The DU Sustainability Council meets on a monthly basis and everyone is invited to join us! Click here for the meeting schedule for academic year 2012-2013. The Sustainability Council also has a number of subcommittees, and anyone who'd like to serve on a committee is welcome. The Council has formed seven committees focused on investigating and addressing:
- Best Practices
- Curriculum and Research
- Facilities and Energy
- Food & Mindful Consumption Committee
- The Mindful Consumption Committee seeks to raise awareness among the DU community of the environmental impact of food consumption choices. The committee will work with the Sustainability Council to provide information and resources to help our community make mindful, sustainable, and healthy choices. We aim to make sustainable options—local, organic, seasonal, and fair trade food and drink—more available on campus, as we educate the campus community about the connection between nutrition and personal health. In addition, the committee supports student-led sustainability initiatives.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle
- The Mission of the DU Sustainability Council's Social Sustainability Committee is to ensure the long-term viability of our people (individuals and collectives). We advocate for change within the institution to ensure that DU proactively, intentionally and consistently engages social considerations, in addition to resource and financial considerations, in sustainability policies and practices. The committee has two priorities for winter & spring 2013. The first priority is develop a definition and criteria for socially sustainable purchasing (with food being the first category under review). The second priority is continue a conversation about ethical standards for corporate donors and begin the process of drafting a set of standards with constituents from across campus.
- Rocky Mountain Sustainability Summit
There are council members on each committee in addition to other members of the University community (more students, staff, and faculty). For more information, please email the chair of the committee(s) you're interested in (member list with email addresses).