students must honor this principle and know that to submit work not their own violates the spirit and purpose of the university and forfeit their right to continue study at the University of Denver.

Students caught cheating (on the basis of evidence submitted by a professor and analyzed by a designated committee) receive a failing grade for the course in which it occurred and are terminated from all degree programs.

Plagiarism occurs when one submits written work borrowing the ideas and phrasing of another author without acknowledging such usage by footnotes and quotation marks. A paper written entirely or in part by one author and submitted under the name of another also constitutes plagiarism. Examination cheating includes the use of unauthorized aids during the testing process. Constructing artificial data for a class project, thesis or dissertation through unacceptable methods is also considered cheating.

By enrolling in the Conflict Resolution program at the University of Denver, a student acknowledges an understanding and acceptance of the plagiarism policy of the school.


The University has adopted the following rules for a student who wishes to appeal an academic decision:

1. A graduate student will direct any appeal of an academic decision, within one year
of decision, first to the Chair of the department in which the issue arises or, if no
departmental unit exists, to the Director/Dean of the appropriate school or college. In
professional schools or colleges reporting directly to the Provost, the first level of
appeal, unless specified otherwise by the school or college, is to the Director/Dean.

2. The Head of the unit to which the initial appeal is made may propose consultative
procedures in a preliminary attempt to resolve the disputed issue.

3. Should those procedures not resolve the situation to the satisfaction of the student, the Head of the unit shall refer the matter to a standing committee or an ad hoc faculty/professional staff committee chaired by the Head or designate. Members of the committee may represent units or subunits other than the one from which the appeal is made. All review committees at all levels of appeal may, at their sole discretion, accept additional evidence or arguments from the student or from any other person. The appeals committee will normally furnish a decision to both parties within two weeks of its meeting.

4. Appeals on grades will be accepted at the first level only when based on problems of
process, and not simply differences in judgment or opinion concerning academic
performance. Decisions on grades at the first level of appeal are not subject to further

5. On issues other than grades, if the student believes that the initial process of appeal
resolution has not been satisfactory, the student may appeal in writing to the Provost.
The Provost may refer appeals to appropriate bodies or personnel for their
recommendation on specific issues. The Provost may refer an appeal to the Graduate
Council. If the issue is referred to the Graduate Council, its Chair shall appoint three
members of the Council as a Grievance Committee to hear the appeal case and shall
designate one of the committee members to serve as chair. The findings of anyone
called upon by the Provost shall be transmitted to the Provost as a recommendation,
usually within four weeks after the case has been referred to them.

6. The Provost is the final authority in the appeal matter, and final action by the
Provost should usually take place within three weeks after receipt of appropriate
recommendations. The Provost shall provide notice of the final decision to the student,
the Chair of any committee involved, and the Head of the unit from which the appeal

Confidentiality of Information

The University of Denver collects and retains data and information about students for designated periods of time for the express purpose of facilitating the students' educational development. The University recognizes the privacy rights of individuals in exerting control over what information about themselves may be disclosed and, at the same time, attempts to balance that right with the institution's need for information relevant to the fulfillment of its educational missions.

The University further recognizes its obligation to inform the students of their rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1978 (FERPA); to inform students of the existence and location of records as well as to define the purposes for which such information is obtained; to provide security for such materials; to permit students access to, disclosure of, and challenge to this information as herein described; and to discontinue such information when compelling reasons for its retention no longer exist.

No information from records, files and data directly related to student shall be disclosed by any means (including telephone) to individuals or agencies outside the University without the written consent of the student, except pursuant to lawful subpoena or court order or in the case of specifically designated educational and governmental officials as required by FERPA. Information contained in such records may be shared within the University by University officials with legitimate educational interest" in such information.


The student must file a formal application for graduation on-line six months prior to anticipated graduation. Failure to do so may delay graduation to a subsequent quarter. Apply only if all degree requirements will be finished before the graduation date. All hours of credit must be paid prior to graduation. The University will not certify students for graduation until they have met the minimum requirements for hours towards the degree. In some cases, students with transfer credits from institutions on a semester system have half credits (as when 3 semester credits transfer as 4.5 quarter credits). We do not "round up" credit hours. Students can obviously graduate with more hours than required, but cannot graduate with even a half credit less than required.

A student must fill out and submit the "Application for Graduation" form on-line available on the website: www.du.edu/grad/finish.html which further specifies the rules and regulations for graduation at the University of Denver. There is no charge for the initial graduation application. If necessary to reapply, a nominal fee will be charged each time.

Graduation Requirements: In addition to coursework, the requirements include an internship and practicum. A thesis is optional. The thesis must be graded and submitted to the Graduate Studies Office in final copy before the end of the quarter of expected graduation. The "Graduate Studies Schedule of Deadlines" lists precise dates by which to apply for graduation, complete the oral defense of the thesis, and submit required materials.

Commencement: Graduation ceremonies are held twice a year, in June and August. All graduating students are urged to attend. Students participating in commencement ceremonies are required to wear the appropriate academic regalia. Caps, gowns, and hoods may be rented.

Participating in commencement does not constitute official graduation. It is a celebration and has no academic or legal implications. The Commencement program lists the names of all graduation candidates who applied at the appropriate time to receive degrees at that specific ceremony. The appearance of a name in the program does not guarantee a student's graduation at that time unless all degree requirements have been completed.

Students who have not completed their degrees may request to participate in the Graduate Commencement ceremony only if the following parameters have been met: To "walk" in the spring ceremony, you must have filed for graduation within the required time frame; you must be a graduation candidate for the subsequent summer quarter; you must be within 5 credit hours of completing your degree, including resolving any incomplete grades; you must be registered for your final requirements in the summer interterm or in summer quarter; you must have completed all non-course degree requirements (e.g. internships, practicum) two weeks prior to the end of spring quarter; and if a thesis is required for your degree you must complete your defense within the first 6 weeks of the subsequent summer quarter. The defense date must be on file with the Office of Graduate Studies.

Career Services

The Career Centers at the Korbel School and at the University of Denver helps Conflict Resolution students find jobs by providing a variety of services including individual, customized help in career planning and job seeking strategies to both current students and alumni. These Career Centers acts as a bridge to facilitate the transition from the University to the world of work. They offer critiques of resumes and cover letters, interviewing tips, and much more. Their on-site resources range from job and internship listings, sample resumes & cover letters, employer directories, and a complete library of career planning and job search materials. Career counselors can also link you with alumni for informational interviews.

The Career Center's website (www.du.edu/career) offers on-campus recruiting information, career links, online career information, and a resume referral service.

Contact information: Location; Driscoll Center South
Phone: 303 871-2150
Email: career@du.edu

The Korbel School of International Studies, the organizational home of the Conflict Resolution Institute functions primarily to help the JKSIS students find jobs. However, their Career Service Office has graciously offered to make some of its rich resources available to CRI students, who may utilize the following:

JKSIS Career Web www.gsiscareerweb.com: online job, internship and fellowship listings. Access to career resources and Alumni Career Connections volunteers. For current students and alumni only! You must sign up on the JKSIS Career Web BEFORE you utilize career services.

KSIS Career Services Website (www.du.edu/gsis/career/index.html)
• Career Hot Links Page
• Internship Information
• Internship/Employment Statistics

KSIS Career Resource Center (CRC), Cherrington Hall, Room 122A
• Career management books, directories for internships and jobs
• Publications: Monday Developments, Chronicle of Higher Education, etc.
• Internship Reports
• Work and meeting space

Please Note: If conflict resolution students wishes to use the Career Center Assistance offered by the Korbel School, for personal counseling and attention, it is mandatory that they attend the three-hour Workshop sponsored by the Center during Fall Quarter orientation. Everyone who has participated, will be able to seek assistance from the Center throughout their graduate career, but not otherwise.

Return to top