Incomplete grades may be given only in the following circumstances:
- The student's work to date is passing;
- Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 60% of the term;
- An illness or other extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents completion of required work by the due date;
- Required work may reasonably be completed in an agreed-upon time frame;
- The incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade;
- The incomplete is not based solely on a student's failure to complete work or as a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grade report time;
- The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade before the end of the academic term;
- The instructor and student complete the Application for Incomplete Grade form before the end of the academic term.
Appropriate grades must be assigned in other circumstances. A failing grade and last date of attendance should be recorded for students who cease attending class without authorization. Students who are unable to complete a course and who do not meet these circumstances should consider dropping the course.
The following provisions for incomplete grades apply:
- It is in the student's best interest that incomplete grades be made up by the end of the following academic term. Incomplete grades must be made up and final grades submitted within one calendar year from the date Incomplete was recorded.
- The course work may be completed while the student is not enrolled.
- Incomplete grades will expire on the date selected by the professor when the grade of incomplete is entered. This date will be no more than one calendar year from the last day of classes of the quarter in which the incomplete was incurred. Faculty may enter a default grade which will appear on the transcript should the expiration deadline lapse without further action on the part of the student. Incomplete grades may be replaced with letter grades prior to the expiration deadline with faculty approval through PioneerWeb. Only in the most extenuating circumstances will extensions be granted beyond one calendar year. Reason for requests for extension may be added to Section IV of the Application for Incomplete Grade form, or in the "Comments" section of the Grade Change Request process online, and must be approved by instructor and Dean.
- This policy affects Incomplete grades given in Fall 1995 and thereafter. Prior to 1995, unchanged incompletes remain on the permanent record as part of hours attempted and are calculated as a failing (F) grade in the GPA.
- An Incomplete grade may not be considered passing for purposes of determining academic standing, federal financial aid eligibility, athletic eligibility, or other purposes.
- Notation of the original incomplete status of the grade remains on the student's transcript along with the final grade.
- An Incomplete should not be assigned when it is necessary for the student to attend additional class meetings to complete the course requirements. Students who receive an incomplete grade in a course must not reregister for the course in order to remove the "I".
An Incomplete is not to be assigned where the normal practice requires extension of course requirements beyond the close of a term, e.g., thesis or project type courses.
Application for Incomplete Grade form