Skip navigation

Office of the registrar

Transfers & Study Abroad

Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit Policies

Transfer credit for undergraduate students is administered in accordance with the University of Denver Undergraduate Transfer Policy. Graduate students should refer to the Graduate Policies and Procedures publication for information on graduate transfer policy.

Only course work recorded on an official transcript per the University's Transcript Acceptance Policy will be eligible for transfer.

Transcript Acceptance Policy

The University of Denver will consider paper transcripts official when delivered to the University of Denver in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution or a third-party agency acting on behalf of the institution.

The University of Denver will consider electronic transcripts official from a domestic institution provided the following criteria are met:

  1. The transcript is certified as official from the college or university using a third-party agency for the certification process. Approved agencies include Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS), National Student Clearinghouse, Naviance, Royall and Company, and Scrip-Safe.
  2. The transcript must be received from the third-party agency by a University official.
  3. The transcript must be a certified PDF document with no evidence of tampering. The transcript must be retrieved from a secure server. Emailed transcripts will not be considered official.
  4. The Office of the Registrar will take into consideration a third-party vendor other than the aforementioned agencies or e-transcripts generated by the institution as long as it is in certified PDF format and is retrieved from a secure server.

The University of Denver reserves the right to reject transcripts or request additional information if there is any question about the authenticity of the document. Transcripts with course work in progress will not be considered final.

Transfer Credit Equivalencies

Undergraduate students can look up transfer credit equivalencies, including credit earned through AP & IB exams in the Transfer & International Education Course Reporting System. Institutions or courses that do not appear in the database are not necessarily unacceptable for transfer. Institutions and courses will continue to be added as they are evaluated and equivalencies are established.

AP and IB Credit

University of Denver awards transfer credit for Advanced Placement (AP) and Higher Level International Baccalaureate (IB) exam scores that meet the criteria.  The college will award up to 45 total quarter hours for credit. To review credit earned from an exam, refer to the AP and IB Credit.  For additional information and/or questions regarding AP or IB credit, contact


Continuing students seeking to transfer credit into the University of Denver must abide by the transfer policy, including residence and concurrent registration restrictions, and obtain approval in advance from the admission and transfer coordinator in the Office of the Registrar. Courses listed in the Transfer & International Education Course Reporting System do not require additional departmental approval.

For course work not listed in the database, students must obtain approval via the Request Coursework Approval Form in PioneerWeb.

New students who are not satisfied with their transfer evaluation will also need the approval of the appropriate department in order to make any changes. They will need to complete the Request Coursework Approval Form in PioneerWeb. Situations where a student might do this include:

  • A course they believe should transfer did not.
  • A course they believe should count towards their major/minor does not.
  • A course they believe should fulfill a common curriculum requirement does not.
  • A course that was brought in as an elective they believe has an equivalent course at the University of Denver.

Study Abroad

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for applying coursework and credit hours from abroad programs to a student's academic record. If you are interested in studying abroad, or are currently abroad, the Office of International Education (303-871-4912 or can provide you with any information or advising you may need. If you have returned from a program and your abroad coursework is not counting toward the correct requirements, please contact the study abroad coordinator (303-871-4985 or in the Office of the Registrar for more information.