Skip navigation

College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences

Communication Studies

comn header v2

Undergraduate Studies


What can I do with a Communication Studies degree?

Communication Studies majors learn how to be ethical members of their families, workplaces, and communities, as they learn to be effective communicators. Communication skills typically top the list of what hiring employers desire in their new employees, followed by several other qualities which students put into practice in COMN courses: integrity, the ability to relate well to others, analytic abilities, leadership and teamwork skills, and an ability to articulate one's ideas. Thus, Communication Studies majors have the ability to market themselves in nearly any career.

However, a number of occupations attract Communication Studies majors specifically. Some of them include:

Teacher, Clergy, 
Negotiator, Mediator (domestic or international), 
Social Worker, Youth Worker, 
Counselor, Psychologist

Lawyer, Legislative Aide, Paralegal, Legal Assistant, 
Elected Official, Campaign Manager, Speech Writer
, Legislative or Political Aide, Lobbyist,
 Foreign Service Officer, Translator

Writer/Author, Technical Writer, Greeting Card Writer, 
Publisher, Electronic Publication Specialist, 
Proofreader, Documentarian, Editorial Assistant

Producer TV, Film, Theater, Script Writer, Actor

Industrial & Labor Relations Specialist, Community Action Director, Advocate/Organizer

Bank Officer, Stock Broker, Real Estate Agent/Broker, Claims Adjuster/Examiner, 
Museum Director, Travel Agent
, Hotel, Restaurant, Hospitality Manager, 
Special Events Coordinator

Manager/Administrator, Credit Manager, Analyst
, Corporate Communications Director, Planning Director, Development Officer
, Human Resources Administrator/Manager, Personnel Specialist, Health Services Administrator, 
Training and Development Presenter, Interviewer, Recruiter, Recreation Coordinator
, Public Information Officer
, Fund Raiser

Public Relations Specialist/Assistant
, Advertising Account Executive, Manager, Copywriter

Fashion Merchandiser, Retail Manager, Customer Service Representative, Sales Representative

Television Regulator/Censor
, Sports Promoter/Agent
, News Writer/Editor
, Radio/TV Announcer, Reporter/Journalist, Reader, narrator, TV News Anchor
, Photographer, Photojournalist, Graphic Artist
, Contestant/Guest Coordinator, 
PSA (Public Service Announcement) Director, Broadcast Advertising Salesperson Market Research Specialist, Media Buyer, Media Manager, Market Research Analyst, 
Print Production Coordinator

How do I declare a major in communication studies?
  1. Fill out the Application to Declare or Change Major/Minor Form (PDF).
  2. Deliver a hardcopy of the application form to the director of undergraduate studies' mailbox in Sturm 200. The director will review and sign your form. Typically this takes 3 business days.
  3. Return to Sturm 200 to pick up your signed major form from the director's mailbox and deliver to the Registrar.
  4. Once your major form is processed, you'll receive an email from the assistant to the department chair, welcoming you to the program and informing you of your assigned advisor for your communication studies major.
Communication Studies Major Advising Requirements
  • Prior to each registration period all COMN majors must attend the Communication Studies drop-in advising sessions. These sessions are designed to review students’ progress toward their COMN major and to release student registration pins. These sessions are drop-in and students may come during the time that best suits their schedule. All COMN majors will be advised during these drop-in hours. During each session, one COMN faculty member is available for students who need a quick review and release of pin. A second faculty member is available for students needing more in-depth advice.
  • Each COMN major is required to bring a completed a Communication Studies Major Progress Review Form filled out using their Academic Progress Report (APR). The Communication Studies Major Progress Review Form is always available on the COMN Studies Webpage:
  • Please note, if you are a double major you can have your pin released by your second major. However, we do encourage attendance for double-majors in need of assistance with their COMN major.
I Am A Major.  Will I Have An Advisor?
  • All majors will be assigned a communication studies faculty member as their major advisor. Once major forms are processed, all majors receive an email from the assistant to the department chair, welcoming you to the major and informing you of your assigned advisor for your communication studies major.
  • Majors should consult with their assigned faculty advisor as needed throughout the academic year.  Additionally, prior to each registration period all COMN majors must attend the Communication Studies drop-in advising sessions.  Please see the FAQ entitled, "Communication Studies Major Advising Requirements" for more information on these advising sessions.
What are the requirements for the communication studies minor?

We have recently revised the requirements for the communication studies minor. Students who declared their minor prior to the 2012-2013 academic year may either complete the old minor requirements (PDF) or the current minor requirements (PDF). Students declaring Fall 2012 and after must complete the current minor requirements (PDF).

I Am A Minor. Will I have An Advisor?
  • Minors will be advised by the Director of Undergraduate Advising who can be contacted at
I am interested in doing an internship. Do I qualify for communication studies credit for an internship and if I qualify, what are the procedures for approval?

The purpose of completing an internship in communication studies is to allow students in senior standing to apply the skills and knowledge they have acquired through their major course of study. Below are a number of criteria that must be met in order to complete an internship.

  • Students interested in completing an internship during their senior year must have at least a 3.5 GPA.
  • Students must identify an internship that is fitting with their coursework and plan of study in the department.
  • Students must identify a faculty member in the department to advise the internship and whose expertise provides relevant knowledge to the purpose of the internship.

In order to be accepted into the internship program, students need to complete an application (PDF).

Communication Studies Study Abroad And Transfer Credit Approval Process

If you are interested in having a course taken abroad or at another institution evaluated for possible COMN credit, please visit the following link: First, check to see if your course has been approved previously. If it has not been previously approved, submit an approval request.

There are several guidelines that the Department of Communication Studies considers when evaluating study abroad and transfer courses for possible COMN credit:

  • Communication Studies will reject all requests for TSA approval from unaccredited institutions or for whom the transfer acceptance practice is unknown by the Registrar and/or Study Abroad office.
  • Students must upload a course description and course syllabus when filling out the online approval request form. If the syllabus is a language other than English, the syllabus must be translated prior to submission. TSA approval requests submitted without a syllabus will not evaluated for possible approval.
  • Students must specify the exact DU COMN course (e.g., COMN 1700) for which they are attempting to gain credit approval. Courses must be very closely allied to existing COMN courses. In other words, the course should be a very close equivalent to an existing COMN course.
  • It is the Communication Studies policy to ensure the integrity of the Common Curriculum of the major and minor programs.
Does COMN 1210 check off multiple requirements?

It depends. There are two answers to this question, depending on when a student started at DU and when they declared communication studies.

For students who started prior to Fall 2010 and declared communication studies prior to Fall 2010: Students who took SOCS 1210 can count this course toward SOCS or toward the major/minor, but not for both.  Students needed to complete this course for the major or minor. However, it doesn't matter where it counts (i.e., either for SOCS or the major or minor) as long as the student completed the course.

For students who started Fall 2010 or after or declared communication studies in Fall 2010 or after: COMN 1210 checks off multiple requirements. For those students, COMN 1210 checks off both a common curriculum and a communication studies major/minor requirement. However, the hours earned for COMN 1210 can only be counted once in the total 183 hours needed for graduation at DU.